Private sale and test rides | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Private sale and test rides

Sadly my bike did not sell.

Guy showed up, took a vid, took some pics, thanked me and left.

Ah well. If it doesn’t sell I guess I’ll have to keep riding it. And I was already scoping out replacements!

If it doesn’t sell I’ll just keep it and give it a proper season trial before posting next season.

Is it priced to sell or priced to keep? If your bike is not selling then the price is too high.

When looking at other bikes on the market where is your price point relative to others and how long have the other ads been posted?

If you really want to move on to another bike then just I'd pull your ad(s). Wait a week, then repost a new ad(s) with a lower and more realistic price.

I'd also call the guy who came to see your bike and just ask him, politely, what turned him off your bike. Its condition? The way it ran? The price? Whatever. Nothing wrong with asking the question as long as he doesn't feel harassed or browbeaten.

Is it priced to sell or priced to keep? If your bike is not selling then the price is too high.

When looking at other bikes on the market where is your price point relative to others and how long have the other ads been posted?

If you really want to move on to another bike then just I'd pull your ad(s). Wait a week, then repost a new ad(s) with a lower and more realistic price.

I'd also call the guy who came to see your bike and just ask him, politely, what turned him off your bike. Its condition? The way it ran? The price? Whatever. Nothing wrong with asking the question as long as he doesn't feel harassed or browbeaten.
You’re right. I think I priced it well with a few hundred dollar buffer for negotiation.

However I’m also seeing Scramblers sitting for a few weeks as I’ve been keeping an eye.

Might wait a week, and as you say pull the add and repost for less.

You’re right. I think I priced it well with a few hundred dollar buffer for negotiation.

However I’m also seeing Scramblers sitting for a few weeks as I’ve been keeping an eye.

Might wait a week, and as you say pull the add and repost for less.
I did that...had it listed for $6800 initially...no action...pulled it and relisted for $6300...had something like 5 guys message right away...a couple were low ballers but 3 were more 'serious'...then I got sick and couldn't do anything...stuck with the guy who bought it today (he was the 2nd) only because he offered to meet me at a police station if that made me feel better...none of the others offered that...

On a side note, hubby was upset that they showed up with a dirty trailer...he would've never used it to transport a bike...LOL

View attachment 67304
I’ve had people show up in a rented van and then ask me to strap the bike down inside it for them as they don’t know how. I’ll take a buyer with a dirty trailer any day.

I think the majority of people / buyers are decent people. They just want a bike, a fair deal, don't want to be screwed over, don't want a bike that is going to blow up the first time they ride it. They have no intent to screw over people they deal with and just want to be treated fairly. Am I projecting here? Maybe.

I'd like to believe that 99%+ of the people out there are like that. The unfortunate thing is that we've all heard of the "buyer from hell" (apologies to the recently departed Richard Lewis............) The scam artist who arrives, gives you fake money, a social disease, and then commits numerous crimes on the bike still in your name so you spend the next 30 years defending lawsuits from offended parties. So, we treat the regular good people like prospective criminals to avoid the 1% who are. Bummer, but it is what it is.

I think the majority of people / buyers are decent people. They just want a bike, a fair deal, don't want to be screwed over, don't want a bike that is going to blow up the first time they ride it. They have no intent to screw over people they deal with and just want to be treated fairly. Am I projecting here? Maybe.

I'd like to believe that 99%+ of the people out there are like that. The unfortunate thing is that we've all heard of the "buyer from hell" (apologies to the recently departed Richard Lewis............) The scam artist who arrives, gives you fake money, a social disease, and then commits numerous crimes on the bike still in your name so you spend the next 30 years defending lawsuits from offended parties. So, we treat the regular good people like prospective criminals to avoid the 1% who are. Bummer, but it is what it is.
While 99% of the people buying may be good people, those good people are buying a bike a year or less. A scammer will be trying to run their play as many times a year as possible. If they run their scam 100 times a year, that means you have a 50/50 chance that a meeting is with a scammer. Obviously we are just making up numbers here and i hope real odds are better.

Back
Top Bottom