Ride the Divide *pics* | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ride the Divide *pics*

The fire NW of us still hasn't been quelled, but at least it's contained and we don't have to evacuate our campsite.

No matter, today, we're not straying far. We've been told to go visit Hartman Rocks in the area, and when we looked at the map:

map-X2.jpg

LOL! It's right behind us! The road that leads there is literally a few hundred metres from our campsite!

We happily ditched the bike's luggage, they're filled with tools and spares and the rest of our emergency kit. If anything happens to us at Hartman Rocks, one of us can just ride back or we can just walk back to the campsite and grab whatever we need! :D

Hartman Rocks is a primarily an OHV recreation area, so ATVs, 4x4s and dirtbikes are totally welcome. In fact, there is a "Motorcycle Terrain Park" on our side of the the park, and it takes us 5 minutes to get there.

We find out it's a the "Terrain Park" is actually a huge Motocross track! COOOOOOL!

Neither of us have ever ridden an MX track before, and thankfully, because it was a weekday, there were only a couple of riders on the big track. We watched them do huge jumps, one of them was doing insane scrubs in the air. It was amazing, but we didn't want to enter the track while they were on, for fear of holding them up.

Thankfully, there was a beginner track right next to it, so we did a few laps.

IMG_2978-X2.jpg

So much fun!

When we're just riding twisty roads in the dirt, every turn is new and different, so you can't really fine-tune your technique. When you're doing the same corner, over and over again, you can play around and vary your body position, speed, etc. and figure out what works and what doesn't. Just like track days!

The two guys that were on the big MX track came in to take a break, so while they were resting, Neda and I went out to give it a try.

Holy smokes. The jump faces were super-steep!

mx_jump-X2.jpg

Ready for take-off!

The track is pretty long, about 1 mile (1.6 kms) and had everything, jumps, berms, sand, whoops.

We came in and parked next to the guy doing the jumps to say hi.

He said he'd only been doing MX for three years. Wow! He was amazing. Young guy, so that kinda explained it. He was riding a 250 XC and we checked out his bike and he checked out ours.

"Your bikes look... heavy"

He said it in the same way you'd say to someone who brought a Goldwing to a racetrack. LOL!

We explained we were spending a few weeks trail riding all over Colorado.

"That explains it!"

We asked him about the routes around Hartman Rocks and he took out a map and showed us some good spots for us to ride. So we thanked him, got the hell off his MX track :) and hit the trails!

hartman_rocks_6-X2.png

Hartman Rocks Rec Area is 22 square acres of trails with 44 miles of single-track trails and 45 miles of road. It's got a mix of everything, trails for dirtbikes and mountain bikes, rocks for 4x4s to crawl on, camping, etc. The rocks are the same kind of slickrock that we rode in Moab last year. Very cool!

All the while we were riding around the area, I kept thinking about the MX track. I had a really good time and I thought, man, I wish I had started out on a dirtbike when I was a kid - I'd be such a better rider now. I'm gonna see if there are any MX tracks back home.

hartman_rocks_1-X2.jpg

Off the main trail, there are these little off-shoots which lead up to some of the slickrock formations

We pass a sign saying "4x4 Only". *shrug* anything 4WD can do, 1WD can do!

I charge up a set of rocks.

IMG_3003-X2.jpg

Uh oh. Now what?

IMG_3009-X2.jpg

The descent of shame...

I'm not skilled, nor brave enough to climb over the last little bit... :(

We ride more around the main trail, gawking at the amazing rocks around us.

DSCN5048-X2.jpg

Stopping often to take in the scenery and take lots of pictures

At the east end of the park, there's a nice little hill climb which leads up to a plateau where we can get a nice view of the park and the city to the north.

DSCN5049-X2.jpg

Just a small sample of some of the great tracks around Hartman Rocks

DSCN5052-X2.jpg

The town of Gunnison, just behind Neda

DSCN5056-X2.jpg

Obligatory posing shot

Very cool area! We descend and head into town.

Back
Top Bottom