Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding... | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding...

I'm so envious! And subscribed.

VINCENT: So if you're quitting the life, what'll you do?
JULES: That's what I've been sitting here contemplating. First, I'm gonna deliver this case to Marsellus. Then, basically, I'm gonna walk the earth.
VINCENT: What do you mean, walk the earth?
JULES: You know, like Caine in "KUNG FU." Just walk from town to town, meet people, get in adventures.
VINCENT: How long do you intend to walk the earth?
JULES: Until God puts me where he wants me to be.
VINCENT: What if he never does?
JULES: If it takes forever, I'll wait forever.
VINCENT: So you decided to be a bum?
JULES: I'll just be Jules, Vincent -- no more, no less.
VINCENT: No Jules, you're gonna be like those pieces of **** out there who beg for change. They walk around like a bunch of ******* zombies, they sleep in garbage bins, they eat what I throw away, and dogs piss on 'em. They got a word for 'em, they're called bums. And without a job, residence, or legal tender, that's what you're gonna be -- a ******* bum!

This post reminded me of that portion of the movie.

Good luck to you both, it'll be interesting to see what happens when the journey runs into the challenges of everyday life i.e. lack of money, wanting to rejoin the workforce (if ever), etc.

There are other ways to become a bum... like... not shaving...

map3-L.jpg

IMG0247-L.jpg

Neda's take on a PB&J sandwich in Forrilon National Park, in Gaspe

stlouis-L.jpg

Found a great campsite in St-Louis-de-Kent, NB!

These two pictures above typify our experience so far - camping and eating groceries. We're trying to stretch our travel dollar, since technically we're both unemployed and homeless! :)

We dawdled quite a bit on the Gaspe peninsula, so trying to budget time as well, we decided to boot it across New Brunswick and Nova Scotia - all the while feeling continually rushed to see as much of the Maritimes as possible before we had to make it back to Toronto by the end of the month to close our condo and sell the remaining vehicles before our next leg. Having to shop for groceries everyday and find a campsite before nightfall didn't help matters any!

So.. not a lot of pictures from this segment...

mcrobster-XL.jpg

Our first taste of seafood in the Maritimes!

As we passed Antigonish, NS, we saw a sign for McLobster. It was more like McRobster - didn't taste very good and robbed us of $6.89! We met Sean at the McDonald's, who happened to be the city planner for Antigonish, and he urged us to ride around town, so we did. Nice town, shame about their McDonald's...

We did keep in contact with Sean a few times over e-mail as he had invited us to his cottage in Halifax, but the timing was off and we never did meet up.

ferrykindle-XL.jpg

Neda catches up on some light reading while waiting for the ferry

The ferry to Newfoundland departs from North Sydney, which is on the eastern coast of Nova Scotia. We arrived early and took our place in line with a lot of other Newfoundlanders waiting to go home. I had a long discussion with Robert, a francophone from St-Pierre-et-Miqeulon, a little island off the south coast of Newfoundland that is actually a part of France! He had a Goldwing and we were both talking in broken Franglais about motorcycles and riding. How I wished I learned more French in high school, he was a really great guy!

DSCN9432-XL.jpg

Waiting to board the ferry for Newfoundland

DSCN9433-L.jpg

Our bikes get to travel across the Gulf of St Lawrence in the underbelly of the ferry, comforted by the weight of dozens of 18-wheelers above our heads.

While we were waiting in line, some locals told us that the winds on the coast of Newfoundland got so high, they blew 18-wheelers off the road. We tied our bikes down real good after hearing that, but it was pretty smooth sailing all the way to The Rock.

DSCN9436-L.jpg

In the hold of the ferry

It's a 6.5 hour overnight trip from North Sydney, Nova Scotia to the west coast of Newfoundland at Port-Aux-Basques. There were a lot of people on the ferry on their way to St John's on the east coast, but because it's so costly to ferry all the way there, most people choose just to drive across the island instead.

ferryasleep-XL.jpg

Trying to get comfortable on the ferry

Being unemployed and homeless, we opted for the cheap seats on the ferry instead of a cabin. We weren't allowed to lie down on the floor or across several seats and if the crew found you, they would kick at you until you woke up... :(

Good luck to you both, it'll be interesting to see what happens when the journey runs into the challenges of everyday life i.e. lack of money, wanting to rejoin the workforce (if ever), etc.

I don't think that a lack of funds will be an issue for Gene and Neda, now or in the future... :rolleyes:

What a great adventure. You are both lucky to be able to share/enjoy this together. I am subscribing to this thread and hope one day to have the rocking chair next to you to hear all the stories..

I was riding with a group of friends when we met at Flynn's turn last summer and you gave us some tips for riding the 507. We knew you guys were enthusiasts but this is crazy amazingness...well done!!

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/5.html

map4-L.jpg

IMG0254-L.jpg

Pulling into Port-Aux-Basques

The ferry pulled into Port-Aux-Basques, on the west coast of Newfoundland at 6 in the morning. We stopped into the visitor centre outside of town and waited a little while so we wouldn't have to share road with the hundred other vehicles also exiting the ferry. Also had to change the time on the clocks on the bike. Did you know NL has its own time zone and just to be different, it's a half hour ahead of Atlantic Time! Despite our little stopover and losing 30 minutes, the seaside community was still fast asleep as we left in the rain and fog, to ride north up the main highway.

DSC0144-L.jpg

Riding the west coast of Newfoundland

They call these the Table Top Mountains, a leveling off of the terrain that gives rise to a natural wind-tunnel effect, the same winds that blow 18-wheelers and trains off their tracks.

DSCN9443-L.jpg

Bearded dragon stops to say hi to us in Corner Brook

Corner Brook is the first large town about 2.5 hours north of Port-Aux-Basque, and are they ever friendly! Seems like our stop for lunch brought half the population of the town out. As we hung out in the Timmies parking lot eating our sandwiches, we had a parade of people asking where we were from and giving us advice on where to go on the island and everyone warned us to be careful of the killer moose on the roads - they like to jump out in front of vehicles. Normally our conversations went like this, "How's it going der, eh? Watch out for dem der moose!". Lots of stories of moose strikes on The Rock, especially during the early morning and evening hours.

DSCN9444-L.jpg

Gros Morne Park - wiped from the ferry ride

We got to Gros Morne Park in the early afternoon and set up camp. Because I opted to take pictures on the ferry ride instead of sleep, I passed out immediately while Neda took the opportunity to hike around see the park. Later on, we met up with Ben at the visitor centre, who happened to be a fellow ADV rider on an XT600 from New York who told us that a GS rider had died on the Trans-Labrador trail that he rode on the week before. Sad news.

DSC0164-L.jpg

Neda's hike through Gros Morne Park

DSC0189-L.jpg

Gros Morne Park

The next morning, we made a decision to hot-foot it across the island. We're remorseful because we would have liked to spend more time here but we had to meet friends in Halifax in a few days time, and it turns out the ferry from NL's east coast only runs three times a week! Neda really likes it here and it is high on her list of places to move to whenever we decide to settle down again. We both really wanted to ride to St Anthony's to see the icebergs glide down between Labrador and Newfoundland, but Ben assured us that there weren't a lot of them. Next time!

The scenery off the main highway was pretty uniform as it cut its way through the boreal forest of the island. I had the depressing feeling that we were missing so much of Newfoundland and I vowed that after we wrapped things up at home, I mean Toronto... :), we would go about the rest of our journey very differently. After trekking 700 kms eastwards and a whole day later, we pulled into St John's, the capital city of NL.

DSC0195-L.jpg

Neda hams it up at Cape Speer. Took forever to dry her off...

capespeer2-L.jpg

Looking pensive at Cape Speer

The fog was pretty thick in the early evening as we rode the steep and windy road out to Cape Speer, the eastern-most point in Canada. It's just outside St John's, and Neda remarks how understated our tourist attractions are compared to the US. No wall-to-wall T-shirt/hot-dog stand/souvenir stalls here, just the beauty of the eastern Newfoundland coast. We stared out at the Atlantic ocean together and wondered what we'd see and where we'd end up next.

capespeer1-L.jpg

This is where our journey really starts...

capespeer3-L.jpg

Following the yellow brick road to the lighthouse at Cape Speer

Starving, we rode back down to St John's for dinner. We were parked somewhere in downtown St John's looking for a place to eat, with no success when we walked back to our bikes and there was a guy on a huge red Kawi waiting for us! Roy is a paramedic in St John's, and he was just riding around when he saw two unfamiliar bikes (everyone knows everyone in St John's) and he wanted to give us a tour of his city. So we hopped on and followed him around town as he showed us the sights. He was a great ambassador for the town and we felt like we had the red carpet treatment!

DSC0260-L.jpg

Roy, our tour guide around St John's

Our final stop on Roy's tour was the restaurant we were looking for, the Bacalao, billed as "nouveau Newfoundland cuisine". After a long day of touring, the food was excellent: Labrador caribou and traditional salted cod. Amazing food, all washed down by some dark ale from a local brewery called Quidi Vidi.

Living my dream . . .

I'm so happy you and Neda are having a great time on the trip so far! I enjoy reading the updates and i'll be honest, i miss the weekly chats down at timmies. all the best to you and Neda from G and I!

Sammy

Interesting proposition but this threads sounds like a relocation tour. Newfoundland and the east is nice to look at but the economics is tough. My guess this tour will be going westward. Take lots of pics and videos, visit tourist centers to figure out the attractions. Spend the time to look at those attractions as it may be a long time before you decide to do a repeat.

Nice bikes and may your ride be safe.

Gene has a hot body, could easily pull in a grand in one night on Jarvis street if need be.

I think this adventure will be more than a visit to Newfoundland and out west.

Check back often, I don't think there is anyone on the net that writes a ride report like light cycle does.

haters gon' hate!
many would be jealous because they can't (or lack the courage) to be doing what G&N are doing...
The ONLY negative thing to be said is that they left a bunch of caring friends & families behind while they go on this lifelong joyride, everything else is rubbish.

Have fun G&N, we miss you already :(

Awesome, truly awesome.

Freedom....I think my signature sums it all up?

Congratulations on making the best decisions of your lives!
Most folks are too afraid to venture into the "unknown".

If you're back in town during the Sept 20-23rd weekend, that's when the Horizon's Unlimited weekend is happening up at Horseshoe Valley - there will be a lot of fellow globe trotters there from which to learn from. There will also be some seminars and other stuff too - the event is helped out by DSP.

Ride safe. Enjoy. Repeat.

Back
Top Bottom