RACE Round 4 - Sept 4,5,6 | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

RACE Round 4 - Sept 4,5,6

I missed that crash, sorry to hear Mina. Heal up soon, I hope.

I've heard from Mike Hood, he's going to be sore for a while with a fractured ankle (that he was walking on) but he seems to be in good spirits.

We had a mixed weekend.

The youngest on his 250 managed to break the old lap record by almost a full 1 second but he did push Eric to go one better on the last lap to beat his new lap record. 1 19s on Pro Track on a 250 is pretty fast.

The older kid was doing well on his new SV650 until we lost the clutch and gearbox. He struggled to go back to his old SV650. He did enjoy his chance to join in on the 300 Prod and Lightweight Prod classes on the spare 250 before we ran him off to university on Sun.

The old man won the OBC on Sat and was leading the Sun final until he missed his brake marker off Fabi on the last lap and missed getting the checkered in the Final. But he did manage a new lap record for OBC.

Mina, please heal up and come back. Don't let your bad experience sour you on this.

Last edited:
I haven't had an issue before. I just can't come up with a different answer, the bike wouldn't stick and I was below pace. I dunno.

You suspension could have been softer. The excessive heat could have caused the fluids to perform differently than you were used to and set up for.

New tires will always perform better than old ones.

Rider fatigue could have done it as well. Heat,dehydration, visual strain from the sun who knows.
IMHO tires is the last part to look at if they were new. Unless your warmers did not perform correctly.

The tires were good and hot, that wasn't it for sure. I can't say, the forks seemed overly stiff on that bike and I spent time making sure they weren't binding, walking the adjusters all the way in and back out to spec, possible that there is something going on there. Like I said, I didn't do anything different and wasn't at my usual pace, was cursing myself for not taking the corner quicker just before the bike let go. Fatigue does funny things to your perception though.

Wait did I miss something? Mina said he won't be back?

Mina you can't let the horse beat you, get back on that ***** and show it who's boss! It will submit!

The tires were good and hot, that wasn't it for sure. I can't say, the forks seemed overly stiff on that bike and I spent time making sure they weren't binding, walking the adjusters all the way in and back out to spec, possible that there is something going on there. Like I said, I didn't do anything different and wasn't at my usual pace, was cursing myself for not taking the corner quicker just before the bike let go. Fatigue does funny things to your perception though.

Is it possible you were using a different compound or forgot to set pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I set pressure with the tires hot on the warmers. I even set them a pound lower than I wanted just on the hunch that they'd grow a pound or two in the race. SC1 front, SC2 rear, 34# and 24# respectively at around 80C on the warmers. They were on about 45 minutes, there is a chance that the wheel wasn't as warm as I thought and they grew more than 2 pounds, but I doubt that. I had a little time in practice, I could have scrubbed them in but they would have been cold when I went out.

C'est la vie I guess I may never know what exactly I did or what exactly happened. The front tire is going to be turfed because it's got a big divot out of the edge where it slid. :/ John Taverner and I are going to go over the forks and check the chassis measurements later this week. Also, we're going to try and get the 1000 to where I can turn the thing... anyone that watched the race, it should have been obvious that the bike was turning like a barge.

Last edited:
John Taverner and I are going to go over the forks and check the chassis measurements later this week. Also, we're going to try and get the 1000 to where I can turn the thing...
It all makes sense now

I set pressure with the tires hot on the warmers. I even set them a pound lower than I wanted just on the hunch that they'd grow a pound or two in the race. SC1 front, SC2 rear, 34# and 24# respectively at around 80C on the warmers. They were on about 45 minutes, there is a chance that the wheel wasn't as warm as I thought and they grew more than 2 pounds, but I doubt that. I had a little time in practice, I could have scrubbed them in but they would have been cold when I went out.

C'est la vie I guess I may never know what exactly I did or what exactly happened. The front tire is going to be turfed because it's got a big divot out of the edge where it slid. :/ John Taverner and I are going to go over the forks and check the chassis measurements later this week.

It's possible (but unlikely) that you got a bad tire. It's rare but it does happen. Assuming you didn't receive a bad tire you should have been able to scrub them in on the warm up lap. I've always felt brand new tires squirm just a little bit for the first few corners on a warm up lap but after that they are 100% good-to-go. I don't think scrubbing them in was your problem.

It's also possible that you have a mechanical problem. Maybe something in the forks came apart, maybe something broke and is sticking.

It's possible there was something on the track. A bit of moisture, oil, water, pebbles, etc.

It's possible that you simply made a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't disagree with any of that. Incidentally and I'm well-aware that it probably means nothing, but Elie went off right in the same place later on in the day. Until I find something concrete (which who knows, maybe I will when I look over the bike more carefully tonight), all I can do is come up with "what-ifs." I really don't feel like it's something I did differently, but we all know bikes don't ride themselves, hahaha

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you start with a lower pressure you'll end up with a higher hot off the track pressure because the tires being worked harder.

Did you take a hot off the track reading to compare? Maybe you ended up with an overinflated tire and it got greasy, it was stinking hot all day and the track temps were high with it being so sunny and hot.

Temps and pressures were all over the place in the morning as the day warmed up. I went with what I saw earlier in the day, pressures about 1# higher rear and 2# higher in the front compared to off the warmers, so I gave them some margin since recommendations are 24-26# rear, 32-36# front. I was aiming for 25#R/35# front. The crash happened in the first lap of the first race of the afternoon... by then it was definitely hotter and the cloud cover had gone away, but I still should have had enough margin. I didn't check the pressures right after coming in, I had other things on my mind right at that point (pity). It's moot since I don't know where the fault lies at this point, maybe going over the bike will show something. I was in the very low 1:10s on it, and felt like I could do better. Next time, maybe.

Temps and pressures were all over the place in the morning as the day warmed up. I went with what I saw earlier in the day, pressures about 1# higher rear and 2# higher in the front compared to off the warmers, so I gave them some margin since recommendations are 24-26# rear, 32-36# front. I was aiming for 25#R/35# front. The crash happened in the first lap of the first race of the afternoon... by then it was definitely hotter and the cloud cover had gone away, but I still should have had enough margin. I didn't check the pressures right after coming in, I had other things on my mind right at that point (pity). It's moot since I don't know where the fault lies at this point, maybe going over the bike will show something. I was in the very low 1:10s on it, and felt like I could do better. Next time, maybe.

Oh ya forgot it was the first lap, maybe your tire wasn't up to full temp before you tried pushing it a bit too much.

Got T boned at the end of the back straight. Fractured my greater tubercle, mild concussion and a messed up bike. Not a great weekend for me.

**** - sorry to hear Mina - if you need anything just holler.

I missed this when it happened. Will make a good story for lots of people.

GPsFDVc.jpg

Back
Top Bottom