Riding course required gear | GTAMotorcycle.com

Riding course required gear

Canuckles

Hey guys one more thing I should ask my training with learning curves is happening on the 22nd and 23rd of this month. I already have a helmet and gloves that meet regulations but the info packet for the course says to bring both denim pants and a sturdy jacket preferably with padding. I don’t really wanna drop $400-$500 on those fancy riding jackets would I be alright with my hi vis work jacket and jeans? Sorry if this is a dumb question just I don’t really see myself wearing a riding jacket too much and I hardly see many riders wearing them either

A denim jacket should work if you button it up enough. It needs to somewhat heavyweight and tear resistant. The descriptions have become more vague as manufacturers have put things like kevlar shirts on the market. A leather (not fashion leather) jacket will also work. The high vis work jacket I have, is crap. It's just cheap polyester with some insulation. Not sure if yours is better. Take a rain jacket and sunglasses with you in any case.

You should be able to contact them and have them check your gear beforehand.

A denim jacket will work if you button it up enough. It needs to somewhat heavyweight and tear resistant. The descriptions have become more vague as manufacturers have put things like kevlar shirts on the market. A leather (not fashion leather) jacket will also work. The high vis work jacket I have, is crap. It's just cheap polyester with some insulation. Not sure if yours is better. Take a rain jacket and sunglasses with you in any case.
Understood my jacket is pretty decent in terms of tear resistance. I work heavy labour at an airport and in 10 months with a few close calls and a few not my fault injuries there’s been no tears so far. It also doubles as a rain jacket and I’ll bring sunglasses but my helmet also has a drop down sun visor

Understood my jacket is pretty decent in terms of tear resistance. I work heavy labour at an airport and in 10 months with a few close calls and a few not my fault injuries there’s been no tears so far. It also doubles as a rain jacket and I’ll bring sunglasses but my helmet also has a drop down sun visor
Let’s just say this without my work jacket I’m tall and pretty skinny. With the jacket on I look about 300-350lbs

Buy the best gear you can afford, and wear it. Your training is about making you a safer rider. That means wearing safe gear too. There are places to buy used gear. I have an old Scorpion jacket and pants with armour. You can have it for $50.

Buy the best gear you can afford, and wear it. Your training is about making you a safer rider. That means wearing safe gear too. There are places to buy used gear. I have an old Scorpion jacket and pants with armour. You can have it for $50.
I’ll take it man that would be amazing though I will say I have pretty long arms but I can make due if they’re a little short I definitely don’t want to skimp out on safety stuff so that would be amazing

This is what I used.
Rented it for the weekend for around $100 or so. After getting a feel for what I liked, spent a decent amount on proper riding gear that I still use to this day as it fits me well.

One thing I would probably look into is whether you want leather or goretex (more breatheable) type material. On hot summer days its quite the ordeal taking me leather jacket off lol.

Yo this might be a good option as well thank you so much. Another person on here might be selling me a jacket and pants for $50 but if they don’t fit I’m definitely gonna look into this

Hey guys one more thing I should ask my training with learning curves is happening on the 22nd and 23rd of this month. I already have a helmet and gloves that meet regulations but the info packet for the course says to bring both denim pants and a sturdy jacket preferably with padding. I don’t really wanna drop $400-$500 on those fancy riding jackets would I be alright with my hi vis work jacket and jeans? Sorry if this is a dumb question just I don’t really see myself wearing a riding jacket too much and I hardly see many riders wearing them either
Heavy Denim is the bare minimum for jacket and pants.

Your instructors will go over the requirements with you during in class. What date and location is your class? PM me if you prefer.

I'm 5'9"/170lb. I'm in Waterloo btw.

Yea take a look at the Re-Gear store in Oshawa. When I sold them my almost new Jacket and gloves. I was surprised to see the amount of items they had and the prices were reasonable. They also have some newer items from lesser known manufactures and yet they they are still good quality.
You can also negotiate whatever price they marked on the item.
They also have a web site and link to their Kijji page. So you can browse some items ahead of time.

I bought a inexpensive joe rocket jacket for my training course, like $60 from cycleworld in Scarborough. And gloves and helmet. Then use an old pair of steel toe boots. Continued to use the jacket and boots for a season or so of riding until I got better gear.

Re-gear is a good suggestion. Not all their stuff is used, some of it is new, but end of run, last year's etc.

Just got an email from GP Bikes that they're having a no tax sale from April 7-10 both online and in store...if you aren't working today might be a good idea to go check it out (and Royal Distributing is down the street, but I haven't heard of their no tax sale dates yet)...

Back
Top Bottom