Rebuilding a 2 stroke? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rebuilding a 2 stroke?

I've been doing my tests "cold" (not completely cold but not at operating temp) to reduce the chance of me burning myself. Just found out I should be doing them hot. Would that make a significant difference in my numbers?

2 attempts to make a short video failed due to interruption, so forget that :mad:

Do both tests, if there is a big difference in numbers, you got issues.
I prefer cold test because that's a truer test than hot, almost any engine that runs will show better compression numbers when the metals expand with heat and make a tighter seal.
Bumping up the compression is good for racing as stated, but not for long term use.
If you run it long and hard, you're better off with a lower stress motor and make sure it isn't running too lean.

DELBOY: may i ask how much hp your tuned bike was making?

and where did you have the machine work done? sounds like your bike was a good runner.

I would love to take all the credit but I can't really take any :)

I got a Mick Abbey tuned barrel from the UK and had it replated and Precision Cycle in Oshawa did all the machining on the head.

This is Mick's dyno run for his tune with his pipe - http://mickabbeytuning.co.uk/RS125-dyno.shtml

I had Sandy set it up for me on his dyno and with the different head and pipe it was 33.5

Of course you could take it to another dyno and it could be +/- 5hp as they all measure different.

That was with the Arrow pipe on it

Well I got another tester from Part Source and did it hot.

Might actually be worse.

j2Upqqx.jpg

I am wondering if something's wrong now but it still runs great...

Just a question, how many times are you turning the engine over during the test?

Just a question, how many times are you turning the engine over during the test?
Many... I don't count I just hold the starter for a few seconds until the needle stops rising. Then hold it again two more times because I don't like the number.

Just asking. :) The first time I used a compression tester on my ktm, I gave it one kick, saw 20psi and freaked out lol. Now I know better.
Edit: rofl at your edit!

that is a cylinder leak down tester, only does top end, to do the bottom end on a 2-stroke you use a pressure
tester

whoops, i didnt even look at the pic. the "pressure tester" is often called a leak down tester. the word "cylinder" in your description should have clued me in. duh.

is it as fast as it used to be, before the engine trouble started?
Seems pretty much the same. I haven't attempted to top it out yet but it'll do 115 or so just fine. Also, we did drop the compression a tad which would result in slightly reduced performance.

how did you drop the C.R. ? and im wondering why? unintentionally?
Because it's better for longevity and I like to take it on long highway trips.

My understanding was bitzz just used one of the cylinder gaskets that resulted in lower compression. He could answer better than I.

Well AF1 says it's reading way low but if it's running fine my gauge is probably just badly off. What are the chances both gauges are crap and read the same?

They said to just check it every time I change the spark plug. Which is a bit of a problem since I had the same plug in it since I got it... so for 7000 km, lol. I could probably still run that one but it was suggested I switch to a hotter plug.

how did you drop the C.R. ? and im wondering why? unintentionally?

Normally thick head gasket to drop CR, thin gasket (or a portion of a multi-layer gasket) to increase CR. It's a pretty common practice on two-stroke sleds (and I guess bikes, but sadly I have very little experience w 2 stroke bikes). Lower CR also lets you use lower octane gas (or not have to add toluene depending on where you are starting).

I've never tried, but is their an easy way of making an adaptor to connect the gauge to an air compressor? Maybe even a rubber inflation tip would work. set the compressor at 100 psi and see what your gauge says. It should be close enough to see if it's completely broken.

Checked the tester I used against the gauge on the air supply at work. They were fairly close. The compression tester is maybe 10 PSI lower, if that. So even if I were at 100 PSI instead of 90 PSI that still isn't very good when I'm being told I should be seeing 120-140 or higher.

Back
Top Bottom