Recommendations to get slight used or new tires? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recommendations to get slight used or new tires?

If the bike was stored indoors and the tires not exposed to sun rays or an ozone source, and if they were periodically driven on, they may be still good. Look for cracking and discoloration.
What's the manufacturing date on them? Last 4 digits of the DOT code.
What brand and model?

Don't ever buy used tires. Unless you really know what to look for. Even if you do, there could be a pinhole somewhere that won't be detected until the tire is inflated.

Recently, I have been finding that Adrian (Ace Mototech in Milton) has the best prices for rubber. Not sure what his install rate is though as I install tires myself.

Last edited:
Keep in mind the tires passed safety so they at least met a minimum tread depth. You can always buy a small tool from Cdn Tire to measure the tread depth. How many kms on the bike ?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

get some fresh rubber IMO if nothing else it'll give you more confidence.

you can order online from Petes superbike and have a local shop install or go to any reputable local shop and they'll be able to supply and install for you

Another good option - I did end up buying one of the tires for my wifes first bike a few years ago from GP - I had no shame and showed them my phone screen with the CanadasMotorcycle page open to the tire I wanted, with the price clearly shown. They came within $15 or $20 of matching that price which I was cool with - had the install done there when it came in. FWIW their MSRP on that same tire was close to $100 more than Canadas Motorcycle/Fortnine was however, so it was very worthwhile getting them to come close on the price match.
Similar situation here. Ordered a chain on F9 for $160~ but it was 4 links short due to previous owner changing sprockets. Was in a pinch so I went to GP. They wanted $220, told them that's ridiculous, it's 160~ and free shipping from F9 and they price matched.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Avom Roadriders are also a good tire for the ninja 250

Basically where ever I get the tires from, someone needs to balance them and install them... Right?

And GPbikes price matches?

Can anyone install the tires? Should I do that or attempt?

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

No, do not attempt! Go to GP or whichever shop is closest. Also, you're changing a tire on a bike not putting a man on the moon. Stop overthinking this and change the tire already.

Sorry to thread hijack, Im in the same situation as OP, got a used bike, tread is fine however the tires are already 6 years old.

would there be an issue if I get new tires that are radial, when my owner's manual says my tires are bias-ply?

Sorry to thread hijack, Im in the same situation as OP, got a used bike, tread is fine however the tires are already 6 years old.

would there be an issue if I get new tires that are radial, when my owner's manual says my tires are bias-ply?

No worries about the hijack. I was actually following you on your quest to get a bike and you even suggested I go with your second choice while you were out shopping ;)

We are both new to this and every little bit helps especially from experienced members on here. Thanks BTW! ;)

Any of the major brands will be fine for the 250s at your current riding abilities. just make sure the tires are "fresh"....made in the last couple of years or less. No point replacing 6 yr old with 4 year old tires.

I'll go on full hijack mode then :)

How easy is it to take out both wheels (provided that I have both stands and the tools)? Going this route because I want to learn (the other 90% being that I'm a cheapskate). Any tips to avoid any errors?

P.S. going to order from Pete's, how "fresh" are their tires?

How easy is it to take out both wheels (provided that I have both stands and the tools)? Going this route because I want to learn (the other 90% being that I'm a cheapskate). Any tips to avoid any errors?

Takes about 5 min after you do it a few times. Be aware of which wheel spacer goes where as you take it apart. Put spacers back on axle while wheels are off in proper order so you don't have to quess when reassembling.

Takes me more than 5 min. I must be slow even if I have been taking the exact same set off for over a decade.

You're nearby...I could come by and point and laugh as you take the wheels off.

Last edited:

It's easy. Big axle nut on the rear and then pull the axle out. Front will have the axle nut and 4 pinch bolts to remove then pull the axle out. It can be a pain lining up the brake rotor into the pads/caliper the first time but not a big deal. Watch a couple video's on youtube and get a copy of the service manual for the proper torque values and also the proper installation of the front wheel to get the fork aligned correctly.

Pete's sell's in a pretty high volume so I would expect the tires you purchase to be pretty fresh.

Edit: I wouldn't get brave and decide you're going to spoon the tires onto the wheels yourself. It looks easy in videos but it sucks like really really sucks. Get the wheels off and take them into a shop for the tire install.

1819884492d2184cd6cbe4c31d178ffc.jpg
REAR

80eb1b601ac48baafeabb1eea96738cc.jpg
Front

Just wanted to post the treads on my tires for reference. Should I even bother getting new tires now while I am getting used to riding? I know I need seat time. What is your take?

Sent from my Pixel using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom