Purchasing a new motorcycle | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Purchasing a new motorcycle

You are correct, there is a time limit where the vehicle must be registered.
However, as it will be sitting in a garage until the new owner is ready to ride it, there is no HTA offence.

That doesn't seem to be the case.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/used.shtml

Note: Failure to transfer the vehicle within six days is an offence under the Highway Traffic Act.

It doesn't state anything about exemptions if the vehicle is "just sitting in a garage" or anything...it says that within 6 days of the actual sale you must transfer it.

So, unless the seller is willing to give you a bill of sale that is going to be within 6 days of whatever date potentially months down the road you plan to actually complete the transfer, you are technically on the wrong side of the law.

And IMHO it's just wrong to leave something in someone else's name. If the previous owner decides to go and get a lien on said vehicle after the fact (which he could entirely do since it's still legally registered in his name) you'd regret that decision, wouldn't you?

Last edited:
Great advice from everyone :)

The registration date is good info, I live in Mississauga. Since I would rent a U-haul trailer anyway, I'm widening my searches to all of Ontario. Some small towns don't have a service Ontario, or it may be far/closed, I would transfer if within a week for peace of mind, so knowing it doesn't have to be done that day is good. I assumed the previous owner had to sign something at the MTO.

The Motocross up north looks really good, and I'm going to see if I can round a few friends/family and do a weekend someday. For learning purposes and just fun!

As for the seca II, It is my preferred choice due to cost, size, and ability to learn maintenance on (naked conversion during winter), though I'm open to looking for a 2012-15" Honda CB500F or maybe a little too big, but at Suzuki GSF650S Bandit if I can save up enough. I know it's just a first bike, and I agree, something reliable and comfortable is top priority, age and make is second, and Insurance is a concern too, I do call whenever I have a bike in mind first.

Great advice from everyone :)

The registration date is good info, I live in Mississauga. Since I would rent a U-haul trailer anyway, I'm widening my searches to all of Ontario. Some small towns don't have a service Ontario, or it may be far/closed, I would transfer if within a week for peace of mind, so knowing it doesn't have to be done that day is good. I assumed the previous owner had to sign something at the MTO.

The Motocross up north looks really good, and I'm going to see if I can round a few friends/family and do a weekend someday. For learning purposes and just fun!

As for the seca II, It is my preferred choice due to cost, size, and ability to learn maintenance on (naked conversion during winter), though I'm open to looking for a 2012-15" Honda CB500F or maybe a little too big, but at Suzuki GSF650S Bandit if I can save up enough. I know it's just a first bike, and I agree, something reliable and comfortable is top priority, age and make is second, and Insurance is a concern too, I do call whenever I have a bike in mind first.
My wife rides a 01 600 bandit that she just got this year. It's her first upgrade after riding a 250 ninja for 3 seasons. She loves the bike, more than enough power for her and insurance is $590/year with TD. We bought it for $2500 and it safetied the way it sat.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

I had an XJ600 Seca II ... I rode it for 80k. I liked it, pretty much dead reliable for me for 2 years that I had it. is not too powerful, has about 50hp on it when I dyno'ed it.

Let me know if you get one, I MAY have some spare parts left over I could sell you if you needed spares.

My wife rides a 01 600 bandit that she just got this year. It's her first upgrade after riding a 250 ninja for 3 seasons. She loves the bike, more than enough power for her and insurance is $590/year with TD. We bought it for $2500 and it safetied the way it sat.

Sent from my Le Pan TC802A using Tapatalk

Sounds like a great bike, I doubt my insurance will be as low... on anything...as a starter :eek:

I had an XJ600 Seca II ... I rode it for 80k. I liked it, pretty much dead reliable for me for 2 years that I had it. is not too powerful, has about 50hp on it when I dyno'ed it.

Let me know if you get one, I MAY have some spare parts left over I could sell you if you needed spares.

Nice! I'm always surprised by the friendliness and willingness to help on here, much appreciated.

I'm leaning towards doing the off-road courses this year as suggested by MacDoc, and perhaps save the cash and insurance for next year. I also ran across this, and it looks crazy fun, a good way to learn, build confidence and ride some enduros down the road :D

http://www.bmwhorseshoe.com/

Question | for something like the courses above, they have one that says "Two Day Level One GS Off Road Certification Course using our G 650 GS". Would that certification lower insurance down the road? like the MSC

Off-road experience doesn't do anything for on-road insurability. There's lots of kids with decades of motocross/dirt experience who are still rated as brand new riders when they decide to go street.

Off-road experience doesn't do anything for on-road insurability. There's lots of kids with decades of motocross/dirt experience who are still rated as brand new riders when they decide to go street.

I understand when you do the MSC and graduate, your still considered a new rider, and get a small deduction. I feel for the off-road courses with certification (not just saying your rode as a kid), they should further give a small deduction, atleast to people who do get enduros/touring bikes (though off road skills/maneuvers work on many types of bikes). Whats new with insurance companies though, reducing premiums isn't their game...

Back
Top Bottom