Operating a restricted scooter | GTAMotorcycle.com

Operating a restricted scooter

TK4

A young friend of mine has an opportunity to get a Honda 50cc Spree scooter (really clean and runs well).
From what I can determine we'll have to get a safety, UVIP and insurance then we can get it licenced with a 'green' plate.
For her to ride it, she'll need to pass the M1 written and then get her M2-L which will allow her to ride for 5 years, no M2 exit to full M required.
Have I missed anything ?
The MTO website seems pretty vague.

(After all that comes the expansion chamber and clutch upgrade) ;) ;) ;)

I would assume you have to go through the same process as a full size motorcycle.
Does the M2-L go beyond the 5 years or does she just want to get into this for a short period of time?

I would assume you have to go through the same process as a full size motorcycle.
Does the M2-L go beyond the 5 years or does she just want to get into this for a short period of time?
That's where it's vague. Because the machine is restricted to 60kmh riding on the M2-L for the full 5 years seems perfectly acceptable.
I guess after that you'll have to take the L test over again or move up to full M.
I'll assume at sometime within those 5 years she'll make the decision, but that's way off in the future for right now.
The idea is to get her on the road before the end of the summer.

A young friend of mine has an opportunity to get a Honda 50cc Spree scooter (really clean and runs well).
From what I can determine we'll have to get a safety, UVIP and insurance then we can get it licenced with a 'green' plate.
For her to ride it, she'll need to pass the M1 written and then get her M2-L which will allow her to ride for 5 years, no M2 exit to full M required.
Have I missed anything ?

Be careful with the clutch upgrade. If you have a manual clutch, it may no longer be a legal LSM and you are opening up the expensive traffic stop.

EDIT:
It looks like M2L expires in 5 years. You retake M1X test every five years to maintain it or get a bigger bike and take M1X and M2X road tests to get a perpetual M.

"If your M2, M2-L or M2-M licence expires before you take your final road test, taking your level-one road test (M1) again will give you another five years as an M2 to finish the learning process. If you fail the M1 this time, you will lose your M2 licence and you will need to re-apply for your M1 licence. To get back to M2, you will need to pass your M1 knowledge test and M1 road test before that licence expires."

Last edited:
Be careful with the clutch upgrade. If you have a manual clutch, it may no longer be a legal LSM and you are opening up the expensive traffic stop.
It's a 50cc step through with a centrifugal clutch - it qualifies as a limited speed motorcycle.
Like this:

Attachments

• spree.jpg
    spree.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 6
It's a 50cc step through with a centrifugal clutch - it qualifies as a limited speed motorcycle.
Like this:
I was more referring to the upgrade. I wasn't sure if you were just changing to a centrifugal clutch that was better or if you were planning on manual clutch. Manual clutch is greyer as LSM is automatic only.

That's where it's vague. Because the machine is restricted to 60kmh riding on the M2-L for the full 5 years seems perfectly acceptable.
I guess after that you'll have to take the L test over again or move up to full M.
I'll assume at sometime within those 5 years she'll make the decision, but that's way off in the future for right now.
The idea is to get her on the road before the end of the summer.
I guess it would be best just to get the full M?
That way she can ride anything she wishes and the licensing is done and over with.

I guess it would be best just to get the full M?
That way she can ride anything she wishes and the licensing is done and over with.
Except she can't use that bike for M1X or M2X. I always encourage people to get M2X done asap but if they don't have a suitable bike, that's out of reach for now.

Except she can't use that bike for M1X or M2X. I always encourage people to get M2X done asap but if they don't have a suitable bike, that's out of reach for now.
Yes, good point and I know that. But she knows @TK4 so perhaps a loaner down the road?

Yes, good point and I know that. But she knows @TK4 so perhaps a loaner down the road?
M1X course using their bikes to get you a full M2 makes sense to me. Some learning, some insurance savings and an easy path to M in the future if you want. More money now though and I'm not sure how much insurance saving there is on LSM.

I was more referring to the upgrade. I wasn't sure if you were just changing to a centrifugal clutch that was better or if you were planning on manual clutch. Manual clutch is greyer as LSM is automatic only.
It would be upgrading the centrifugal clutch only.

M1X course using their bikes to get you a full M2 makes sense to me. Some learning, some insurance savings and an easy path to M in the future if you want. More money now though and I'm not sure how much insurance saving there is on LSM.
It's a 1984 machine, insurance is cheap as chips.

Have I missed anything ?

I bought a Yamaha QT50 50CC LSM last year, the local SO offices treated it like a moped and transferred it FIT, it did not require a safety or UVIP.

Rider needs an M1 or better, the scooter must be insured, and it gets a regular motorcycle plate.

I would advise all riders to get their M2 through a course. A crash at 40kmh on LSM hurts about the same as a M.

I bought a Yamaha QT50 50CC LSM last year, the local SO offices treated it like a moped and transferred it FIT, it did not require a safety or UVIP.

Rider needs an M1 or better, the scooter must be insured, and it gets a regular motorcycle plate.
I thought lsms had special green plates? Is ownership lsm or motorcycle?

Good to know.

I have a sym mio 50cc with BC plates sitting in my garage for the past 10+ years

I thought lsms had special green plates? Is ownership lsm or motorcycle?
Turns out you are correct ... almost. Lsm are green, mine should have been red for moped/noped type. I brought my own blue plate, so it was either a mistake or they are not fussy.

Have I missed anything ?

Just how young is the lady and will alcohol come into the picture?

It is my understanding that a driver / rider has one license with various endorsements. I have a G with an M, used to have an A with an M. It is also my understanding that unless one has a full M or D, Blood Alcohol Level must be zero. If you blow over zero and you are riding with a restricted license you lose your licence, not just the M-1, M-2 M2-L etc. You don't have to blow 0.08. A sip of wine could do the rider in.

If I am correct that could mean loss of a G licence needed for work, school etc.

Confirm?

Back
Top Bottom