Practical Car vs Fun Car as a second car! - Sub 20k or less! | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Practical Car vs Fun Car as a second car! - Sub 20k or less!

have we overlooked all the Mustang 5L convertibles? Fun, 6sp, american V8. Cheap to buy and maintain and almost iconic.

Not at all forgotten! Was at the ford dealership tonight but they had ZILCH in used manual Mustangs. :(

i like the newer 2011 V6 as they seem to have done a lot to that car.

also tried to drive the GTI in Etobicoke today but it got sold as I drove there:(

Sherway Acura also had zilch in manual transmission TSX models :(

I went and checked kijiji, there are a few mustang 6sp posted up, a 2011 for under 19k with upgraded factory rims and leather. Bang for the buck the mustang is a pretty good buy and if you like to add go fast bits there is no limits to whats available.

Stangs make great winter cars with chain

mustang_chains_Medium.sized.jpg

I went and checked kijiji, there are a few mustang 6sp posted up, a 2011 for under 19k with upgraded factory rims and leather. Bang for the buck the mustang is a pretty good buy and if you like to add go fast bits there is no limits to whats available.

Ya I've seen a bunch for that price. There's a few I want to test drive. Wife keeps saying she misses the Genesis so might look for a used one there as well.

Dude, I found this car on the weekend, while looking for deals south of the border: http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/d...defelicechev&car_id=346297944&dealer_id=71809

If I was ready to buy, I'd probably be planning a trip to the states - this price for late-model Miata's is not unusual!

Thanks, but if I was considering that type of car I'd be more looking at the BRZ or FR-S as I've driven them a few times and very nice cars. One buddy has an auto, the other a 6-speed and the 6-speed is just a hoot! Not a lot of pull in the lower rpm but once you get it going the thing is just plain fun.

I have an option to buy a 2008 BMW 135i auto with 130k for about $16k. I know Im terrified of the German cars but damn this thing is fun! Price includes winter tires. Thoughts?

G8 is too large
G6 GTO I didn't even know they brought into Canada!

Until recently I hadn't really noticed them too often, but I've been getting in to the car thing this past summer (I'm restoring and modifying an 87 trans am) and have noticed they are all over the place. See a couple every week... And like I said, nobody knows about them so they are a sleeper. It will put those smug BMW drivers in their place.
Im headed in the "sleeper" direction with my car, so the next dude in a porsche that wants to feel good picking on a worn down 140hp 5.0 gets a little surprise.

I have an option to buy a 2008 BMW 135i auto with 130k for about $16k. I know Im terrified of the German cars but damn this thing is fun! Price includes winter tires. Thoughts?

Don't just walk..... RUN away from this deal.

G8 is too large

My experience with bmws? Anything after 100k starts to need work. New rad, thermostat, waterpump (entire cooling system). Electrical engine issues ; new crankshaft sensors, O2 sensors, etc. Keep an eye for control arms, you have to replace the whole arm not just balljoints. Look at valve cover gaskets.

My gf's family has a 528i & my bro has an X5. I had a 328i. I highly not recommend getting anything above 100k. If I get another german car, I would lease it & wipe my hands clean after 4yrs

Sent from my tablet using my paws

Don't just walk..... RUN away from this deal.

Ok why? My buddy is replacing his car and has had this thing for a few years. No issues to speak of and I do trust him. The price is his wholesale trade in value plus the tax to even out his trade value against a new car (GTI)

My experience with bmws? Anything after 100k starts to need work. New rad, thermostat, waterpump (entire cooling system). Electrical engine issues ; new crankshaft sensors, O2 sensors, etc. Keep an eye for control arms, you have to replace the whole arm not just balljoints. Look at valve cover gaskets.

My gf's family has a 528i & my bro has an X5. I had a 328i. I highly not recommend getting anything above 100k. If I get another german car, I would lease it & wipe my hands clean after 4yrs

Ah ok I remember you mentioning issues with your 3 series. Thanks for the explanation.

Ok why? My buddy is replacing his car and has had this thing for a few years. No issues to speak of and I do trust him. The price is his wholesale trade in value plus the tax to even out his trade value against a new car (GTI)

Reasons :

1) its a pathetic 1 series
2) its an automatic
3) its got high mileage
4) you will get raped on parts
5) $16g's is insane for this car
6) it only gets 17mpg

Last edited:
Until recently I hadn't really noticed them too often, but I've been getting in to the car thing this past summer (I'm restoring and modifying an 87 trans am) and have noticed they are all over the place. See a couple every week... And like I said, nobody knows about them so they are a sleeper. It will put those smug BMW drivers in their place.
Im headed in the "sleeper" direction with my car, so the next dude in a porsche that wants to feel good picking on a worn down 140hp 5.0 gets a little surprise.

Lol until you hit a corner then NA cars turn like boats.

I drive a slow merc and I could care less if someone passes me going straight.

Ah ok I remember you mentioning issues with your 3 series. Thanks for the explanation.

Another issue to look out for is SMG transmission. They're a weak link

Reasons :

1) its a pathetic 1 series
2) its an automatic
3) its got high mileage
4) you will get raped on parts
5) $16g's is insane for this car
6) it only gets 17mpg

Alright...
1. Don't feel its pathetic but ok
2. And? I'd prefer a manual but it is what it is
3. Yes this worries me
4. Most definitely
5. What's a fair price to you?
6. No it doesn't.

I'm still going to do some more research but there are a lot of documented issues with that car so might end up passing. Dammit!

my company has a thing for BMW, older 540, 2013 750, 2012 338 and now an X5 diesel in the stable. Yes they are expensive to maintain and Budds has made a great living out of these cars. But lots of high end cars cost money to operate. Mom's porche was 5k for brakes at the dealer.

If its a second car, and you can find a NON dealer to do service there is nothing wrong with German cars. and there are lots of non BMW OEM parts available.

Style and fun costs money, you dont buy a Benz or Bimmer for economical transport.

Well right now I got a nice little surprise that my wife's insurance may be VERY high due to her not being a long term driver, so we'll see what insurance says because if I need to pay $4k for her (Kanetix) on my Elantra...I'll be searching for something less than 10k instead of 20k!

Back
Top Bottom