Rider Aids hate | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rider Aids hate

I haven't ridden a bike with computerized help but I remember the old days of vehicle TC and it was miserable. Trying to climb a very icy hill near my parents and was going to make it as I had a big run up with lots of speed and TC chopped the throttle and slammed on the brakes to try to help me and control wheel spin. Didn't make it over and it was too icy to stay in place so now I was spinning down the icy hill. F you TC, F you. Newer TC is much much better.
Used to go up an icy Morningside, on bald tires, to Scarborough College, almost exactly the opposite of the way that you wanted to.
Wheelspin is usually what stops you from making it.

This really depends on how programmable the TC is and how much you can dial it back depending on the terrain. It's far from automatic, one setting definitely does not fit all situations.

A lot of ADV bikes boast that you can turn TC completely off in Enduro mode, but I'm sure street bikes don't have this option.

On a not-too-unrelated note, IIRC, you can't turn off ABS completely in Euro-5 compliant motorcycles.

Looks like Euro 5 bikes can have ABS turned off. This is from Aprilia’s website with regards to the 2021 RSV4’s and Tuono’s. Key words “can be disengaged and adjusted to….”

“The ABS 9MP unit constitutes the maximum point of distinction and technology available today: the system, weighing in at just 2 kg, can be disengaged and adjusted to 3 different levels by easily accessing the sophisticated instrumentation control menu”

ABS behaviour may vary depending on where the bike is in the world (i.e. whose regulations it is configured for). The EU mandates ABS but apparently allows rear ABS to be turned off. There is no requirement for ABS in the North American market, so it is possible that those sold in North America are configured to allow ABS to be turned completely off.

The regulations can't prohibit a technical fault from happening ... a technical fault like a no-longer-present fuse. I am aware of cases where ABS can be disabled by removing a carefully chosen fuse, and the rest of the bike doesn't complain (or at most, merely turns on a fault-warning lamp). It is also conceivable that the whole bike goes into a limp-home mode if that happens. All depends on how the system is programmed.

You can't "our crash ratio has reduced by 400%"

Maybe he meant a 75% reduction (1/4 the crashes)? Or maybe the riders were so good with TC they were reversing previous crashes....

Had my BMW in Dynamic Pro mode (all nannies turned off) for the past few months. Have destroyed a brand new S22 rear tire in under 3000km so I've been forced to turn the nannies back on (Dynamic, so least intrusive) just to keep from spinning up the rear and destroying tires.

Back
Top Bottom