Racer5 VIP Track Day | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Racer5 VIP Track Day

Sounded like a crashy track day.

Think there was a low side in yellow when a guy ran off (managed to get it to about 20 km/h before dropping it) and two crashes in green at the same time (first crash caused second guy to crash while avoiding).

2 incidents in a track day (Saturday) is actually very good. Probably the least I have ever seen actually.

Last edited:
i think fawaz had 4 or 5 rented bikes go down, couple other guys went down too, i ended up eating crap as well. with the exception of the guy who went to the hospital the down time was quite minimal during crashes

I think 3 people went down on Sunday.

I had mentally prepared myself to make the pass on the left at 4:00... then he proceeded to wreck my plan by signalling track out at the beginning of the back straight.. confused the hell out of me I'll tell ya.

Was a GoPro camera on a Gecko suction cup mount. Multistage shift light is great.

Understand the throttle chop - one of the things I've been working on anyways.
First time on this bike at the track - need to adjust the throttle cable slack too.
Thanks for the info. Sweet bike, just needs more wheelies. Doesn't look like the bike vibrates much!

Good on keeping your head up/awareness to back off the pass when he stuck his hand up. At first it looked like he was waving you past, but when he kept holding it up and up and up then I figured he was going for pit exit.

Thanks for the info. Sweet bike, just needs more wheelies. Doesn't look like the bike vibrates much!

Good on keeping your head up/awareness to back off the pass when he stuck his hand up. At first it looked like he was waving you past, but when he kept holding it up and up and up then I figured he was going for pit exit.

Triumph has done a masterful job balancing the motor - it's absolutely smooth as glass. Almost no vibration at all.
I almost though the same thing that he was waving me past considering how far away from the pit out we were.

As for wheelies - well, I discovered that the stock steering damper is next to useless. Had some nasty head shakes several times on hard acceleration on corner exits.

My wallet is cringing already.

As for wheelies - well, I discovered that the stock steering damper is next to useless. Had some nasty head shakes several times on hard acceleration on corner exits.

My wallet is cringing already.
Yeah, a good steering damper really gives you more confidence to roll on the throttle early and hard :) I recommend the HyperPro RSC because you can leave it set super loose so you don't even know it's there, really fast side to side transitions but once it starts to even get a hint of a shake it locks down solid. You can set a wheelie down with the bars turned to the lock and it'll sort it right out without even a single left/right shake.

Insane good price: https://www.motomummy.com/hyperpro/hyperpro-06-2012-daytona-675-oem-location-rsc-active-damper/

i love my rsc, my buddy does too, and ive done just what you mentioned, i had set down a wheelie with the bars bent pretty good, she ate up all of the head shake and didnt miss a beat

Yeah, a good steering damper really gives you more confidence to roll on the throttle early and hard :) I recommend the HyperPro RSC because you can leave it set super loose so you don't even know it's there, really fast side to side transitions but once it starts to even get a hint of a shake it locks down solid. You can set a wheelie down with the bars turned to the lock and it'll sort it right out without even a single left/right shake.

Insane good price: https://www.motomummy.com/hyperpro/hyperpro-06-2012-daytona-675-oem-location-rsc-active-damper/

third to last session on sunday, running expert group, im chasing a buddy of mine that i always do track with, so we're used to riding together, we know how we ride and so i tend to try and get nice and close to him at times. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2GmhHMzAzo&feature=youtu.be

we both ran intermediate group on saturday, flat dark green gixxer number 133, and hes on a black gixxer number 892

i think fawaz had 4 or 5 rented bikes go down, couple other guys went down too, i ended up eating crap as well. with the exception of the guy who went to the hospital the down time was quite minimal during crashes

There was 4 in the green group on Sat. First one was 1 1/2 laps in on the first session, and he didn't get his bike back on the track until 4. The next guy also went down in the 2nd session and then there were the 2 in the 2nd session after lunch. Plus a few rented bikes that ran off the track.

Here's my review.

This was my first official track day (I'm not counting the last day on the 3x day course I took back in July). I registered for the Sunday event renting a 125.

I really have no complaints. The event was well organized... we had food, shelter and plenty of water. The Racer5 crew were awesome, and having the instructors (Jake, Attila and Paul) there ready to help with questions was a huge plus for someone like me who's just starting.

I'll definitely be back next year if they run the same event... hopefully with my own bike.

Not as interesting as the previous videos... but if anyone wants to check out, here's my last session on a 125.

[video=youtube;GXCCAaZUFh0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXCCAaZUFh0[/video]

Here's a question for the DDT gurus...
The chicane before the back straight - what is the correct line through there?

I found that if I kept the right turn into the chicane far to the right, carried a bit and squared it off to the left I hit the apex cone much cleaner and typically made up a bunch of distance on anyone in front of me not following that line...

Thoughts anyone?

you talking about the big u turn? i tried a few different lines through it, id try to hit the right nice and tight to the inside and then come in to the inside cone and blend out to the right entering the back straight, i fond that worked best for me. i tried to take it wide but found it put me in a weird line entering the back straight. i found that this track had the apex cones laid out quite well, follow those and youll be fine

I found that if I kept the right turn into the chicane far to the right, carried a bit and squared it off to the left I hit the apex cone much cleaner and typically made up a bunch of distance on anyone in front of me not following that line...

Thoughts anyone?

good pics man, thanks for sharing, were you the guy with the massive lens that we talked to? pitted across from us? yellow bike?

Thoughts anyone?

I've got no input on lines, having not ridden there. I imagine there aren't any gurus yet since there haven't been very many days there. Looking at everyone's videos, no offense to anyone, it looks like everyone is still learning the track. Even uchi's video, it looks like he and his friend were top of the red group and from what I can see the lines were different every lap. I guess it's to be expected that a development track would be fairly technical :) I might have to check it out next season.

We tried different lines through different areas, some worked and some didn't, some pushed out real wide and you'd scrub off speed. Even that weird left hander in the infield after the right hander from the first bowl, we learned that corner you need to enter slow otherwise you just blow wide and botch the next corner. It's a great track for sure and I for one loved how technical it was. I'll be back there again for sure

Thoughts anyone?
I have only done that track once so I am no guru but a slow late apex is what I found it worked better (I tried all kinds of lines through there), you can then accelerate hard out of it and gain time with speed on the small "straight"

I think track day riders like to "not like" that track as I have heard many negative comments, but i for one really liked it and i was on my liter bike. It is technical, has elevation and it has nice sweeping corners (if you are up in speed) and some really tight technical stuff.

It sucks until you learn the the proper lines - Better get your cardio up, there isn't a single spot to rest or take a break.

That track is perfect for an easy going day or if you want to shake up your bike after a dyno tune etc, or get the webs off after a long winter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom