Prostate !! ?? What's the latest appproach? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Prostate !! ?? What's the latest appproach?

My TURP was nothing like that.

I felt no post-operative effects, was not peeing blood at all.

I did have a "false start" of about 1 1/2 weeks when my catheter was removed / still couldn't pee / replaced / removed - could pee for ~ 1 week / stop being able to pee / catheter re-inserted for ~ week / catheter replaced ~ 1 week / catheter removed ..... able to pee normally ever since.

Here are my actual "post operative notes" :

A 26-French continuous flow resectoscope was then inserted into the
urethra and the bladder was entered with no difficulty using an
obturator. Urine was sent for culture. Bilateral ureteric orifices
were identified. They were well away from the bladder neck.

We identified the verumontanum as a distal margin resection. We began
resecting between the 5 and 7 o'clock positions from the bladder neck
all the way down to the verumontanum. We then resected the left
lateral lobe.

This was taken down to the capsule. We then resected
the right lateral lobe. At the end of the resection, the prostatic
urethra was wide open. Adequate hemostasis was ensured. All the
prostate chips were sent to pathology. We had another look. There
was no evidence of injury to the ureters. Adequate hemostasis was
ensured. The scope was removed. A 22 three-way catheter was inserted
and attached to CBI. It was draining clear at the end of the case.

Stabilized with the PACU.
Good to hear. Not being in the medical field I could only go by the two cases I've encountered.

I been having my prostate checked once a month , does that actually need to be done by a doctor ?

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com
No, doctor required.

Your self examinations are fine.

Some info wrt diagnostics ....
The "glove" (mostly not done anymore):
The "finger" procedure allows the doc to explore only one side of the prostate, what if the swelling is on the other side? The "physical" is not entirely reliable.
The PSA test (modus operandi today and a "pay for" procedure):
The PSA blood test readings should be monitored, a rapid change in the reading indicates an issue.
BTW extended sitting on a bicycle or motorcycle elevates PSA levels.
MRI
The MRI procedure is the best in circumstance, but OHIP will not fund that as a primary diagnosis.

(I am not in the medical profession, garnered the above from a webinar by Dr. Peter Lin, CBC Health Columnist)
PSA test is free once your results are over the limit. IIRC it's about $35 anyways. Cheap insurance in my books.

Bicycle riding does cause a spike in the level as does a digital exam so get the PSA test before the finger. No raunchy fun before the PSA.

excellent info. √
This is likely the route I will go
The urologist I spoke with said rezume (Steam shot) had mixed reviews by the patients with a pretty even mix of success ratings. He indicated a few thought it went better than expected, a few as expected, a few a bit worse than expected and a few quite disappointed. There are many factors.

Very long but rewarding day. Urology appointment that went for hours with some success on the outcome.

Green laser seems passé now ....:rolleyes: -
Lost the urine bag, now have a "penis extension"......with a little valve. Much easier to maintain, wear shorts and go swimming. Did not expect so much progress in one day. (y)

Very long but rewarding day. Urology appointment that went for hours with some success on the outcome.

Green laser seems passé now ....:rolleyes: -
Lost the urine bag, now have a "penis extension"......with a little valve. Much easier to maintain, wear shorts and go swimming. Did not expect so much progress in one day. (y)
Is that a permanent fixture, DIY replacement from HD or something in between.

Just more convenient in the tropics. They will be doing more tests and scans....at least I'm accepted into the prgram and have a less limiting solution. ....count that a win.
No cancer
No obvious scarring...
Next up an optical look...not sure what a penile laparoscopy is called.

Just more convenient in the tropics. They will be doing more tests and scans....at least I'm accepted into the prgram and have a less limiting solution. ....count that a win.
No cancer
No obvious scarring...
Next up an optical look...not sure what a penile laparoscopy is called.
I had a camera up the tube and it was no big deal, just messy with fluids dribbling all over the place. No drugs so drive yourself etc.

This was a routine non invasive operation that 80% of men who make it to 80 need and 70% - like me - wait a decade or more to have. I have more discomfort from the port in my wrist and dental appointments.

The big bags are saline to flush the remains of the boring. I am in no pain whatsoever and only on my normal Panadol overnight dose which I take every night.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom