Ontario is no longer the place to prosper | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Ontario is no longer the place to prosper

I hate to always come in as the contrarian, with no real evidence to boot, but I'm going to have to take issue with the first part of your statement. I took KO's financial savviness as a given from first seeing him on Dragons Den and of hearing a bit about his backstory. Additionally, my buddy went to one of KO's seminars and has the highest regard for him. But here's the thing. I read a piece on KO (it might have been a hit piece?) where it scrutinized his career post multiple billion $ sale of his business and there is nothing particularly stellar about it. Is he a smart man? Hell of a lot smarter than I'll ever be but I don't think his warped sense of reality, based on the crap he spewed on Lang and O'Leary, is good for society at large.

Agreed - O'Leary funds tanked & SoftKey/TLC were a disaster.

It's interesting how everyone complains about their leaders yet how many of you actually get out there and promote and support grass roots candidate...people that you see have integrity. How many of you give money and join their campaign. Probably about 2%. Most people just want to sit back, complain, and wait for someone else to do it. Well the someone else you are waiting for can't compete with the machines behind the other ppl you end up with as your leaders.

I'll take KO over Wynne any day.

IDK, I thought Hitler was pretty entertaining.

Well, please don't take this the wrong way but there are 6 million people buried in Europe that would probably disagree with you.

The man was a monster. O'Leary is an bit of a loud mouth.

It's interesting how everyone complains about their leaders yet how many of you actually get out there and promote and support grass roots candidate...people that you see have integrity. How many of you give money and join their campaign. Probably about 2%. Most people just want to sit back, complain, and wait for someone else to do it. Well the someone else you are waiting for can't compete with the machines behind the other ppl you end up with as your leaders.

I'll take KO over Wynne any day.

I agree. I helped in the last 3 provincial elections when I lived in Kits as part of David Eby's campaign. I found it very rewarding.

It's a little despairing when you see the issues facing the GTA and then the 22% voter turnout in the recent by-election in Whitby :(

While im not saying O'leary is hitler cause he isnt he's a pretty harmless guy playing up a bit for the coverage but

There are litteraly early ariticles saying that hitler was just a loud mouth and other dismissive things from his early start politics.

Agreed - O'Leary funds tanked & SoftKey/TLC were a disaster.

The whole "Jewel Case" market tanked in the early 2000's when Gen3 gaming and consoles became available. Its wasn't just Softkey... Spinnaker, Broderbund, Sinister... How many survived.

I have a bunch of Broderbund and Softkey CD's sitting on a shelf that my Kids used to play :)

As stated before O'leary's financial dealings aren't what he makes them be. I would not invest money or time in him, you have a better return with the lotto. On shark tank/dragons den, o'leary never made any deals unless he was the only winner, he would not make a fair deal that would benefit all parties and a number of the deals the inventor didn't get what was agreed upon. I remember some deals went along the lines of "You give me X percentage of your company and I will LOAN you Y dollars, X being a significant amount" basically giving him part ownership for a loan, not even the banks screw you over that much.

As for trump, How many times has he declared bankruptcy screwing investors in the process?

The whole "Jewel Case" market tanked in the early 2000's when Gen3 gaming and consoles became available. Its wasn't just Softkey... Spinnaker, Broderbund, Sinister... How many survived.

I have a bunch of Broderbund and Softkey CD's sitting on a shelf that my Kids used to play :)
Thing is softkey was in trouble before being sold and o'leary knowingly misrepresented the company being sold. Kind of like a shady car salesman.

Well, please don't take this the wrong way but there are 6 million people buried in Europe that would probably disagree with you.

Europe? I only know him from youtube fame.

As stated before O'leary's financial dealings aren't what he makes them be. I would not invest money or time in him, you have a better return with the lotto. On shark tank/dragons den, o'leary never made any deals unless he was the only winner, he would not make a fair deal that would benefit all parties and a number of the deals the inventor didn't get what was agreed upon. I remember some deals went along the lines of "You give me X percentage of your company and I will LOAN you Y dollars, X being a significant amount" basically giving him part ownership for a loan, not even the banks screw you over that much.

As for trump, How many times has he declared bankruptcy screwing investors in the process?

Ever tried to go to a bank for funding when starting or growing a new business?
Private/angel investors exist because of how hard it is to get funding from the banks.
Kevin's offers that he makes on TV... are not that out of line with what private investors will offer.
I am going through that process right now... not easy.

I had a fairly lengthy conversation with one of the ex-dragons last night.. and this morning. Amazing experience.. I believe I learned more about business during an hour of conversation with that person... than I ever did from any teacher I ever had.

Private/angel investors exist because of how hard it is to get funding from the banks.
Kevin's offers that he makes on TV... are not that out of line with what private investors will offer.

Is your business proven viable and making money right now? That seemed to be KO's criteria. He only wanted a surefire investment and rape you while you slave away for him including publicly showing how he squeezed your head like a pimple because, let's not forget, you're the cockroach not him.

Clowns are entertaining but at the same time scare a portion of the population. Trump and O Leary are clowns in the traditional sense, entertainers. Wynne is a clown in a less literal sense and I fear Trudeau is becoming one with grand photo ops and conveniently ignoring Saudia . Unfortunately we are in an era of the cult of celebrity and a bit like the other thread going on...when you opt for celebrity don't be surprised when you get Kanye West.

I agree a bit with O leary. With the carbon tax we would need a report to see where the funding is going.

I agree a bit with O leary. With the carbon tax we would need a report to see where the funding is going.

That letter was good, agreed with all of it as I recall. Doesn't change who Oleary is.

I had a fairly lengthy conversation with one of the ex-dragons last night.. and this morning. Amazing experience.. I believe I learned more about business during an hour of conversation with that person... than I ever did from any teacher I ever had.

He wouldn't make any deals where other dragons got a fair shake either. He had to "win" and others had to "lose". He took less risks than banks will. I've borrowed 20k with no collateral and got a better deal from the bank than I would from him.

Thing is softkey was in trouble before being sold and o'leary knowingly misrepresented the company being sold. Kind of like a shady car salesman.

The "Jewel Case" model was always stop gap. It was basically a bunch of university students of programmers that created the programs in their spare time.

Softkey, Broderbund, Sinister, etc. just burnt them to CD's and distributed it to computer stores and took 40%. O'Leary had a distribution company. He never owned the rights.

When I was going to school a bunch of us did Koshan, Falcon AT and the ever popular Lotto Prophet - People actually paid $4.99 for something that generated 6 random numbers.

The actually money was always in the rights that none of these guys owned. My friend was one of the developers of the original Earthworm Jim. The rights for this were acquired by Sega and Sega had Shiny Entertainment build out a proper game for the Sega Console. That's what killed the jewel case market. There was no way a 486 processor could compete.

Softkey was bough by UBISoft as a channel to burn and distribute CD's, however UBISoft made their actual money by acquiring rights and then providing Catalog as a Service for Xbox, Nintendo and PSx. Yves was a smart guy.

Unfortunately there are not a lot of CD's around. UBISoft still do some CD distribution but its for things like Netfile

Last edited:
He wouldn't make any deals where other dragons got a fair shake either. He had to "win" and others had to "lose". He took less risks than banks will. I've borrowed 20k with no collateral and got a better deal from the bank than I would from him.

The ex-dragon I spoke to... had a bit to say regarding other dragons not closing the deals they made on TV.

Most, if not all, new business owners have exhausted all their available bank options before turning to private lenders. Some times, they need more than the bank is willing to look at.
20K unsecured is easy with an income... try going to your bank, with no income (your new business wont be considered) and asking for 300K unsecured.
As said... I am currently going through this. I am talking to private investors as I don't want to have to continuously beg the bank when, and every time, I need more funding. Not to mention... at the retail level (the folks in the branches) have little idea about business, investing, etc... they're product pushers... most know very little about anything other than what they're told to sell. The commercial side is a whole different game.. unfortunately for us... we're not quite there yet.
So... I can take 250K from a bank right now... but when we need more in 2-3 months... it is unlikely the bank will extend to us further at that point. By utilizing a private investor... Yes, I will pay more for it... but there is no limit on how much I can get from the private guy... as long as the business supports it. Oh... and the support, knowledge and mentoring that can come with the private investor... is also worth something.

Is your business proven viable and making money right now? That seemed to be KO's criteria. He only wanted a surefire investment and rape you while you slave away for him including publicly showing how he squeezed your head like a pimple because, let's not forget, you're the cockroach not him.

Business did a mil in year 1. Will do double that, or more, in year 2. With proper funding, it will do 9mil+ in year 4.
Structured in a way that allows us to insure invested monies... including returns.
We do have something here.

Last edited:

The man was a monster.

A few years ago we toured Auschwitz. Nothing prepared me for that and nothing has ever touched me so deeply in my life. I literally could not speak.

This POS was not like O'Leary, Trump or anyone in or else seeking political office in the US or Canada today. This "thing" was pure evil.

The thing that haunts me is the pictures of flesh covered skeletons, their eyeballs protruding from their skulls waiting around to burned in the ovens, and the children and infants that were simply thrown onto the fire when still alive.

If you ever have the chance to go there it will certainly change your perspective on what human suffering and pure evil actually is. It should be a required school trip for teenager.

Business did a mil in year 1. Will do double that, or more, in year 2. With proper funding, it will do 9mil+ in year 4.
Structured in a way that allows us to insure invested monies... including returns.
We do have something here.

Excellent. You'd be a prime candidate for Dragons Den. Mr. Wonderful will make sure you understand your valuation is INSANE (and that you're a cockroach) and then offer you a few sheckles for half the business while what's her name alternates between ripping Kevin a new one and almost bursting into tears. I understand business is a tough row to hoe.

Back
Top Bottom