Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding... | Page 114 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Quit our jobs, sold our home and everything in it, gone riding...

Thankfully the sprinkles were brief, lasting only less than an hour. It was already dry when we pull into our first Greek town, Kastoria, to look for some food. I know exactly what I'm ordering! My favorite Greek food is souvlaki, mainly lamb. We find a nice restaurant overlooking the lake and perused the menu. Unfortunately, no lamb souvlaki, but they did have pork instead. With lots of tzatziki sauce. Mmmmmm...

Then we looked at the bill. Holy crap, it was expensive! Over double what we were used to paying in Albania. Whut!?! I don't think we'll be eating out a lot in Greece. Aren't they supposed to be having a recession in this country?!

DSCN9860-L.jpg

Outside the restaurant where we ate. I love all the Greek writing, it really makes you feel like you're somewhere exotic!

GΣΠΣ & ΠΣDΔ in GRΣΣCΣ! Haha! Or, I should say... HΔHΔ!

So obviously with prices so high, we didn't stay in town. I found a nice place in a village called, Sidirochori, up in the hills a few kms outside Kastoria.

DSCN9863-L.jpg

This place was a lot nicer than I thought it would be based on the price! And amazing views of the countryside too!

We're going to take a couple of days to rest up here.

DSC_0776-L.jpg

Neda is starting a new cross-stitch pattern. This one is going to be her most ambitious one yet! Can you guess what it is?

DSC_0496-L.jpg

I woke up early the next morning to catch the sun rising over the hills in Northern Greece.

DSC_0498-L.jpg

The apiary across the street from us was buzzing with activity. Was so tempted to lob a water balloon at them. HΣΣ HΣΣ HΣΣ...

Our host is a really nice Greek lady who didn't look at all like what I thought Greek people looked like. I thought everyone here would be olive-skinned with dark hair. She had fair skin and blonde hair and spoke really good English. She gave us some suggestions of things to see in the area. She said there was a road behind where we are staying that's really popular with motorcyclists. It leads to a traditional Greek village called Nymfaio, which is one of the prettiest villages in Northern Greece. Oooh, temples and ruins? Okay, let's do it!

DSCN9873-L.jpg

More cool Greek writing on the way to Nymfaio

DSC_0805-L.jpg

As we left our bikes in the parking lot, a bunch of horses came down from the mountains to greet us!

DSC_0810-L.jpg

"Can we keep him?" Dunno. Is your tank bag big enough, Neda?

DSC_0813-L.jpg

So, we walked around a little bit and no temples or ruins...

It turns out that there are other periods in this country's history besides Ancient Greece. This town was first settled in the 1300s, but developed as a major centre in the 1700s. Okay, so we're a couple thousand of years too far along here for the temples and ruins. Our search continues!

DSC_0817-L.jpg

Dropping into the village store to check out the trinkets. Neda buys some cherries at the market

Those are some mad camera skills in that Albania video. Downhill switchbacks with boulders everywhere, sheer drops to the left, no barriers to speak of, hitting the apex at speed, 'click'. I do realize that you live on a motorcycle, but I'm very impressed.

The scenery is awesome. Thank you for the updates!

Cheers

Gotta hand it to ya Gene...one handed on mountain dirt switch backs beside a sheer drop off......

Funny, the only Greek I know was fair shinned and blonde. :D

I know a redhead Greek.

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/328.html

map328-L.jpg

Our search for Ancient Greek temples and ruins in the north have proven fruitless, so we are heading further south into the mainland.

DSC_0529-L.jpg

Once again, warm and dry weather continues to greece our travels.

DSC_0523-L.jpg

We ride past green rolling hills with churches at the top. So pretty!

DSC_0527-L.jpg

Trivia time: the milk thistle plant was used by the Ancient Greeks to treat a variety of ailments related to blood and liver problems

"Here Socrates, drink this. It's only a bit of milk thistle..."

DSC_0559-L.jpg

As we get closer to our destination...

DSC_0553-L.jpg

...we see these magnificent rock formations breaking through the ground and reaching up to the sky

These rocks are called Meteora or as the Greeks write it, Μετέωρα. Greek writing is so cθθl. Every word looks like a math theorem. Apart from being the name of a great Linkin Park album, Meteora means "middle of the sky", "suspended in the air" or "in the heavens above". It's the same root as the word we use for the weather: meteorology.

I wasn't wrong about the rocks looking like they broke through the ground. About 60 million years ago, these rocks were part of the seabed but a huge seismic event pushed them above the waters and over time vertical cracks formed in the rock to create the pillars we see today.

DSC_0572-L.jpg

This picture doesn't do justice to the size and scale of these rocks

DSCN9905-L.jpg

Because the closer we get, the larger they appear to be

DSC_0579-L.jpg

We reach the town right at the base of these rocks - Kastraki. This is our apartment!

Kastraki is not even a town, it's more like a village. When we researched places to stay in Meteora, there were two choices: Kastraki, tiny and quiet with little amenities, or the larger town nearby called Kalambaka - where all the shops and restaurants were. Kalambaka was more expensive, so we picked Kastraki because we had our own wheels. I think Kalambaka would better be suited for backpackers since that's where all the public transportation runs to and from.

It turned out to be a great choice. We loved the cosy, village atmosphere and if we wanted to get some groceries or go out to eat, we could just hop on the bikes and head into Kalambaka about 3kms away.

We didn't stay long in Kastraki. Our host gave us a map of Meteora and we were immediately back on the bikes and off to explore!

DSC_0874-L.jpg

Neda had to remove puppies, seashells and her leaf collection from her tank bag to make space for the Meteora map

The nice tourism people have built a great road that climbs up to and around the top of the rock formations. I feel that riding our motorcycles up to the top is a way better option than hiking, although I'm sure crazy people do just that. I'm looking at you, Neda.

DSC_0585-L.jpg

Riding towards the rocks of Meteora. Hey, are those buildings on top of those rocks?

DSC_0586-XL.jpg

Not just any buildings, these are medieval monasteries!

And not just one. There are six of them up here. This one is called the Monastery of the Holy Trinity.

There are caves around Meteora that have been inhabited by people for thousands of years. In the 11th century a bunch of hermit monks took up residence in the caves and fissures in Meteora, many hundreds of meters above the ground. They *REALLY* wanted to get away from people. They started building monasteries at the top of these rocks (about 400m high) in the 14th century, using only ropes to get building materials up to the summit. What an engineering feat!

They also used removable rope ladders to keep other people away. My brother and I used to build pillow forts on the living room couch when we were kids. So I totally see the appeal of this.

DSC_0612-L.jpg

However, I'm not feeling the whole rope ladder thing. Fortunately there's a cable car that goes from the lip to the Holy Trinity Monastery! :)

Unfortunately the cable car is not currently operating. :(

DSC_0618-XL.jpg

So we have to walk down to the very bottom of the rocks and then climb back up to get to the monastery. Why even tease me with that cable car line?!?

A 400m hike down and then a 400m climb up. Then we have to do it again to get back to our bikes. Surprise hike is about as thrilling as a pop quiz...

DSC_0624-XL.jpg

Fortunately in the last 600 years, they've done away with the rope ladders and carved stairs into the rock to climb up to the monastery. Thank you, Tourism Board of Meteora! The hermit monks probably weren't too happy about that...

Speaking of which, there are still monks living in the monasteries. There are six monasteries in total, four monks live in this one. With all the tourists coming in and out, they're probably not hermit monks anymore.

DSC_0659-L.jpg

There's a strict dress code for women in the monasteries. Wearing pants is not enough. Neda was given a wrap to put around her trousers.

DSC_0638-L.jpg

A peek inside some of the artwork inside the Monastery of the Holy Trinity

DSC_0654-L.jpg

You get some awesome views of the valley below from the monasteries

DSC_0647-XL.jpg

A couple of other monasteries in Meteora. The one in the foreground, the Monastery of Rousanou, is actually women-only. There are 13 nuns in residence there.

DSC_0656-L.jpg

Looking down into the town of Kalambaka at the base of Meteora

So it turns out that the monastery that we just visited, the Holy Trinity, is the most difficult one to reach. The rest are more accessible and don't require such a long hike up and down. We ride over to another one that looks interesting, the Holy Monastery of Varlaam. This one has a bridge to get to it across the chasm. I like bridges.

DSC_0854-XL.jpg

Great view of the Monastery of St. Nicholas Anapausas from above

DSC_0849-L.jpg

The Monastery of Varlaam has a nice big courtyard big enough to play basketball in.
The monks here have put together a team called the Varlaam Globetrotters.

The Varlaam Globetrotters play in an inter-monastery league. Their fiercest rival comes from the neighbouring Monastery of St. Nicholas Anapausas - they call themselves the Nicks.

Varlaam is a lot bigger than the Holy Trinity. The nice people at the Tourism Board have recreated many rooms to reflect life of the monks in the middle ages.

DSC_0839-L.jpg

Storeroom. Those berries are fake. Don't ask me how I know...

DSC_0845-L.jpg

"What's in this room?" -- "Oh, this is where we keep our skull collection!" I don't think these are fake.

DSC_0714-L.jpg

And of course, my favorite subject for photos - votive candles!

DSC_0673-L.jpg

"This is just the coolest thing. Monasteries on top of rock pillars!"

It's as if someone went to Arches National Park in Utah and built churches on top of all the weird Road Runner-like sandstone formations in the desert. Well, seeing how quickly those are eroding... probably not a good idea.

DSC_0855-L.jpg

Cannot get enough of this scenery!

DSC_0684-L.jpg

Monasteries on rock pillars aren't the only interesting structures at Meteora. Here's another one in the distance.

Well, it's 5PM and the monasteries are all closed to the public. That's okay, we're kind of monasteried-out anyway. At €3 per person per monastery, it was getting a bit expensive. They say the best time to view the rocks of Meteora is around sunset - the light casts amazing hues and shadows over the landscape. We're only a few days away from the summer solstice, which means sunset is... check the Interweb... 8:50PM. Wow, that's a lot of time to kill.

We could ride back to town, wait and then come back, but we'll only have a couple of hours in the apartment before we have to head back to this same spot, so we decide to just hang out here. The weather is so pleasant and the scenery beats staring at the wall or a computer screen.

DSC_0806-L.jpg

We ride around the rim of the valley overlooking the rocks to find a suitable viewing area. A friendly local dog follows us, in search of snacks

DSC_0794-L.jpg

I think Meteoro, the dog, has temporarily adopted us. He's following us everywhere. I wonder why...

Playing with Meteoro really helps pass the time. We get a little bit jealous when other people start arriving and he goes off to greet them. We really need our own dog. One that will love us, and only us...

yoga-L.jpg

Neda practices some yoga. Watching all that activity makes Meteoro very tired. Me too, pooch. Me too...

DSC_0856-L.jpg

My R1200GS and I. This is pretty close to the correct scale... Hεε hεε

Meteoro tires of us (Neda ran out of snacks) and went off to find other humans to mooch off of. The sun was getting lower in the sky and it was starting to get quite cold!

DSC_0702-L.jpg

We rode back and forth on this road on the lip of the canyon catching different views of Meteora

DSC_0923-L.jpg

We settled on this spot on the cliffs overlooking the rocks of Meteora to wait for the sunset

This feels so familiar. How many times during this trip have we taken pause at the end of the day and just picked a spot to watch the sun lazily drift back down to earth? How many times did we do that before this trip? I think this to me is so representative of our life now. Literally taking the time to smell roses and watch sunsets. And not just for these cliched moments, but being mindful and present for all the extraordinary and ordinary events as they unwind in front of us. Instead of allowing time to turn into an automaton, scrolling our lives away with little accountability.

DSC_0920-L.jpg

I can feel the sunset coming because the last little bit of heat from the sky is slowly leaving my face.

DSC_0865-L.jpg

Nice. Okay, we can go back to our apartment now. :)

Where to now, Neda? Oh yeah... still my turn... :(

Updated from http://www.RideDOT.com/rtw/329.html

map329-L.jpg

DSCN9922-L.jpg

A bit of an overcast day as we leave Meteora

DSCN9926-L.jpg

We are continuing our southbound route through mainland Greece.

Today is a commuting day for us as we relocate ourselves in Greece. Our planned route takes us alongside the Pindus Mountain range, the same mountains that extend down from Southern Albania. Our ride is interrupted by a few sprinkles. Every time it rains, I think, "Uh oh. Is this it? Is our incredible string of good weather finally over"

Back
Top Bottom