Pre-apprenticeship training, who has done one? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Pre-apprenticeship training, who has done one?

ravensix

Site Supporter
Hey guys, anyone hear of PAT institute?

I'm thinking of a second career choice and as I was driving home one day I seen a billboard for PAT institute. It's a pre-apprenticeship training place, and today I went in to speak with one of the advisors. He made it seem straight forward and boosted the place saying its good, I'll be good, blah blah blah.

So I got home and tried to find something on google about this place, and like 90% of reviews are saying this place is scam.

Anyone on this forum ever do a pre-apprenticeship?

Sounds shady. It's pre-training training. Why not just start an apprenticeship? The ones I have seen aren't hard to get in to.

With an apprenticeship you are being paid to work and learn. With this PAT you are paying them to learn the same things. The time spent going to this PAT school is better used to get your apprenticeship started as soon as possible and start getting your required hours and generate an income.

What field are you trying to get into. When i got into electrical, people are all saying the pre-apprenticeship classes are hoax.
I went through this, http://www.electricalapprenticeship.ca/apply/construction.html , got got my preapprenticeship through that. Once you get in, you'll be in good hands.

Apparently in the electrical, union 353, theres a new thing called pre-apprenticeship. Which means you'll need to finish 1800 hrs of probation before you start your actual apprenticeship and become a member of the union. During your pre-app, you will still reap the benefits and all the sweets that come along. Pay is 35% of a journeyman's wage.

Below is the wage package of pre-app. app. and journeymans. I fall under one of the category and the number shown is the number that will be seen in your pay stub.

Last edited:
Disclaimer - Every winter, I teach at Humber College in both their pre-apprenticeship and apprenticeship programs for horticulture.

I know that at Humber College they offer pre-apprenticeship training programs that are very similar to the apprenticeship programs but are completely government funded, whereas the apprenticeship programs are only partially funded. The pre-app programs are only offered in a few fields. Many years ago, I did the pre-app program at Humber in Horticulture (as a student) and it was a solid program with a very good job fair which led to almost every student finding meaningful employment within the industry. After the job fair and finding employment in the industry, the student was then responsible for applying to the regular apprenticeship program. Beginning the following year, they could jump right into year 2 as they would get credit for having completed the first year of education since the courses in the pre-app were exactly the same as the ones in the 1st year regular apprenticeship program..

I've never heard of the PAT institute. As already asked, it very much depends what program you are getting into. If the apprenticeship program that you are thinking of pursuing does not have a pre-app program, then it is more than likely that with some basic knowledge of the field and an employer to sponsor you, the better route would be to go through a community college to complete the apprenticeship training. There are specific criteria that must be met for a person to be considered eligible for a pre-app program at Humber or other community colleges, so if you are not currently employed in the industry and meet the other specific criteria, then a pre app program might be a good way to get into the industry. Personally, if I was going to consider doing a pre-app program, it would directly through the local community college and not through a private college like PAT.

Here is a link you might find useful - http://www.tcu.gov.on.ca/eng/apprentices/pre_apprent.html

Call the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities to get specific info related to the field you are interested in.

I have completed and taught at Centennial College's Pre-apprenticeship course. It's ~32 weeks of in class and in shop study. In my case it was the Motorcycle and Powersports Repair Techniques program. It was as advertised. Once completed, students find a job, get signed up as an apprentice and can challenge the first year exams for: motorcycle, marine and/or small engines repair; depending on what field they go into. In order to be recognized by the MTCU and College of Trades, it must be an approved program. Approval is time consuming and expensive to get, thus limited to Colleges (usually). Which trade are you thinking about getting into?

Thanks for everyones input. As of right now, the electrical and network cabling is what I am trying to get into, or maybe HVAC. Which ever one might be easier to find a job in.

I looked into PATi because you don't need a physics credit or your gr12 college level math credit. I left high school early because I was young and making money and thought school was waste of time ahah what a joke, and the other colleges it seems one would require to have at least gr.12 college math to get into these apprentice programs, that would mean I would need to go back to adult school and do my math course and finish and than be able to apply for the said programs. It would be more time consuming.

Disclaimer - Every winter, I teach at Humber College in both their pre-apprenticeship and apprenticeship programs for horticulture.

Does one require Gr.12 college level math to qualify for pre app programs at Humber? Are there ways to get around this? Damn I really got kicked in the *** with leaving school early, It seems like the damn math credit is haunting me.

Yah, It looks like I should just get that done with.

Also, I did more reading and apparently PAT institute is run by Herzing College.

I did adult education for a while to scratch off most of my needed credits, only one I need still is the gr.12 math.

But it's such a challenge, the last math course I attended was a gr.10 work place math. I even did a math assessment for applying to Conestoga and they told me I would need to take a course called "core essentials math" like damn...... embarrassing lol

Does one require Gr.12 college level math to qualify for pre app programs at Humber? Are there ways to get around this? Damn I really got kicked in the *** with leaving school early, It seems like the damn math credit is haunting me.

You may get into pre-apprenticeship course w/o Gr.12 as a mature student status. I'm Gr.10 drop out, got into pre-app. HVAC based on mature student testing including mechanical aptitude, spatial reasoning, basic trade math and English. That was a very long time ago, so need to research how the game is played today. I wouldn't go for easiest to get a job, I'd go for the best job-HVAC. You gotta be on the ball for that.

You may get into pre-apprenticeship course w/o Gr.12 as a mature student status. I'm Gr.10 drop out, got into pre-app. HVAC based on mature student testing including mechanical aptitude, spatial reasoning, basic trade math and English. That was a very long time ago, so need to research how the game is played today. I wouldn't go for easiest to get a job, I'd go for the best job-HVAC. You gotta be on the ball for that.

I've been hearing that a lot, apparently HVAC guys know basic electrical stuff too. And a lot of electrical guys are saying to go HVAC.

I've been hearing that a lot, apparently HVAC guys know basic electrical stuff too. And a lot of electrical guys are saying to go HVAC.

HVAC techs walk with a strut that would make an electrician blush. Top of the food chain. Need skillz to back it up.

When I considered going into HVAC last year I went to talk to some guys at Hi-Mark school in North Toronto. Seemed like a good school and had a fairly good (in their words) program where they would set you up with a company for some hands on training. Not sure about their requirements education wise though so give them a call and check it out. It's about 5k for the entire program, including books and all materials.

I didn't do it because I am not in a stage where I can go back to making 15-16/hr and support my family at the same time. And it's mighty hard to get your apprentice hours part time! Although you can get your G3 with some online courses only from them.

As for education, get your grade 12. This may not be the only thing that it keeps you from so may as well get it done and taken care of.

Like others suggested, if you can, I would highly suggest you go back and get the math credit, because it will continue to help you later on.

Within the horticulture program at Humber, one does not need grade 12 math to qualify for the pre-app program, however those that do not have it struggle in the math component within the program. Our program also covers courses like landscape estimation, construction and plan reading as well, so being comfortable with math certainly helps. If math is one of your weaker subjects, don't worry too much, but then definitely spend lots of time to get better at it - especially going into something like HVAC.

Sucks but I think this is the truf. Looks like I need to get that gr12 math credit.

If the next enrollment for the program is in September, then spend this winter earning your Gr12 math. Spend next spring and summer earning higher maths that are specific to the field (ie calculus or algebra). The more you prepare yourself now for your upcoming enrollment, the better you will do in the course and more importantly, the easier the material will come to you allowing you to digest more information during the apprenticeship training. It's all about doing your homework before it is assigned to you.

Sucks but I think this is the truf. Looks like I need to get that gr12 math credit.

Can't help you with the apprentice thing, but if you're going to school to do the maths and need help, this site is great:
https://www.khanacademy.org/math

Pretty much grade 1 to differential calculus. Just in case you need to brush up on things.

Back
Top Bottom