Race license? SOAR, RACE? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Race license? SOAR, RACE?

DownUnder

Ok trying to find info on this with very little success. Id like to get into racing next year and am after info on getting a race license. From what I understand there are 2 series in Ontario, 1 run by SOAR and 1 by RACE. What is the process of actually obtaining a license and will it be good for both or do you need a license for each organization? Are you allowed to compete in both? Also are there ever times where both are on the same weekend at different tracks making you choose which to go to?

What are peoples experiences with each organization, is there one thats run and organized a little better then the other (no flaming and bagging an organization, just personal experiences please)?

Cheers

Not going to comment on series for obvious reasons.
You will need a license for whatever org you run, not just RACE or SOAR. You need a school first most schools and series have recipricol agreements. If you have a school such as Fast Level 2 or better then your good to go.
We try to work together to assure that series schedules dont conflict. However RACE has never shared their schedule before it was released so this may change next year.
I will leave the series slagging to other racers. Welcome to the insanity,

Cool, thanks for the info. So Phase 2 of Fast will qualify a person for a license? Are there any other schools that are available? I did phase 1 at the start of the month and really enjoyed it so will most likely do 2 and 3 next year but wondering if there are any other schools in Ontario? Also out of curiosity, how much is the license and do you renew it each year or couple years?

DownUnder, just a quickie FYI ... SOAR has two weekends remaining, one of them being this coming weekend (29-30 Sept). Both are at Grand Bend. You would do well to come out to the track as a spectator and see how it goes, and talk to people involved. I'll be there with my olde Yamaha FZR400 (#64 black numbers). RACE has already done their last round for this year, this past weekend.

I've done RACE and SOAR rounds this year (but not all of both series ... that would be too much). They run completely separately from each other. Two separate licenses, one for each. If you're unlucky, it might even be two different number plates ... I'm the same number in both series.

I don't want to get into slagging one over the other. Both know how to run a race weekend. Neither are perfect. A little bit of research might reveal evidence of the number of entries in each series over the last few years, and a little bit of analysis might reveal the trajectory over time for each.

Unless something major changes over the winter, I'm only planning to do one series next year. Do the math to figure out which one.

You posted while I was thinking about how to politically correctly word my previous response. SOAR has their own licensing school that runs before each of their events, and RACE has one that runs at the beginning of the season. If you do the Racer5 advanced school, that will get you a SOAR license www.racer5.ca - obviously the info on that website is for this past year, it's too early to predict what will happen next year but at this point one would think that it will be similar. These race license schools each cost a couple hundred bucks but you only need to do it once. Renewing each organization's license is another hundred bucks a year or thereabouts. Both RACE and SOAR have typically thrown in a free practice day if you do that renewal during the bike shows over the winter, and the cost of that license renewal is less than that of a normal track day (but then, those practice days are usually in April or early May, and can be darn cold and windy ...)

SOAR does a school on the Friday before every round. Fast Level 2, Turn 2 Level 2, Racer 5 licensing level, many US schools just confirm.
We always offer a free Friday practice day if license renewed before end of the January bike show. Our free day can be used at any weekend you wish.

A little bit of research might reveal evidence of the number of entries in each series over the last few years, and a little bit of analysis might reveal the trajectory over time for each.

Unless something major changes over the winter, I'm only planning to do one series next year. Do the math to figure out which one.

Love it.

If already have a RACE liscence do I need to do the fast course to get a SOAR liscence?

If already have a RACE liscence do I need to do the fast course to get a SOAR liscence?

No. Your RACE license qualifies you for a SOAR license.

DownUnder, just a quickie FYI ... SOAR has two weekends remaining, one of them being this coming weekend (29-30 Sept). Both are at Grand Bend. You would do well to come out to the track as a spectator and see how it goes, and talk to people involved. I'll be there with my olde Yamaha FZR400 (#64 black numbers). RACE has already done their last round for this year, this past weekend.

I've done RACE and SOAR rounds this year (but not all of both series ... that would be too much). They run completely separately from each other. Two separate licenses, one for each. If you're unlucky, it might even be two different number plates ... I'm the same number in both series.

I don't want to get into slagging one over the other. Both know how to run a race weekend. Neither are perfect. A little bit of research might reveal evidence of the number of entries in each series over the last few years, and a little bit of analysis might reveal the trajectory over time for each.

What is the cost to be a spectator? I'm interested to race next year and wouldn't mind coming out one day to see how it all works.

I thought I miss shifted off the back straight and went from 5th to 2nd. So far it looks like a crank bearing, haven't gone too deep yet.

I'll bring a coffee every day next week lol.

Two open spots on the "Two and a Half Men" endurance team this weekend. Any takers? The CRPL-R1000 is ready to rock!

95% sure I'm in to ride the CRPL-R1000, I'll stop by tonight to work out the details.

One difference not mentioned so far is that RACE use the AMB transponders for scoring. Figure on spending $400 to purchase your transponder for RACE. SOAR use a different system with 'no cost to the racer' RFID tags. Also your location makes a big difference. If you live west of Toronto the travel to Shannonville for RACE events is just plain ugly. If you are east of the GTA, Shannonville and RACE makes most sense. parillaguy

You can find used transponders for $300ish or rent one from the track.

^ either way, it's an added cost and hassle (the transponder needs to be charged and it's another thing to remember to do and to bring to the track - or you can hard-wire it to your bike's electrical system).

The Zoomius system that SOAR has been using, has had its share of software glitches, but as I understand it, SOAR is developing their own software - hopefully still using the same RFID tag, no cost to the racer and no recharging or wiring headaches needed.

I already have two other transponders from previous racing organizations that used other systems which became obsolete and are now expensive paperweights. I'd be quite content if the AMB transponder joined those in the expensive-paperweight box.

Back
Top Bottom