Perseids Meteor Shower Watch - SUN AUG 11th ( Weather Permitting) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Perseids Meteor Shower Watch - SUN AUG 11th ( Weather Permitting)

kick0831

Hello Everyone,

Every year there are 2 sets of spectacular meteor showers that can be seen from right here in Canada. One is in July called Delta Aquarids and the other one is called Perseids which takes place in Aug. This year Perseids is peaking on the night of Aug 11. Understandably, this shower needs to watched during night time and many of you have work on Monday but try to make it out anyway. We will be riding about 2 hours north of Toronto which is beyond lake simcoe. The place is called Torrance Dark Sky Preserve.

The place is real wilderness.Bring bug spray, water, food, snacks, binoculars etc. Whatever else you find fit. You will def need a back pack or a tang bag as this is no short ride and far from the kind of civilization us Torontonians are used to.

I'm not sure how many people to expect for this ride but I am certainly not capping it. We are not going on a track so we are going on a relaxed pace. All bikes welcome except 125s since we are going on the highway.

If you are interested please just reply to the post so I can have an idea as to what to expect in terms of numbers.

DATE : AUG 11, 2013
MEETUP : BATHURST AND RUTHERFORD TIM HORTONS
MEET UP TIME : 8:00pm
DEPARTURE : 9:00pm
DISTANCE : 148 km

small 10 min break on the way up and back

We will stay there for about an hour maybe a little more but less than 2 hours. So expect to be back at the Bathurst and Rutherford Tim Hortons by around 2 am.

It will be a spectacular sight even if we do not see any shooting stars because the night sky with no light pollution is absolutely gorgeous.

MOST IMPORTANTLY COME GASSED UP!!!!!
Kartik

Might be good to let everyone know that Dark Sky Res is on Southwood Rd. Ride with care at night.

My bake yard is dark enough to see this ;)
However this still sounds like an interesting little event, I think I may be in for this :).
I'm assuming the 400 on the way up? If I come I will join group as you pass Barrie.

Not sure if you are aware but the Huntsville Observatory and the local astronomy club usually host an event there during the Perseids. They'll have some optic equipment there to share but you might want to give them a heads up if you end up with several riders heading their way. And remember to keep it down when arriving ;).

My bake yard is dark enough to see this ;)
However this still sounds like an interesting little event, I think I may be in for this :).
I'm assuming the 400 on the way up? If I come I will join group as you pass Barrie.

http://goo.gl/maps/eNyjK

thats a link to the route we will be taking! So we can meet up somewhere right off the 400.

Will keep an eye on this thread. Never seen a meteor shower

Just ran southwood.
It's in as good a condition as I've seen it in a few years but still some sand and gravel thu some corners.
The flatlands are in great condition no sand they there so boogie thru.

Okay Everybody,

Radar is checked, we are in the clear. MAYBE some clouds but it says mainly clear. So we are a GO.

Again, we are departing at 9pm SHARP!!! so try and get there ASAP we will be near the Tim Hortons at BATHURST AND RUTHERFORD!!

See you all there!

COME GASSED UP!!

Okay Everybody,

Radar is checked, we are in the clear. MAYBE some clouds but it says mainly clear. So we are a GO.

Again, we are departing at 9pm SHARP!!! so try and get there ASAP we will be near the Tim Hortons at BATHURST AND RUTHERFORD!!

See you all there!

COME GASSED UP!!

just saw this, leaving Scarborough now, prob be 5 min late

Did you pass a car parked on the shoulder on 13 with a guy in the driver seat and a girl on the roof. Because that was me in the driver seat. Got the idea to go up there from here and it was worth it. Just got home

Did you pass a car parked on the shoulder on 13 with a guy in the driver seat and a girl on the roof. Because that was me in the driver seat. Got the idea to go up there from here and it was worth it. Just got home

Haha yeah we did :p

We got so lost and decided to just hang out on the side of the road. Where was this place you guys went, we drove down south wood then went down Haley road and were completely lost

Back
Top Bottom