Online Store for Survival/Outdoor gear? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Online Store for Survival/Outdoor gear?

What are your thoughts on rock-climbing harnesses? Are those 50 dollar ones honestly good enough? I don't really care much for comfort as I have a high threshold for discomfort/pain.

Also, I climb in Vibrams and people always stare at me, but I just can't make the switch over to rock-climbing shoes. Aside from the whole getting your toes caught in cracks and stuff, is it really that bad of an idea? I would basically have to give up running altogether just to be able to use rock climbing shoes

Also, this is a wicked thread. I honestly wish I was as outdoorsy as you guys...

Most harnesses are in the 50-70+ range. I have a Petzl Hirundos. I like harnesses that don't have adjustable leg loops. Less headache/lighter/quicker on off. There's plenty of good harnesses at $50, just dont get an ebay no name.

Climb in whatever you want, but rock climbing shoes make things a LOT easier. Why do you think you have to give up running?

Thanks!

Vibrams spread your toes and rock climbing shoes bunch them up. I'm so accustomed to vibrams that when I tried using rock climbing shoes, my whole leg cramped. I gave it a couple of tries and it just won't work. If I really wanted to commit to it, I suppose I could size up with rock climbing shoes and slowly train myself by going smaller and smaller...but vibrams fixed my lower back/gave my flat feet an arch so I'm not sure I'd be willing to give that up.

By the way, what do you think is the best climbing/most well-rounded gym in Toronto? I'm a little overwhelemed with all the choices and want to check out others before I commit to Rock Oasis.

First gym I started going to was the old rock oasis. I picked it because it had 60ft walls. I flew off my bike and blew my wrists when they moved. My favorite thing about them is the single color routes. You don't have to look for colored tape marks. I stopped rock climbing regularly. I went to their new location a few times. It's good. Staff is great and it has a sense of community.

Don't overlook European brands. I have a Mammut headlamp and its simply one of the most powerful for the price I've used. This one http://www.sierratradingpost.com/mammut-x-shot-led-headlamp~p~5181f/reviews/

the thing could guide aircraft down on the most powerful setting.

Mammut is a good brand. They sell it at Sail(.ca) here in CAN. That looks like a good headlamp. 140 lumens. Not sure if its as comfortable/versatile as the Black Diamond's with the battery pack at the rear vs the BD's with the batteries up front but maybe I'll pick one up and give it a try.

RE Rock Climbing shoes.

Im not the most avid rock climber or anything but man those shoes kill. Im a 12.5 in most shoes but with rock climbing shoes I was fitted into 10's. They jack up toes. All day. It makes me feel sorry for women that choose to wear all them funky uncomfortable shoes.

Mammut is a good brand. They sell it at Sail(.ca) here in CAN. That looks like a good headlamp. 140 lumens. Not sure if its as comfortable/versatile as the Black Diamond's with the battery pack at the rear vs the BD's with the batteries up front but maybe I'll pick one up and give it a try.

its heavy but balanced. The spot power is amazing. I was on a beach in Costa Rica at night and I was reasonably sure I was being followed so I switched the light off and waited for some noise then switched it back on again on full and swept it around and dazzled whoever it was. It was lighting everything up for bloody miles. I used it for spotting wildlife at night high up in tree canopies.

Faaak the high peaks area requires a hard plastic bear cache. I have the ursack, but i usually just hang all my stuff up high. Anyone wanna lend me tonight one of those black bear vault canisters?

Last edited:
which area of toronto are u in

Thanks!

Vibrams spread your toes and rock climbing shoes bunch them up. I'm so accustomed to vibrams that when I tried using rock climbing shoes, my whole leg cramped. I gave it a couple of tries and it just won't work. If I really wanted to commit to it, I suppose I could size up with rock climbing shoes and slowly train myself by going smaller and smaller...but vibrams fixed my lower back/gave my flat feet an arch so I'm not sure I'd be willing to give that up.

By the way, what do you think is the best climbing/most well-rounded gym in Toronto? I'm a little overwhelemed with all the choices and want to check out others before I commit to Rock Oasis.

First gym I started going to was the old rock oasis. I picked it because it had 60ft walls. I flew off my bike and blew my wrists when they moved. My favorite thing about them is the single color routes. You don't have to look for colored tape marks. I stopped rock climbing regularly. I went to their new location a few times. It's good. Staff is great and it has a sense of community.
Thanks...that's reassuring. Let me know if you get back into it. I try to go once a week and it's usually Wednesdays (anyone else who reads this is welcome, as well).

RE Rock Climbing shoes.

Im not the most avid rock climber or anything but man those shoes kill. Im a 12.5 in most shoes but with rock climbing shoes I was fitted into 10's. They jack up toes. All day. It makes me feel sorry for women that choose to wear all them funky uncomfortable shoes.
It's no wonder everyone changes into flip flops right when they unclip. I was told that your feet are supposed to be scrunched up because it helps you dig into/grip with your toe-ends. Admittedly, I'm not an expert or anything, but it makes more sense to accustom my actual toes to gripping and adjusting to different surfaces like when I go trail-running. I've also noticed that I can climb for a lot longer than most people and it's my developing grip that's limiting me as opposed to my legs/feet like a lot of people that I watch.

I was walking like I had dystonia when I tried on a pair of climbing shoes
[video=youtube;1lGQkUjOtFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lGQkUjOtFQ[/video]

which area of toronto are u in
Scarborough/downtown depending on the day. Selling a harness? :D

Thanks...that's reassuring. Let me know if you get back into it. I try to go once a week and it's usually Wednesdays (anyone else who reads this is welcome, as well).

It's no wonder everyone changes into flip flops right when they unclip. I was told that your feet are supposed to be scrunched up because it helps you dig into/grip with your toe-ends. Admittedly, I'm not an expert or anything, but it makes more sense to accustom my actual toes to gripping and adjusting to different surfaces like when I go trail-running. I've also noticed that I can climb for a lot longer than most people and it's my developing grip that's limiting me as opposed to my legs/feet like a lot of people that I watch.

I was walking like I had dystonia when I tried on a pair of climbing shoes
[video=youtube;1lGQkUjOtFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lGQkUjOtFQ[/video]

Scarborough/downtown depending on the day. Selling a harness? :D

Im not...u dont want my harness anyways its pretty used....

im a member at TCA, i like their bouldering there...if ur serious about getting into rock climbing, invest in good shoes. Forget the harness and just go bouldering lol. its what the cool kids do anyways. Get something with velcro straps

'Sup guys,

Do you have any recommendations for a 2-layer jacket that packs light and doesn't look like crap? It doesn't need to be heavy duty...just needs to be able to keep me warm during harsh falls and mild winders. Ideally, the outer shell would be a windbreaker/rainjacket that I can use in lighter weather and the inner layer would just keep me warm (I don't mind wearing a sweater under the 2 layers, as well).

I really don't know much about outdoor stuff/brands and I'm a little overwhelmed. Taking a trip to MEC, but it'd be nice to know what to look out for.

'Sup guys,

Do you have any recommendations for a 2-layer jacket that packs light and doesn't look like crap? It doesn't need to be heavy duty...just needs to be able to keep me warm during harsh falls and mild winders. Ideally, the outer shell would be a windbreaker/rainjacket that I can use in lighter weather and the inner layer would just keep me warm (I don't mind wearing a sweater under the 2 layers, as well).

I really don't know much about outdoor stuff/brands and I'm a little overwhelmed. Taking a trip to MEC, but it'd be nice to know what to look out for.

A snowboarding jacket? Mine is 2 layers. You can wear each individually

If you want top stuff avoid 2 in one. Most have mediocre fleece.

If you get a nice fleece with wind resistance it will be much more versatile. Something with a tight exterior and fluffy interior.

Throw a shell in top for rain. These days 20k + wpb prices are pretty low.

A primaloft/down vest is a nice addition for really cold days.

If you really want insulated shell that works in the city I saw some stuff from TNF(the north face).

Personally like rocking orange/green steeze in town ;)

Check out http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/stash/patagonia-testing.html

Don't think I've seen amazon.com posted yet, but they have amazing pricing. If you splurge on the PRIME membership, they usually have the cheapest/few dollars off cheapest pricing once you include shipping from other retailers. Free 3-day shipping within the states, and $3.99 next day shipping. Their knives/sleeping/tent/camping gear on the .com side is actually pretty good.

Combine outdoor gear + car mods + moto mods, and Buffalo trips to pick up toys/gear becomes so worth it and fun.

+1 to snugpak sleeping bags.

If you want top stuff avoid 2 in one. Most have mediocre fleece.

If you get a nice fleece with wind resistance it will be much more versatile. Something with a tight exterior and fluffy interior.

Throw a shell in top for rain. These days 20k + wpb prices are pretty low.

A primaloft/down vest is a nice addition for really cold days.

If you really want insulated shell that works in the city I saw some stuff from TNF(the north face).

Personally like rocking orange/green steeze in town ;)

Check out http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/stash/patagonia-testing.html
good call on avoiding 2 in 1s. I ended up caving and getting the Patagonia down-type jacket
84673_526.fpx

Now, before you guys crucify me, I managed to fit into the boys xxl so it was only $115. I can't stand how it looks but my outer layer/rain jacket/wind breaker is fox so at least its covered up and I end up just looking like a fatty with tight jeans hahaha. Should I just stick with it or do I have better options at that price point? The chick at MEC reckons that I should be good until -10C if I layer up, so that's good enough for me.

This is a good thread to ask this. Has anyone tried Baffin boots? are they any good? Their CEO offered me half off any pair they sell as an appeasement, and I was wondering if it was worth trying them out.

good call on avoiding 2 in 1s. I ended up caving and getting the Patagonia down-type jacket
Now, before you guys crucify me, I managed to fit into the boys xxl so it was only $115. I can't stand how it looks but my outer layer/rain jacket/wind breaker is fox so at least its covered up and I end up just looking like a fatty with tight jeans hahaha. Should I just stick with it or do I have better options at that price point? The chick at MEC reckons that I should be good until -10C if I layer up, so that's good enough for me.

I think a down jacket + a windproof/waterproof shell can handle most weather except for when it gets really cold. Put on a couple more layers including a fleece and you're good to go.

I got a Marmot 800 fill down jacket that can be squished and folded into one of the pockets and a First Ascent lightweight waterproof shell that can also be folded into its pocket. So, they pack very small and very light and so are good to travel with.

I figure 1 fleece, 1 down, 1 shell and you can mix and match those for most weather/termperature conditions.

Back
Top Bottom