Parry Sound Sport Bike Rally! Use it or lose it!!!! | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Parry Sound Sport Bike Rally! Use it or lose it!!!!

One more thing -> It was refreshing to see drivers and riders not being AFRAID of the police in Southern France. I even passed a cop car at a bit over the speed limit and the bus in front of him and had no worries doing so. They are looking out for people who are causing trouble or riding/driving dangerously.... not someone going a tad over the limit. Here people are scared of the police. One time I passed a cop who was clogging the crap out of the QEW at 105 on the right lane, because he was in the left and got pulled over. Of course I didn't get a ticket, but what kind of an EGO does this individual have that NO ONE CAN PASS ME.... even though he is creating a giant cluster Foo.... behind him? I think things would improve if the politicians stopped pressing police departments for money and if the insurance companies were not allowed to essentially bribe police departments with free radar equipment etc. Let the cops pick out the truly bad apples.... stop with quotas... work on lane positioning and paying attention.... that would make the roads safer.

I too have been pulled over for slowly passing a police car. On the 403. He passed me. I had my cruise set at 101 kmh. Then he pulled in front of me, and slowed to 90ish. I shoulder checked, and signaled left, and passed him, without ever touching the accelerator. Left the cruise at 100 kmh, and then was pulled over and given a screaming mad lecture as to how I could be charged for obstructing the police officer from doing his job, as he was running the plates of the car in front of me. I told him if he can't type on his PC and maintain a safe speed without creating a rolling roadblack hazard, he should pull over before typing. He lost his mind and started screaming at me that I am to NEVER NEVER pass any police officer for any reason. I wanted to stay and fight but we were late for a family function and my wife wanted me to let it go. I rolled up the window and just drove away.

If skill level is the problem, and I do think it is one of them, why do we settle for mediocrity? Why make speed limits so low that people often don't pay attention to them anyways? That means that it doesn't matter what the skill level is because people regardless of skill level don't pay attention to the speed limits.

This is one of those debates that could go on forever. :) But I think the root cause is the lax attitudes of driving schools and the MTO's toothless and ineffectual "control" over them. When people aren't properly instructed when they learn how to drive - and that starts with planting it in their heads the concept that driving is a privilege, not a right - then they will, as a group, be barely adequate in skill level and ability to pilot any vehicle at any speed. I think this is mostly the reason why the speed limits are so low in our province; people can barely handle their vehicles at 100kmh on a 400 series highway because they simply don't know how to drive properly. And while current traffic flow on the 401 usually averages around 110-120kmh, if the limit was raised to 120kmh we would see an average increase in flow to 130-140kmh, which I think, would result in higher accident rates.

Driving is a right, not a privilage. If someone's met all the pertinent criteria no agency has the power to deny the right to drive.

ow can Joe Pulic be expected to be a truly ood driver when Ontario's finest can' even manage to drive in the proper lae while cruisin don the 401.

This is one of those debates that could go on forever. :) But I think the root cause is the lax attitudes of driving schools and the MTO's toothless and ineffectual "control" over them. When people aren't properly instructed when they learn how to drive - and that starts with planting it in their heads the concept that driving is a privilege, not a right - then they will, as a group, be barely adequate in skill level and ability to pilot any vehicle at any speed. I think this is mostly the reason why the speed limits are so low in our province; people can barely handle their vehicles at 100kmh on a 400 series highway because they simply don't know how to drive properly. And while current traffic flow on the 401 usually averages around 110-120kmh, if the limit was raised to 120kmh we would see an average increase in flow to 130-140kmh, which I think, would result in higher accident rates.

Sorry for derailing your thread dude.

The thing is.... those folks that don't know how to drive are often doing 130kph on the roads now anyway. At least if you bump it up to 120 it will give a reason for the left lane hogs to either get out of the way or go a bit closer to the average speed of that lane.... which it is at least 120 nowadays.

Plus there is no reason why the speeds would increase. Just keep the same penalties for going 130 and up as they are now. Why would anyone who doesn't go 130 now, speed in the future if the penalties don't change for that given speed?

At least if you bump it up to 120 it will give a reason for the left lane hogs to either get out of the way or go a bit closer to the average speed of that lane.... which it is at least 120 nowadays.

Which will annoy the hell out of those who are now trying to cruise at 140 in the left lane, so really there is no gain at all. Left lane bandits will always be there, regardless of the posted speed limit.

But if as you say the penalties would remain the same... well, I still don't think it would have a positive effect overall. I still say that raising the speed limit is not going to raise the skill level of the average driver - we'll still have the same problems out there, only they'll be moving faster.

To highjack a highjack.......an interesting read. I'll just post the link to the condensed version. It's US based but, I believe it's relevant to the concerns that are mentioned over raising speed limits. Basically, little to no change to driving behavior.

http://www.ibiblio.org/rdu/sl-irrel.html

Last edited:
Dont sweat it man. Most people on this site confuse rights and privilege.

The Germans have the autobahn where in places you can travel as fast as you want....what is the problem here?
Maybe...they are better trained for driving and standards are higher
Roads are maintained for such speeds
They actually enforce rules of the hwy...like no passing on the right or when passing on the left you return to the centre lanes.
Vehicles are held to a higher standard of maintenance
Penalties are more severe

I have driven as I'm sure many of you have on the autobahn....what a great experience and pleasure

The Germans have the autobahn where in places you can travel as fast as you want....what is the problem here?
Maybe...they are better trained for driving and standards are higher
Roads are maintained for such speeds
They actually enforce rules of the hwy...like no passing on the right or when passing on the left you return to the centre lanes.
Vehicles are held to a higher standard of maintenance
Penalties are more severe

I have driven as I'm sure many of you have on the autobahn....what a great experience and pleasure

You answered your own question here. I'm pretty sure many drivers in Ontario wouldn't pass driving tests as administered in European countries so instead we have a very mediocre set of drivers in this country as the average. You simply can't allow lazy drivers the luxury of being able to drive that fast if they aren't capable of looking out for themselves AND OTHER DRIVERS at the lower speeds we travel at now. I put the last point in capitals because selfishness is the biggest problem I see on the roads.

Can you back that up?

...sure...you wouldn't need a licence to drive if you had a god given right to. Your licence (ie legal permission or privelage) can be revoked (ie permission removed or privelage removed) by a third party for many reasons including medical or criminal.

...sure...you wouldn't need a licence to drive if you had a god given right to. Your licence (ie legal permission or privelage) can be revoked (ie permission removed or privelage removed) by a third party for many reasons including medical or criminal.

????? "Most people on this site confuse rights and privilege." The question was "Can you back that up"? I don't know what you're on about.

If people are "afriad" to go to a sport bike rally cause they wont be able to ride oustside the law, then i say screw them. The gig will be better off without them. If the venue is apropiate. People can camp. Maybe live music, and people can stroll around a bit with a beer in their hand and hang with their buddies, it will be a success.

Idiots will ride drunk. Maybe get busted. Someone will smoke a joint in front of the wrong person and get busted. Maybe.

Standard biker event.

Putting it downtown under everyones noses was a mistake. The fairground is the way to go.

Walking around with a beer in your hand is outside the law too. You want leniency just as everyone else. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom