Resources for off-road riding in Ontario? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Resources for off-road riding in Ontario?

Jampy00

Site Supporter
As I'm still in the process of switch over to an ADV motorcycle, I figured I'd start to build my knowledge up on how, where, when you can ride off road in Ontario.
I want to ensure I comply with all local laws etc. so thought it best to ask those that already have some experience in this category.

Just to be clear I have no experience off road and my bike is equipped with 80/20 tires which I have no plans to change until required.
Looking mainly for "light" off road use to start. Think a gravel road, plus a few hilly bumps and gentle turns, I have no plans to be "extreme".. lol

I'll start my google search as well and hopefully we'll meet somewhere in the middle..

I like wandering in mulmur. Not many exceptional roads worth a specific mention but lots of windy gravel roads with lots of elevation. Between the fun roads, the views are nice (if you don't mind wind turbines). Similarly, around terra cotta there is some nice exploring. If you want to get more adventurous, unmaintained road allowances are a step up (and no pass required). They can quickly get more adventurous than you want though. Quite a few locations are a steep slippery downhill into a bog. Not easy to turn a big pig around and they aren't happy in the mud.

Which tires does it come with? Tourance? My experience with them was at pace, on gravel roads you got a wandering feeling (like an expanded metal bridge). Not confidence inspiring but they never did anything sudden or unexpected.

Most proper "trails" will require a pass from the local trail authority (SCORRA, GRCA, etc).

Who you callin' a "Big Pig" :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for the information. As for tires OEM are Michelin Scorcher's
This is why I stated "light" off road
michelinoem.jpg

There might be some useful information on Gravel Travel Canada - Home

On Google Maps, search for "Forest Access Road". Lots of these don't have proper names, so you'll see multiple hits scattered all over the place. If you zoom in you'll find many options in the rectangle between Bancroft-BonEcho-Madoc-KawarthaHighlands. I haven't done any of these in many years though, so can't tell you what the road conditions are like.

Do yourself a favour and join Advrider.

There's a Canada section that people regularly post up their rides and maps, so you can easily find roads in your area or where you want to travel to. The keyword you're looking for is "big-bike friendly" and most of the posters will either have pictures of their ride or have their bike listed in their sig so you know what they're doing those roads on.

Though some of the more experienced guys can out-ride MX bikes on their "big pigs"... :)

As I'm still in the process of switch over to an ADV motorcycle, I figured I'd start to build my knowledge up on how, where, when you can ride off road in Ontario.
I want to ensure I comply with all local laws etc. so thought it best to ask those that already have some experience in this category.

Just to be clear I have no experience off road and my bike is equipped with 80/20 tires which I have no plans to change until required.
Looking mainly for "light" off road use to start. Think a gravel road, plus a few hilly bumps and gentle turns, I have no plans to be "extreme".. lol

I'll start my google search as well and hopefully we'll meet somewhere in the middle..
You're probably looking for on-road adventures -- not off-road. There are plenty of logging, fire and hydro access roads in Ontario, some a few KM long, others are networks that go for days worth of riding.

For a bike your size, the typical off-road destinations like the Granny and Trans Canada Adventure Trail (TCAT) are not good starting points. Here is a link to the gravelly roads in Ontario (it would take a lifetime to hit them all )

You going to do a course with Trail Tours?
You could always ask them, as well.

You're probably looking for on-road adventures -- not off-road. There are plenty of logging, fire and hydro access roads in Ontario, some a few KM long, others are networks that go for days worth of riding.

For a bike your size, the typical off-road destinations like the Granny and Trans Canada Adventure Trail (TCAT) are not good starting points. Here is a link to the gravelly roads in Ontario (it would take a lifetime to hit them all )

Exactly - Thanks!

I don't know where you are but this one looks like a nice ride. I intend to do it in the near future.

They have a number of routes that look appealing.

As others have said and you've noted yourself you're looking for gravel roads, unopened/summer only road allowances and some rail trails. There's lots of good gravel out here in Northumberland County and not too far north it gets better.

What area of Ontario are you thinking of exploring?
Ganny and Northumberland forests are pretty sandy so I’d avoid those although you’re welcome to try out my KTM in the dirt if you want some experience. Can show you around plenty of ADV-friendly gravel/dirt in Northumberland.

I'm in Halton Hills. So I'll start close to home and work my way out.

There’s a fair bit round my way if you want a destination ride. Look up “Wheelers Pancake House”. That’s off a nice easy dirt/gravel road and there’s a lot of others around there too. Calabogie area has a lot but some of them are gnarly (rocks) and sandy.

There’s a fair bit round my way if you want a destination ride. Look up “Wheelers Pancake House”. That’s off a nice easy dirt/gravel road and there’s a lot of others around there too. Calabogie area has a lot but some of them are gnarly (rocks) and sandy.
Nice, thanks for letting me know.

Have you tired any gravel/dirt with your bike? I've done a little and like it so far, even with the stock street touring tires it does ok.

Have you tired any gravel/dirt with your bike? I've done a little and like it so far, even with the stock street touring tires it does ok.
I've done some gravel roads, nothing crazy but found it enjoyable.

Great thread BTW,
I'm in your hood as well. Would love to go exploring for these roads as well.

Back
Top Bottom