Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding... | Page 42 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding...

Love that short cut - you guys are so good at picking the bikes up I'm surprised you even worried :D
- tho I was mighty impressed with that mud run last short cut and you guys have only mild dual sport on.!!!

Glad it worked out...no trucks a huge bonus and the wow scenery.

Cities suck - especially unknown noisy ones....
Not looking forward to getting back to known noisy one next week from relatively quiet Cairns.
Stay safe....have fun...either order.

Gene & Neda - my offer of my cottage as a "chill out / plan next steps / rest up spot" when/if you come back to ON will always be valid but on some level I hope you never cash in on that. Keep on going - love seeing these updates.

The green light honking game is played in Greece too, except they don't wait til it turns they honk while it's still red to make sure you go when it turns green.

At first it was kind of funny. Like, why would you honk, it *JUST* turned green and my clutch is already half way out... Then after awhile, it got a bit annoying. And then after more time spent in Colombia, it got funny again. :)

I was mighty impressed with that mud run last short cut and you guys have only mild dual sport on.!!!

Times like those, I look at the guys that run the TKCs with envy. But I know they'll be wearing down the rubber back on the asphalt as if they were dragging an eraser behind their bikes...

Gene & Neda - my offer of my cottage as a "chill out / plan next steps / rest up spot" when/if you come back to ON will always be valid

Thank you so much, that's very generous!

Times like those, I look at the guys that run the TKCs with envy. But I know they'll be wearing down the rubber back on the asphalt as if they were dragging an eraser behind their bikes...

It's a trade off on the KLR even here...mud and sand performance versus tire wear and I'm not doing much distance at all and the KLR is a light weight compared to your mobile homes on two wheels.

Do you know what your bikes weigh loaded? Just curious.

Do you know what your bikes weigh loaded? Just curious.

They had to weigh our bikes when we shipped them by air to Europe. We had to crate them with the gas tank empty, and my R12GS tipped the scales at 566lbs. So add 20L of fuel, it was probably close to 600lbs back then.

I'm easily carrying at least 40lbs more on this trip, with all the extra clothes, camping gear, spares and tools, etc., so I think I'm pushing close to 650lbs?

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/149.html

map149-L.jpg

We fall into the typical pattern of waking up early and doing all our sightseeing and activities before the afternoon rains arrive. We find ourselves staring at the calendar impatiently. There's got to be an end to this eternal rainy season.

DSC_5015-L.jpg

Iglesia San Francisco (Chruch of Saint Francisco)

DSCN1451-L.jpg

We decide to tour on two wheels of a different kind!

Neda found out that our hostel rents out bicycles! So we leave our motorcycles parked for a few days and explore the city via pedal power! Although I'm not one to needlessly expend calories (they are a precious commodity!), I think this exercise really helped burn off the excess energy that Neda had.

DSC_4946-L.jpg

Sometimes certain things remind me of home...

I spent a while studying the details of the toy bike. Other than our friends and family, I don't miss many things from back home, but my old sportbike is high on the list. When we find a place to settle down, Neda wants a dog. I want a Ducati 999R Xerox Edition.

DSC_5018-XL.jpg

Indigenous woman selling fruits outside a restaurant

I find the features of the indigenous people so fascinating. It's like a living history lesson of the migration of human beings from Africa. This woman retains many of the same Mongoloid features from when her ancestors left Asia to cross the Bering Straight and down through the Americas.

DSC_5024-L.jpg

"Como se Llama?"

DSCN1468-L.jpg

Bicycle hooligans outside of church

DSC_5029-L.jpg

Popayan is one of Colombia's most preserved colonial cities

Much of the town was rebuilt after a huge earthquake in 1983, which really brought home the point that not many buildings and edifices can stand the test of time and Mother Nature, and that given enough time, all the original cobblestones, bricks and other materials will have been replaced such that almost nothing of the original still stands. In fact, all these buildings were painted white only after the earthquake - they weren't even that colour 30 years ago!

DSC_5033-L.jpg

Beautiful colonial architecture. But what did it look like 500 years ago?

DSCN1471-L.jpg

Park break outside our hostel

The next day, Neda finds more interesting stuff to do on two-wheels. For a small fee, a truck can haul our bicycles up the mountain to the next town over. Purace is well known for it's natural hot springs and pools. After a soak, hop on your bicycles and enjoy the 30km ride back to Popayan, which is almost all downhill. "Downhill?", I repeat? "SOLD!"

The early morning truck ride takes us up through the twisty mountain roads outside of Popayan. I stare out the window, imagining rushing downhill on the bikes , which were tucked away in the back of the truck. Then a few times, the truck dipped as it drove downhill in sections. My mental abacus was clicking away overtime: "We're driving downhill now, so on the way back, I'm going to have to pedal... UPHILL?!? WHAT THE....?!?!

Every kilometer the truck descended, my sense of dread increased. I was counting off the potential uphill mileage... :(

DSCN1515-L.jpg

Outside the town of Coconuco near the hot springs

The truck let us off just outside the hot springs and we parked our bikes, breathed in the rotten-egg smell of sulfur and jumped in the very hot pools, tinged light green from all the minerals in the water. No sooner had we gotten in, the sky opened up and poured cold rain on us. It wasn't even noon yet! Stick to a schedule, Mother Nature!

DSCN1487-L.jpg

Agua Hirviendes Hot Springs in the pouring rain!

DSCN1489-L.jpg

Locals are unfazed by the downpour. I don't think I'll ever get used a place where it rains everyday for 6 months straight!

Well, we had nowhere else to be, so we might as well stay in the water. Thankfully, the rains didn't last too long. In the meantime, we (I think me) were quite a curiosity. People would glance over surreptitiously as I waded by in the pools. There was a group of girls that followed us as we went from pool to pool trying to find a comfortable temperature. Neda decided to break the ice and approached them, and then there were a million questions: "Where are you from?". "Where are you going?", "How long are you traveling?"...

It's tough being a celebrity.

DSCN1498-L.jpg

These girls were very curious about us

They were selling bottles of this yellow sulfury goop at poolside. They advertised that it was good for all sorts of skin ailments like acne. It smelled pretty vile, so we just took pictures.

DSCN1493-L.jpg

This pool was a more comfortable temperature

We waited for the rains to clear. Remarkably, the sun came out as well too, which signaled a good time for us to leave. Back on the bikes! We've done this so many times on motorcycles, it felt weird throwing a leg over a bicycle.

DSCN1518-L.jpg

Dual sporting away from the hot springs

I can imagine traveling on a bicycle, watching the scenery move past you at such a languorous pace. Your heart pumping, muscles working hard, the only fuel you burn is whatever you last ate, and time dilates in such a way that the horizon only looks attainable at the end of the day.

I don't like it.

DSCN1550-L.jpg

Taking one of many breathers on the "mostly downhill" ride back

DSCN1544-XL.jpg

Stopping to admire the waterfall? No. Out of breath. Have to stop.

As expected, the downhill sections were exhilarating! Like a chicken, I had to apply the brakes often to stop from achieving terminal velocity - emphasis on Terminal... However, the uphill sections were grueling. I must not be doing this bicycling thing right, because even in the highest gear - the one where despite pedaling like a maniac, you can still only measure your uphill progress in centimeters per hour - I found it was much easier just getting off the bike and walking it uphill.

DSCN1561-L.jpg

Neda waits for me at the top of each hill and then we speed downhill together again

Along the way, we pass a small village and some women eating some yummy looking popsicles. We asked where they got them and they pointed further on down the road. When we got to where they indicated, we looked around for some kind of convenience store but didn't find anything. And then this little old lady popped out of a nearby house:

DSCN1562-L.jpg

5 cents each!

[video=youtube;Uq0Kl59Wi3c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq0Kl59Wi3c[/video]
Two-wheeling around Popayan!

I like that your goal when/if you come back is to get a 999R, and not just the pesky S. Dream big, sir. Just don't stay gone too long, by the time you come back you're gonna need about $30k for one!

Last edited:
I like that your goal when/if you come back is to get a 999R, and not just the pesky S. Dream big, sir. Just don't stay gone too long, by the time you come back you're gonna need about $30k for one!

Ha! The much reviled 999/749. The previous generation 998/749 held their values much better. But I love them so the prices will be good for me.

A good 999R Xerox goes for about $15K today, stateside. I expect those values to drop slightly when I go shopping! :)

Really? I think the values are gonna rebound, personally. The R is a special bike.

Really? I think the values are gonna rebound, personally. The R is a special bike.

The Rs are not a candidate for a collectible bike. Not when they make over 1500 a year. Even Sedicis are going for a lot less than sticker. I think something like the MH900e - low production numbers. Those would retain their price or rise slightly over time.

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/150.html

map150-L.jpg

We're headed south to the border town of Ipiales. Yes, this means we are finally leaving Colombia! I can't believe we've spent over 5 months in this country! Such a beautiful part of the world, despite the bad reputation it has in the media.

DSCN1611-L.jpg

Green velour-covered mountains on the way south

Our route for the day is straight down the Pan American Highway as it winds through the Atriz Valley of the Andes highlands. It'll take us the entire day to travel the 350kms from Popayan, but it's a smooth and flowing ride interrupted only by a couple of construction sites and the city of Pasto.

DSC_5041-L.jpg

Stopping to peer down into the Atriz Valley - very picturesque!

DSCN1606-L.jpg

Sometimes it's easier to go through the mountain than around it

DSCN1608-L.jpg

Camera's flash illuminates all the tiny particle of dust in the tunnel

DSCN1625-L.jpg

My selfie got photobombed while stopped at a traffic light in Pasto

DSCN1631-L.jpg

Riding into Ipiales

We're hitting the wall a little bit with travel fatigue. Although it's exciting to be entering a new country, I think we need to put our kickstands down for a couple of weeks or more, so we're going to be on the lookout for a nice place to do so. Hopefully somewhere where there's no rain...

It's still raining everyday here BTW. I'm debating not mentioning it on the blog anymore. I'll just tell you when it doesn't rain... :(

DSC_5048-L.jpg

Damn birds. I'm trying to take a picture here!

DSC_5043-L.jpg

"Need a light, Neda?" *kikiki*

We were looking for a bit more variety than the tipico (local) food, and there was an okay-looking Chinese restaurant across the street from our hotel, so we drop in for some spring rolls and fried rice.

We had time to reflect on our journey through Colombia: beautiful and diverse scenery, amazing people that we've met, frustrating traffic in the big cities and strange customs. They play this funny game in Latin America, it goes like this: whenever you see an Asian person, the first one to yell out, "Chino!" wins. I don't think it's derogatory or anything, they always exclaim it like they're surprised. Heck, outside of the Chinese restaurant above, the only other Asian I've seen in Colombia is the one staring back at me in the mirror! I'd be surprised too.

The strange thing is that I don't even think they are trying to get my attention, because this will happen even when I'm riding my motorcycle, and from almost-out-of-earshot-range behind me, I'll hear: "chino", so it must be a game they are playing amongst themselves.

I think the game is called, "Punchbuggy Chino". First to see one and call it out must get to punch the other Latin American in the shoulder or something... In the Chinese restaurant I saw the owner and turned to Neda and exclaimed, "Chino!" She shushed me, and punched me in the shoulder. That's *NOT* how you play it, Neda!!!

DSC_5099-XL.jpg

Las Lajas Sanctuary

After a couple of days, we venture just outside of town to see the famous Santuario de Las Lajas, a basilica church built on the steep slopes falling away into the Guaitara River. The original church was built in the 18th century, but this current incarnation only finished construction fairly recently, in 1949. It's quite impressive seeing it jut out from the side of the canyon.

DSC_5079-L.jpg

Outside the church were hundreds of these plaques set against the canyon wall

DSC_5073-L.jpg

Most of the plaques give thanks to the Virgin Mary

DSC_5100-L.jpg

The scale of the church was massive

DSC_5118-L.jpg

Inside, I felt like we were in a video game

When I was a kid, I used to play a video game called Quake (and Doom and Castle Wolfenstein), I could swear they modeled the maps after this church, especially the lighting.

DSC_5116-L.jpg

I can tell from the look on her face, Neda knows where the rocket launcher is

DSC_5132-L.jpg

Strafe Left! Strafe Right!
Neda: "What on earth are you doing? And why are you holding that camera like it's a gun?"

DSC_5127-XL.jpg

So gothic-looking, yet it was probably only built in the last century.

DSC_5136-L.jpg

Game paused. People praying.

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/151.html

map151-L.jpg

We're entering a new country today! It's been over 5 months since we've done a border crossing and I'm a bit rusty on the procedure that we had developed and streamlined in Central America. Ah yes, I stay with the bikes while Neda cancels the Temporary Vehicle Import Permit. That was relatively painless - just hand in the form and leave. Wow, what a difference from the triple-photocopy-stamp-everything-wait-forever dance in Central America!

DSCN1641-L.jpg

Oh yeah, I have to show my face to get stamped out of Colombia

DSCN1648-L.jpg

New country! So excited!

We've done no research about Ecuador. We don't know anything about it, so we really don't know what to expect. As we get our import papers to enter the country, a group of young Ecuadorians ask to take our picture with the bikes. Now *this* is familiar. They are very interested in our journey, so I read from the mental cheat sheet as they ask, "Where are you from?", "Where are you going?", "How long is your trip", "How much do they bikes cost? How fast do they go?" etc.

DSCN1652-L.jpg

Paparazzi stop at the border

We stop by the SOAT booth to buy our insurance for the month, but there is a power failure and the computer is down. We've got a bit of a ride ahead of us and it's a bit late in the day, so Neda wanted to find another SOAT place further on down the road. I was a bit hesitant about riding without insurance, but I also didn't want to ride in the dark, so we pressed on, careful to stay under the speed limit so we wouldn't get stopped by the police. We're told that speed enforcement is very strict in Ecuador.

DSCN1666-L.jpg

Nice roads

The first thing that struck me while riding in this country was how nice the roads were. At our hostel in Cali, we met some Ecuadorian tourists and they told us that the government had spent a whole lot of money recently on upgrading the pavement all over the country, so we knew beforehand, but riding on the smooth twisting asphalt around the Andes was such a noticeable change coming from Colombia.

DSCN1682-L.jpg

But then the honeymoon ended. No more free Peaje! Government has to pay for all these new roads.

We're not used to paying for tolls, so Neda is fumbling around for change. 20 cents per motorcycle! Time to load up the tankbag with loose change. We no longer gleefully yell, "Pee-Ah-HAY!" when we approach the tolls now. :(

As we entered Tulcan, the first town just a few kms south of the border, we stopped by a store that advertised insurance. Unfortunately, they didn't sell "extranjero" (foreign) insurance. They told us that we wouldn't be able to get the kind of insurance we needed anywhere in town, but we would probably be able to buy the coverage for our imported vehicles in the next major city of Ibarra. It was a long way to go without proper papers, and I was a bit nervous.

DSCN1688-L.jpg

Neda is missing vegetables in our Latin American diet

There were a couple of police checkpoints on the road headed south. Everytime we approached one, we nervously slowed down but thankfully, we got waved through as they were only checking cars and trucks instead. About half-way to Ibarra, my fears were realized. The policeman working the checkpoint looked at my face through my visor and decided to pull us over. Oh no. Nononono. What kind of trouble are we going to get into without proper insurance? Fines? Impoundment? Would we have to bribe him?

Neda is the designated Spanish-speaker, so as I pulled over, Neda stopped beside the cop to figure out what the problem was.

The cop didn't even look at her. His gaze went past her, and his eyebrows furrowed as he stared directly at me. Had I gone too fast? Broken some kind of traffic law that I didn't know about?

Then he indicated to me and asked Neda, "Chino? Japones? Coreano?"

HAHAHAHA!!! I've never been so happy to play Punchbuggy Chino in my life! At that moment, I knew we were okay, so Neda explained that I was Malaysian, and the policeman was very impressed with that since he'd never met a Malaysian person before. We chatted for a while about our trip and our motorcycles (he was a rider too) and then he let us go on our way.

We're developing quite the arsenal of tactics to avoid tickets in Latin America: "Throw Gene under the bus" and "Punchbuggy Chino". Awesome!

DSC_5166-L.jpg

The view from our hostel in Otavalo

We rode through Ibarra but by the time we arrived, all the stores were closed, so we would have to come back the next day to shop for insurance. Ecuador has really impressed me with how modern and clean everything is, very different from Central America and Colombia.

Instead of staying in Ibarra, we found a hostel in Otavalo, a pretty town which is about 15 minutes away from the city. We opted to make our base here for the next few days because we've heard that there is a huge indigenous population here and we wanted to stay till the weekend because of the huge famous outdoor market that they set up every Saturday morning.

DSC_5183-XL.jpg

Walking around town, we saw this woman in a traditional dress

My favorite part of our trip so far is seeing the local culture that's been preserved as a snapshot of history. The last time I saw this many indigenous people was back in Guatemala and my head (and camera) was snapping back and forth trying to take it all in.

DSC_5180-L.jpg

Early morning in the historic centre of Otavalo

DSC_5205-XL.jpg

No, no, do what you did before!

I was taking a picture of this mural above because I thought it looked cool. As I was focusing, in the viewfinder I saw this guy walk past me and photobomb my shot, grinning mischievously and putting up the rabbit ears with both hands. Unfortunately, I was too slow with the shutter. As he walked away, I called out to him. He turned around expecting me to be mad at him, but instead, was surprised when I asked him to pose in front of the mural. Alas, he got camera shy and gave me this serious-smile instead. I wanted to see the grin and the rabbit ears again - it would have went perfect with the mural's stare! LOL!

DSC_5174-L.jpg

Vendors setting up their stall

We had read that the best time to see the Otavalo Market was early in the morning when the vendors were setting up. That was terrible advice. Not only was it boring watching people put up stands and tents, but I missed two hours of sleep. We walked around town for an hour or two looking for a good breakfast spot.

DSC_5204-XL.jpg

This guy had many towels on him. Still wondering what they're for?

DSC_1094-L.jpg

LOL! I didn't even notice this little girl giving me the evil eye until I went through my pictures later!

DSC_5209-L.jpg

We found a stall that served breakfast right in the middle of the market, Neda has her usual caldo (soup)

DSC_5230-L.jpg

As we ate breakfast, we watched as the hustle and bustle in the market picked up

DSC_5248-L.jpg

Just a reminder of where we are

DSC_5242-L.jpg

This little piggy wore a hat. Keeps him warm on those chilly Otovalo mornings

DSC_5273-L.jpg

Walking back from a morning filled with shopping

DSC_5290-L.jpg

In a field on the outskirts of town was the Otavalo Animal Market

DSC_5303-L.jpg

All sorts of livestock were for sale. You could pick up a pig (and then find them a hat in town later on)

DSC_1089-L.jpg

If only I had more room in my topcase, ole Foghorn here would have made many a tasty lunch on the ride south!

DSC_5312-XL.jpg

I had to hide Neda's wallet, she was this close to emptying her tankbag
full of loose change and seashells to fit this little guy in!

DSC_5331-L.jpg

Somebody needs a haircut. Me. I'm talking about me.

Otovalo was a really picturesque town, and it made a really good first impression of Ecuador on us. The country seems to be very prosperous and safe. I had a read that this was one of the top recommended places in Latin America for ex-pats looking for a new home, and now seeing it first hand, I can understand why.

DSC_5374-L.jpg

At night, everything is lit up with pretty coloured lights

DSC_5377-L.jpg

Two kids in the fountain, too fast for my shutter-speed to catch

DSC_1107-L.jpg

We're loving Ecuador so far!

Cool - would not have guessed that.

Great pics and narrative as usual.

Are you going down to the bottom and is the a route back up a different way or is this all the PanAm highway in theory?

They look like ghosts in the fountain..neat shot.

DSC_5377-L.jpg

Are you going down to the bottom and is the a route back up a different way or is this all the PanAm highway in theory?

We are headed south generally, and the main road on the west coast through the Andes is the PanAm, but we've been weaving in and out of it, spending time on the coast and then back into the interior, so we're using it as a guideline, but getting off of it whenever something looks interesting.

Not sure how we're getting back up, or if we are, that's too far in the future! :)

Awesome update!

Your "Chino" comments had me lol at my desk! Nearly choked on my lunch. :)
thanks for cheering me up.. was a bad start to the day today.

Who did the policeman punch when playing punch buggy?

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Back
Top Bottom