Pros + Cons/The Right Time? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pros + Cons/The Right Time?

First, let me say that I'm impressed with how articulate you are AND how respectful you are of your parents' opinion. Coupled with what appears to be an excellent work ethic and a solid grasp of how life works (education, etc.), you'll go far. Obviously, everyone here is a fan of motorcycles, so it's hard for us to come up with any negatives, beyond financial constraints. Motorcycles can be an excellent choice for primary transportation but in Canada it means you will get hot, cold, wet (and your stuff will get wet, too), be riding in the dark during spring and fall and in winter you'll be on the bus with the other schlubs. You will learn to identify bugs by taste (or by splatter pattern if you wear a fullface), you will develop an unreasonable hate for plain white vans, taxis, teenage girls with cell phones and anyone who rides a different style of bike from you (hating on scooters is okay because, well, they're scooters). You will have moments of unadulterated joy, followed almost immediately by moments of sheer terror. You will learn more about physics, friction and gravity than you thought possible outside of a classroom. And it will all be worth it. However, as a parent, I have to say that our job is to raise you safely and securely, guide you through all the pitfalls and see you well on to your way into adulthood. Motorcycles interfere with that goal. No parent ever wants to get that knock at the door. It's not something a parent can ever recover from. So please consider their feelings and fears as much as you consider your own dreams and desires.

Yeah, this is a good point. I can remember opening the door and seeing my parent's faces one night, after they saw on the news that a young man on a yellow motorcycle had been killed. They had been convinced it was me, they had been unable to reach me on my crappy cell phone, and I had returned late.

Not trying to be a wet blanket in this thread - I see myself riding for another 30 years at least :p

^
****, you do not sound young and stupid at all lol

I grew up having the typical Asian parents that beat the **** out of me until I could play a string instrument, in my case the cello, at a prestige level. When I think back to it, I would've rather spent the time and effort on dirt trails and it would have, believe it or not, cost them less than getting me into a string instrument. But it's nice to be able to play any piece of music I want by ear so you're right, our parents are never 100% wrong =)

And fyi, my friends, myself, and my girl friend pretty much just rode a bike home one day and told them to make room in the garage, they love us enough to not force us to sell it <_<

+1

cept for the old bozo concept ahem ;)

Not applicable to you. You rode a scooter on a motard ride :p

NinjaNams. Bitchez under 20 dig leather suits. Once they are over 20 they like leather seats. The time is right. Going to the prom on a bike trumps a limo :)

Not applicable to you. You rode a scooter on a motard ride :p

NinjaNams. Bitchez under 20 dig leather suits. Once they are over 20 they like leather seats. The time is right. Going to the prom on a bike trumps a limo :)

Rolling burn out entry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm being a horrible influence don't try that lol

油井緋色;2045084 said:
My GSX-R750 quote at 24 was 3500-8000. I'm paying 1700 now. This is this year (fairly recent). I know there is another drop at 30. Pretty sure license held time still matters.

My gf's quote drop was also dramatic, $4000 to $800

if u dont mind me asking who is ur gf insured with? i had a 250 and im 23 and i was paying 1450/yr

if u dont mind me asking who is ur gf insured with? i had a 250 and im 23 and i was paying 1450/yr

w -t -f

is your 250 25 years old??

I'm paying triple your rates for a new 300...and I'm only 5 years older to you

w -t -f

is your 250 25 years old??

I'm paying triple your rates for a new 300...and I'm only 5 years older to you
Who are you with?

Might be location, but this is my first season riding, insured at 28, 2012 Ninja 250R, about $800/yr for everything with State Farm. I'm out in London though.

WELL... you're getting ripped off LOL. I'm paying ~960 for a 600 and im 23... i used a little trick to get that rate, but according to my broker I'll be able to have that rate at 25 with no trick.

OP I want to give you my perspective (from a younger guy). I've wanted a bike for the longest time but for me it wasn't a viable option when I turned 16, financially speaking. Later on I went to university and my parents+government paid for all of it, leaving anything that I earned for myself, I though I had the money to buy a ****** bike but I decided to spend it on stuff to enhance my social life and experience as a college student instead, trust me, you don't want to miss out on those amazing years because you're broke.

My next and very important point (that many people have touch on already) is your experience on the street. I did get my G1, G2, and G as fast as possible because many insurance companies go down after having your G for over 5 years. I also drove my parents car around and I LEARNED to drive in the streets before anything else. Though you might think you're skillful enough to ride a bike, the streets are a dangerous place because you need to not only learn the rules of the street, but you need to understand the behavior of other drivers to be able to prevent accidents, though driving around doesn't mean you'll be good at driving (I know people that have been driving for over 20 years and they're a danger on the road), but it does provide more safety while you're being introduced into this new environment.

Third is your maturity. I can't really judge this matter since I don't know you, but you need to be VERY aware that motorcycles are fun as hell and they can go very fast.... though I follow the majority of the rules in the street no one in this forum can deny that they don't enjoy speeding up down a straight (specially if you ride a ss). Fighting temptation is very hard, and a small mistake can cost you more than you think so. So younger age = less maturity generally. Again, I'm not saying that this is the case for you, but you need to be very self conscious about this fact because you might end up affecting other people's life as well if something were to happen to you.

I don't regret not getting a bike before I finished university but hell I LOVE MY BIKE with crazy passion now. My suggestion is, if you're financially in a position to step into the hobby, don't rush for the big bikes, learn with something smaller <=250cc that will allow you at the same time acquire motorcycle skills and give you an understanding on how the street works and what you have to look out for (reckless drivers, drunk drivers, trucks, road hazards, etc), and enjoy your life most of all, don't scarify everything you have for one thing.

I know that you will ride eventually, and until then, like we all say... Ride safe!

P.S insurance wise you will want to kill yourself with the first few quotes you get, but I ended up doing what you suggested before, I'm under my dad's insurance (bike is under his name) and I'm a secondary rider. You will have to find a broker that's willing to do it because many of them seemed to get offended every time I brought this option up. Good luck!

OP I want to give you my perspective (from a younger guy). I've wanted a bike for the longest time but for me it wasn't a viable option when I turned 16, financially speaking. Later on I went to university and my parents+government paid for all of it, leaving anything that I earned for myself, I though I had the money to buy a ****** bike but I decided to spend it on stuff to enhance my social life and experience as a college student instead, trust me, you don't want to miss out on those amazing years because you're broke.

My next and very important point (that many people have touch on already) is your experience on the street. I did get my G1, G2, and G as fast as possible because many insurance companies go down after having your G for over 5 years. I also drove my parents car around and I LEARNED to drive in the streets before anything else. Though you might think you're skillful enough to ride a bike, the streets are a dangerous place because you need to not only learn the rules of the street, but you need to understand the behavior of other drivers to be able to prevent accidents, though driving around doesn't mean you'll be good at driving (I know people that have been driving for over 20 years and they're a danger on the road), but it does provide more safety while you're being introduced into this new environment.

Third is your maturity. I can't really judge this matter since I don't know you, but you need to be VERY aware that motorcycles are fun as hell and they can go very fast.... though I follow the majority of the rules in the street no one in this forum can deny that they don't enjoy speeding up down a straight (specially if you ride a ss). Fighting temptation is very hard, and a small mistake can cost you more than you think so. So younger age = less maturity generally. Again, I'm not saying that this is the case for you, but you need to be very self conscious about this fact because you might end up affecting other people's life as well if something were to happen to you.

I don't regret not getting a bike before I finished university but hell I LOVE MY BIKE with crazy passion now. My suggestion is, if you're financially in a position to step into the hobby, don't rush for the big bikes, learn with something smaller <=250cc that will allow you at the same time acquire motorcycle skills and give you an understanding on how the street works and what you have to look out for (reckless drivers, drunk drivers, trucks, road hazards, etc), and enjoy your life most of all, don't scarify everything you have for one thing.

I know that you will ride eventually, and until then, like we all say... Ride safe!

P.S insurance wise you will want to kill yourself with the first few quotes you get, but I ended up doing what you suggested before, I'm under my dad's insurance (bike is under his name) and I'm a secondary rider. You will have to find a broker that's willing to do it because many of them seemed to get offended every time I brought this option up. Good luck!
Thanks for all the advice! hearing that from someone only a few years older than me is nice. I really have no expenses for the next few years until university, making my situation almost the opposite of yours. I am working 40+ hours a week during the summer and than 25-30ish during school, but once I reach Uni I am not sure whether or not I will have time to have a job. I still have a lot of planning to do and it won't be a very fast process, but hopefully soon enough I will be out on the road.

Note - What insurance company are you with? If they are giving you that option than maybe I will give them a call and see what they say!

These guys have been very good to me.
Wiesner Insurance
140 Main Street North
Brampton, Ontario
L6V 1N8

Tel: (905) 451 4205 or (416) 498 6101
Toll-Free: 1 (800) 408 2877
Fax: (905) 451 9604
E-Mail: info@wiesnerinsurance.com

Unless things have changed - you will likely get the lowest cost from Facility Insurance but Wiesner will advise you.

http://www.facilityassociation.com/contactbrokers.asp

My kid started the way you are planning to....was his idea to go mcycle instead of car. He's now 5 years in with his own SV650 he chose, bought and is paying for on his own.
His pattern was
Honda Jaz, ( a bit too small but the grin on his face was priceless )
Yamaha Zuma ( excellent - good road presence despite the low CCs)
14_ZumaX_BL_1.png

and the cheapest insurance
http://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products/details.php?model=4397&group=MC&catId=16

Lots of them on Kiji
$T2eC16dHJF4FFkkd7eHcBRyQVdc-K!~~48_20.JPG

Yamaha BWS scooter for sale, like new condition, only 255 kms, new battery, serviced and ready to go. Never been licensed for the road. $1700.00 firm, please no low ball offers. 905 584 2145
with low mileage from about $1000 to $1700 but given your situation with employment etc you might consider new. Stick a windscreen on it and you are good for 9 months plus riding.

While moving up through some dedicated offroad machines Honda CF230 ( very good ) through Yamaha 250 YZ ( scary he said )

Then 250 Ninja....fun machine which I rode a couple of times.
Took a year off and rode dirt only and then saved enough to get the SV650.

No tickets and after being a bit of a wild man in the dirt has stayed reasonably conservative on the road ( mind you Pennsylvania was another story )
He's down to $200 a month now for insurance on a brand new bike with full coverage and a clean record with both his G and M at 21, a good credit record ( one reason you might consider a new small scoot ) and a proud dad.

IMNSHO ....get out there! I started at 17 ( driving at 16 ) and 45 years later still love it :D

I'm 21, first year of riding a 250 ninja, $3,000 a year. You'll be at probably 4,000+ at your age. A new ninja costs 4,000.

Waiting is probably the best decision you could make, or try dirt biking on the side for fun...

Why should he wait?? - facility insurance is $1900 a year for a 50cc for the first year ( that's well up from when my son did his and even the agent thinks it sucks ).
What's the point of waiting and missing 5 years of fun. My kid is 21 paying less insurance than you for a brand new 650 with full coverage.

OP certainly has the money to get going now - why ever should he wait?....5 years is a lifetime at his age.

Last edited:
Why should he wait?? - facility insurance is $1900 a year for a 50cc for the first year ( that's well up from when my son did his and even the agent thinks it sucks ).
What's the point of waiting and missing 5 years of fun. My kid is 21 paying less insurance than you for a brand new 650 with full coverage.

OP certainly has the money to get going now - why ever should he wait?....5 years is a lifetime at his age.
You couldn't have said that any better. My parents always say "why not wait until you're 18/19 so you are more mature, you have you're whole life". I can't even imagine waiting that long, I don't want to sound annoying/impatient but I have waited so long to get one that I want to be on one as soon as I financially can. I think a scooter is actually a good idea for the first year to get used to the roads and have a cheap insurance price, I than will hopefully move up to a ninja 250.

My Dad and I are planning on going on a motorcycle ride to america when I graduate high school (i'll be 18 and he turns 50) and it is my birthday present to him. I will need to at least have my license for 2 years before I can even imagine taking the highway all the way to 'merica.

My neighbors are all trying to tell me that when they previously owned bikes (20+ years ago) the most you could get out of a riding season was 3 months because it got too cold. I don't know if they are extremely sissy or the equipment has a advanced so much so that seasons last much longer, but my mom (being uneducated in the hobby) is starting to believe them and is saying that why waste money for only 3 months. That is an absolutely rediculous time frame correct? I think if I toughed it out I could get at least 8-9 months riding.

Back
Top Bottom