PIA bikes to work on | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

PIA bikes to work on

What does removing the upper front motor mount brackets have to do with "tilting the engine ",the motor still won't budge.Their are bolts in the rear holding it in place.You may have owned one but with that comment I can tell you have never done any extensive work on one(nothing personal btw but it is what it is) removing the engine etc.

This guy!!

I own an 04 and an 05 which are pretty much identical. The 04 I have stripped to the bones,lol(don't know why that seems funny to me:) and re assembled, put a factory pro shift kit in my 04 , now that was a pita especially after I stripped the clutch basket nut trying to McGyver a socket that was too big , lol, That was a fml moment for sure

Oops, my bad,shouldn't outshine the master, the arrogance of some people on this board is comical

What does removing the upper front motor mount brackets have to do with "tilting the engine ",the motor still won't budge.Their are bolts in the rear holding it in place.You may have owned one but with that comment I can tell you have never done any extensive work on one(nothing personal btw but it is what it is) removing the engine etc.

Apparently **** all about this bike but hey you race in CSBK so you KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING right ? Frat boys unite we have a new king

Oops, my bad,shouldn't outshine the master, the arrogance of some people on this board is comical

Well aren't you a treat.

I've never touched the bike according to you. Well there was that one time I swapped the frame on my 04 when it cracked (I suggest you check yours, it's a common issue). I think that qualifies as "tearing it down" but it was several years ago. I don't really recall exactly how I pulled the coils off when I adjusted the valve clearance which may have been before or after the swap. I know I didn't rotate the motor (yes there are 2 through bolts
on the back of the motor, like almost every modern sport bike in which one would have to be removed to tilt it. That I didn't do).

No no need to be a ******. You started it with assuming I've never done anything extensive on that bike. And buy some tools so you don't butcher anymore nuts. It'll make your life easier.

Well aren't you a treat.

I've never touched the bike according to you. Well there was that one time I swapped the frame on my 04 when it cracked (I suggest you check yours, it's a common issue). I think that qualifies as "tearing it down" but it was several years ago. I don't really recall exactly how I pulled the coils off when I adjusted the valve clearance which may have been before or after the swap. I know I didn't rotate the motor (yes there are 2 through bolts
on the back of the motor, like almost every modern sport bike in which one would have to be removed to tilt it. That I didn't do).

No no need to be a ******. You started it with assuming I've never done anything extensive on that bike. And buy some tools so you don't butcher anymore nuts. It'll make your life easier.

Rock on witcha funky self dicked, sorry couldn't help my self

Who to trust? The guy whose race bikes are clean enough to eat off of, or the guy who "stripped the clutch basket nut trying to McGyver a socket that was too big". That's a tough one.[/QUOTE

Who to trust? I'm not trying to sway anybody opinions here about me or your buddy.I don't care what people on this board think of me good,bad or otherwise.
Anybody who has ever worked on any kind of machinery has ****ed something up ,and actually I admitted to that in an effort to make Dricked feel like he wasn't being "called out " anyways at the end of the day it doesn't matter....

Last edited:
Geez man , do you guys really think I'm the devil or something,lol,man I originally came on this board years ago to genuinely try to help people out in the tech section because I thought I could contribute to something I thought was positive. Their were people hosting a lot of rides back then.Unfortunately I ended up on the wrong side of "the hierarchy"(that's just what I call it) and things didn't work out the way I planned,anyways I'll drop the Facebook soccer mom stuff now, lol, keep it real guys, ride safe, peace out !

Oh, how wrong you are about dricked ...

Tilting the engine down - by removing a WHOLE bunch of other stuff - would be another way to get enough clearance to get that ignition coil out. Or you can leave the engine in position and just unbolt the piece of the upper engine mount that bolts to the frame. (The engine stays in place - it's just that bracket that's in the way.) That's the "factory service manual" method of removing that ignition coil to get to the left spark plug. If you're tearing apart the whole bike anyway, it's irrelevant that the engine mount bracket is in the way of removing that ignition coil when the engine is in the bike in its normal position. It's possible that bending the ignition coil could get it out past that engine mount bracket ... I wasn't willing to try that.

I replaced a blown head gasket in a ZX9R by tilting the engine down (removing all engine mounts except the lower rear one) to get enough clearance to remove the cylinder head. With the engine in place, there's not enough clearance to lift the head off. Granted, if you are at that point, it's not much more work to take the engine out completely ... but then you have to hoist it back in place and line everything up.

Oh, how wrong you are about dricked ...

Tilting the engine down - by removing a WHOLE bunch of other stuff - would be another way to get enough clearance to get that ignition coil out. Or you can leave the engine in position and just unbolt the piece of the upper engine mount that bolts to the frame. (The engine stays in place - it's just that bracket that's in the way.) That's the "factory service manual" method of removing that ignition coil to get to the left spark plug. If you're tearing apart the whole bike anyway, it's irrelevant that the engine mount bracket is in the way of removing that ignition coil when the engine is in the bike in its normal position. It's possible that bending the ignition coil could get it out past that engine mount bracket ... I wasn't willing to try that.

I replaced a blown head gasket in a ZX9R by tilting the engine down (removing all engine mounts except the lower rear one) to get enough clearance to remove the cylinder head. With the engine in place, there's not enough clearance to lift the head off. Granted, if you are at that point, it's not much more work to take the engine out completely ... but then you have to hoist it back in place and line everything up.

I must have removed that bracket. I probably did anyway to get enough room to work/see cam marks when doing the valve clearances.

Somebody's getting unhinged. Good GTAM pleasure in this one.

On the subject of gen 1 ZX10R ... The procedure for getting the airbox either in or out of the bike has befuddled many a person who hasn't read or understood the factory service manual.

Easy, if you know the trick. Impossible, otherwise!

All these PIA stories make me thankful for my SV650. Seems like a piece of cake to work on compared to the ones I'm reading here!

Mine's not too bad....it's the bodywork that makes it a PIA.
650R was easy to work on. Even the front end body work all came off as one piece including the headlights from what I remember.

On the subject of gen 1 ZX10R ... The procedure for getting the airbox either in or out of the bike has befuddled many a person who hasn't read or understood the factory service manual.

6' prybar never let me down.

I have crystal clear memories of attempting that job before reading the service manual.

Back
Top Bottom