Recommending small bikes for new riders in the GTA | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommending small bikes for new riders in the GTA

my congratulations to you Sir, it took you only a month to understand what took the rest of us years, you have the game beat!! Well done

having said all that I think anything less than a S1000RR or an R1M will just not do for you.........off to the BMW dealership you go

You payin'?

While I personally think you could learn a lot more from the n300, I also don't feel that an sv is a huge step. Lots of people start out from the get go on an sv, no worries.
I also don't see how someone asking about a bike like the sv gets the automatic " dude you need an s1000rr". It's not like he was asking about SS bikes.
Sevet, ride what you like, enjoy your ninja in the meanwhile.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

While I personally think you could learn a lot more from the n300, I also don't feel that an sv is a huge step. Lots of people start out from the get go on an sv, no worries.
I also don't see how someone asking about a bike like the sv gets the automatic " dude you need an s1000rr". It's not like he was asking about SS bikes.
Sevet, ride what you like, enjoy your ninja in the meanwhile.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk
I think the people bringing up the liter bikes were Probably trolling him

I think the people bringing up the liter bikes were Probably trolling him
hard.... trolling very hard.
they were probably saying it on that tone too
71c3931c1edc4353a0c03ec549753b965872a2c343c09255617f4470cbd924ed.jpg

SV650 would be a decent step up, different gearing by a long shot
Personally i like my shifting so im enjoying my 500,
the 650s are pretty forgiving too but maybe not as well "balanced" as lots of them have their centre of gravity higher, so where your 300 will handle without thinking about it, the 650 might just require a tiny adjustment in how you do things.

hope you do what makes you happy but that keeps you "safe" enough from your own self :p

Better to figure out what you want to ride, and where you want to ride it first. That's another of the reasons to get a small (inexpensive) bike first. There aren't many people who enjoy riding along long straight superslab as far as the eye can see, and in fact my ten pound cat could do that; the bike doesn't really need a rider at that point, just a throttle lock. For myself, the idea is to turn a 5 minute ride into a 15 minute one, a 5 hour ride, into 8, and be able to take stuff and a passenger for the trip. For others, it's to show off all the work they've put into their bike, others their mad skillz. Still others like to go really off the beaten path. With a small bike, you can do many of these things, so the idea is to A) learn to ride B) find your niche. There are other threads here that will tell you what happens when someone starts on a bike too big, and there are people who started big, and still don't realize what they're missing.

You're just using your bike to commute & you think you've mastered it? There's more to riding a bike than just feathering & releasing the clutch.

Ride your bike for a year get experience then upgrade to a busa. But be warned when you come to a group ride & get smoked by a 600 don't blame the bike

You're just using your bike to commute & you think you've mastered it? There's more to riding a bike than just feathering & releasing the clutch.

Ride your bike for a year get experience then upgrade to a busa. But be warned when you come to a group ride & get smoked by a 600 don't blame the bike

anyone have videos of 300s smoking Supersports on tracks or canyons?

Maybe you should've read the original post a tiny bit closer...

Now I'm not saying I'm a good or bad rider, I know I have A LOT to learn. I know that, but that doesn't change how underwhelmed I felt.

Better to figure out what you want to ride, and where you want to ride it first. That's another of the reasons to get a small (inexpensive) bike first. There aren't many people who enjoy riding along long straight superslab as far as the eye can see, and in fact my ten pound cat could do that; the bike doesn't really need a rider at that point, just a throttle lock. For myself, the idea is to turn a 5 minute ride into a 15 minute one, a 5 hour ride, into 8, and be able to take stuff and a passenger for the trip. For others, it's to show off all the work they've put into their bike, others their mad skillz. Still others like to go really off the beaten path. With a small bike, you can do many of these things, so the idea is to A) learn to ride B) find your niche. There are other threads here that will tell you what happens when someone starts on a bike too big, and there are people who started big, and still don't realize what they're missing.

Well like I mentioned in my original post, I have a blast when I do hit fun stretches of road and I know there's so much I still have to learn.

So with that said, where does everybody find these stretches of road on a daily/regular basis? Is there a secret underground motorcycle track in Toronto that I don't know about? :D

Got my license last year and bought a FZ09 as my first bike. I'm going to begin by saying I wish I bought a 300 to start. I LOVE my bike, don't get me wrong, but I can't ride my bike at the skill level that its meant to be ridden with.
I always think that if I had started with a 300 I could have learned to ride that bike to its full potential, honing skills in a narrower amount of time that I could have then translated to the FZ09.

Just going to take me longer to build my skills on this 850cc beast.

And if someone still decides to go for a 100hp+ bike as their first ride keep your right wrist low.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Got my license last year and bought a FZ09 as my first bike. I'm going to begin by saying I wish I bought a 300 to start. I LOVE my bike, don't get me wrong, but I can't ride my bike at the skill level that its meant to be ridden with.
I always think that if I had started with a 300 I could have learned to ride that bike to its full potential, honing skills in a narrower amount of time that I could have then translated to the FZ09.

Just going to take me longer to build my skills on this 850cc beast.

And if someone still decides to go for a 100hp+ bike as their first ride keep your right wrist low.

If the power or acceleration scares you just throw it in a rain mode or whatever is the name for the mild mode until you learn to ride the slower bike fast ..... There's no shame in doing that. Definitely, less shameful than binning it and start replacing parts.

If the power or acceleration scares you just throw it in a rain mode or whatever is the name for the mild mode until you learn to ride the slower bike fast ..... There's no shame in doing that. Definitely, less shameful than binning it and start replacing parts.
The power and acceleration is thrilling! 'A' mode is my primary setting when I ride. I use the bike for commuting between downtown and etobicoke. Its tough going back to B mode when you've felt A , hahaha

Maybe you should've read the original post a tiny bit closer...
Then you've answered your question. Just get a zx14 & be done with it

OP - what kind of answer were you hoping to get here?? "you are 100% right, go for the big bike"??? give your head a shake

will you die if you start on a bigger bike?? probably not

will you become a better rider if you start on a bigger bike?? probably not

I started on a bigger bike, and after a few bikes (600's and a 750) got a DRZ with 30 something horsepower and had more fun on it than I did on all the other bikes combined, that is also when I started seeing a big improvement in my riding skills, why?? because the bike wasn't intimidating and I could really push it to see what it can do, and what I can do on it.

simple answer is get whatever you want, its your life and your money, just dont ask others to justify your emotion driven decisions.

The 300 was a good choice as a starter bike. It has tons of passing power, just drop a couple gears and pass. Unless you hop on a supersport you won't be blowing by anyone without downshifting. Even on my cbr600rr I downshift when I pass. However most times when there aren't cars coming the other way I'll leave it in 6th and slowly cruise by.

Trust me when I say it's more fun to go fast on a slow bike, than slow on a fast bike.

Plus you don't want a SS for commuting, they aren't very comfortable. If you find discomfort with the 300, multiply that by 3, and that's what it's like to ride a SS lol.

If I were you I'd stick it out this year on the 300. Take it to some roads with very technical corners, like rated at 40 kmh and learn to corner. Plus it's better to dump a cheap bike than an expensive one.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The power and acceleration is thrilling! 'A' mode is my primary setting when I ride. I use the bike for commuting between downtown and etobicoke. Its tough going back to B mode when you've felt A , hahaha

I hear people say that all the time, but I never get it ... the other than "full-power" modes are almost always worse for slow street riding, more so commuting. Usually, the middle of the road mode is the one which is more smooth and yet still plenty of power to be entertained with. How quickly the power comes on is useless if you cannot use all of it (especially for a commute from the lovely downtown to Etobicoke) .... and that is usually the difference between A and B mode. Sure the straight line acceleration might be a tiny bit less thrilling, but who really cares about straight line?

I think the hype of a faster bike is making you miss the point. The 300 is literally perfect for commuting. I had one for 2 years and did trips to Pennsylvania, Tennessee and Lake Placid. Sure your *** hurts cuz the seat is cardboard but the bike can do long hwy stretches no problem. I've tracked a 300 and 250 (way more fun than my 600) and taken it to the Dragon. Bike keeps up no problem. Get more familiar with it and maybe sign up for a track day too. enjoy what you have for now cuz if you move up you may find yourself saying "my 300 did this better". I know I do.

Back
Top Bottom