Recent movies you saw - recommend or no | Page 123 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Recent movies you saw - recommend or no

Just saw "Hidden Figures" today. Really good movie. Reminded me of just how much things have changed over just my lifetime.

... and how much they haven't.

Last edited:
I had to turn off Swiss army men. I just didn't get it, at all.
I left the room when hubby watched sausage party. That was stupid imo and the swearing was almost insulting. Pick some new words!

Captain fantastic was great. I read a book very similar to that years ago. Right now I'm reading Mildred Pierce and loving it so I'll start searching for an old copy of the original. I watch a lot of movies this way.

Also enjoyed hell or high water

Just watched Mastermind last night, amusing story of the Loomis robbery.

Pity that Captain Fantastic didn't get the nod at the SAG Awards, last night. I would have loved to see Trin Miller (who played the dead wife in flashbacks) be part of an award winning cast, only a couple of years after she moved from Seattle to Hollyweird. I've supported several indie films she's been in, via Kickstarter.

Hologram for the king. Don't bother.

Same as book, clever until you are waiting for something to happen. Nothing does. Thank dog for Tom Hanks and cast. Well acted, but for me it mirrored the book. Amused right up til the end.

Hacksaw Ridge - True story, and a darn good one. Recommended.

I Daniel Blake. Don't watch it if you're feeling a bit down, it's not a happy film. It's pretty raw but very powerful.

Arrival was good.

Sexy Beast not so much.

Skyjacker and The Apology were both interesting documentaries as well as Under the Sun if I didn't mention that here previously.

Last edited:
"John Wick: Chapter 2" - Big dumb Gun-Fu fun. Don't look for a deep storyline. You won't find one. You will, however, get to see a little deeper into that world's assassins' league.

On another issue why, in a virtually empty theatre would three people choose to sit down in a less than optimal location and play with their cell phones.

... in front of someone sitting alone.

... wearing all black.

... with a beard.

... while watching a movie about a guy wearing all black, with a beard, who kills hundreds of people.

I was really looking forward to watching Arrival. Started off fine, then it became really cluttered. Not sure I rate it that much, almost trying to be too clever.

I was really looking forward to watching Arrival. Started off fine, then it became really cluttered. Not sure I rate it that much, almost trying to be too clever.

I enjoyed it overall but, admittedly, it was tough to accept that a hard science guy suddenly became a linguist. Not perfect, but not bad.

Passengers - predictable but mildly enjoyable.

The Iron Giant - watched it a bazillion times and it never gets old.

Made it through Planet Earth 2. Again really well done.

"John Wick: Chapter 2" - Big dumb Gun-Fu fun. Don't look for a deep storyline. You won't find one. You will, however, get to see a little deeper into that world's assassins' league.

On another issue why, in a virtually empty theatre would three people choose to sit down in a less than optimal location and play with their cell phones.

... in front of someone sitting alone.

... wearing all black.

... with a beard.

... while watching a movie about a guy wearing all black, with a beard, who kills hundreds of people.

very.dark.rob.lol(mymacwon'tletmedospacesgrr)

"Dead West"

First I have to say that I'm definitely a "B" movie kind of guy and this one definitely qualifies. I'll follow that up by saying I was quite surprised to immediately recognize the voice of the "motel redneck" in the first few minutes of the movie as belonging Scott C. Brown. Hell, I've been on his podcast, so I wasn't going to forget that voice. I knew that Trin Miller had a small voice part as a radio newscaster, but had no idea how many faces I was going to recognize in it; Scott, Tom Brophy, Lisa Coronado, Meagan Naser.

With that out of the way, I quite liked it. It's the story of a serial killer out on the road, looking for love. It came off as vaguely Tarantinoesque, without the gratuitous buckets of fake blood. Hey, fake blood costs money and remember, this is a "B" movie. The violence mostly takes place off-camera and Brian Sutherland does a good job of pulling off the smarmy-slick "Ladykiller." Overall a good watch.

Last edited:
I saw Split yesterday and found it pretty good. Co-worker and gf agree. Not quite what I expected, though.

John Wick 2 is as good as the first. I enjoyed it.

Lego Batman.
Not as good as The Lego Movie. But very enjoyable none the less. Seemed to be more adult jokes and cultural references than for children.

...I LOVED the nod to "Hot Rod" when Batman asks the team to search around for supplies and see if they can find "a couple of vitamin waters".

Back
Top Bottom