On the way to Nova Scotia (from Toronto) Solo to the Cabot Trail. Suggestions? | GTAMotorcycle.com

On the way to Nova Scotia (from Toronto) Solo to the Cabot Trail. Suggestions?

Hey everyone,

As the title suggests I'm on the way for a solo trip to the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island.

I'm looking for suggestions of places to see, as in ride by, or stop and admire the view, waterfall, or towns to ride thru, have some great road ideas from "shanekingsley" post (thank-you).

I'm not much on leaving my packed out motorcycle (camping gear and extra fuel easily removed) sitting in a parking lot so I can go in a museum or on a river boat or see ice bergs or whales (unless it's from the coast beside my motorcycle). I'll leave those for a future trip in an RV with my wife. This is more about the ride, roads, and seeing the sights from the seat on my v-strom.

So far I'm crossing into the US at Kingston and heading to do a few legs of the North East BDR route (Backcountry Discovery Routes (BDR) Maps & Information). Riding thru Lake Placid, up Mt. Washington, taking the ferry from St John's NB to Digby and doing the east side of the Bay of Fundy on the way up to the Cabot Trail and then back thru Hopewell Rocks provincial Park and seeing the tide there and then back down the west side on the way back. All subject to change based on your input.

If anybody has any suggestions on cool places to see, restaurants, or campsites, maybe one right on the Bay of Fundy where I can watch the tides rise and fall a campsite? That would be great!

Thanks in advance

CD

I rode out to Maine some years ago and stayed in the Grafton Notch Campground, pretty close to the border of New Hampshire. It's right on the way to Cabot Trail and the owner was quite nice. Grafton Notch Campground - Maine Camping Guide

There are some nice beaches just near Truro NS along the Bay of Fundy - went swimming in there in early August and it was still cold!

Right on the Cabot Trail is a nice bakery called the Dancing Goat: THEDANCINGGOAT.CA

If you want some GPX files, I helped someone plan a trip out that way a few years ago and can send you those routes, which have a bunch of stuff in Nova Scotia and some in PEI.

Sounds like a great trip and have fun!

Yes please (GPX files), I'll be sure and stop into the dancing goat too, perfect thanks!

Grafton Notch CG is great too, I'll see if it fits around 5-6 PM for an over night.

CD

Hey everyone,

As the title suggests I'm on the way for a solo trip to the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island.

I'm looking for suggestions of places to see, as in ride by, or stop and admire the view, waterfall, or towns to ride thru, have some great road ideas from "shanekingsley" post (thank-you).

I'm not much on leaving my packed out motorcycle (camping gear and extra fuel easily removed) sitting in a parking lot so I can go in a museum or on a river boat or see ice bergs or whales (unless it's from the coast beside my motorcycle). I'll leave those for a future trip in an RV with my wife. This is more about the ride, roads, and seeing the sights from the seat on my v-strom.

So far I'm crossing into the US at Kingston and heading to do a few legs of the North East BDR route (Backcountry Discovery Routes (BDR) Maps & Information). Riding thru Lake Placid, up Mt. Washington, taking the ferry from St John's NB to Digby and doing the east side of the Bay of Fundy on the way up to the Cabot Trail and then back thru Hopewell Rocks provincial Park and seeing the tide there and then back down the west side on the way back. All subject to change based on your input.

If anybody has any suggestions on cool places to see, restaurants, or campsites, maybe one right on the Bay of Fundy where I can watch the tides rise and fall a campsite? That would be great!

Thanks in advance

CD
I last drove the Cabot Trail 12 years ago in a car. (mid July)
Nice trip but over rated in my opinion.
Got stuck behind 2 many Gold Wings wobbling around corners.
Just about any road in Nova Scotia is worth the trip (except Tran Canada)
The Adirondacs and Green Mountains are fun if you stay off the interstates.

Adirondacks-Catskills-Green Mountains 5300 km (15 days) copy.JPG

I last drove the Cabot Trail 12 years ago in a car. (mid July)
Nice trip but over rated in my opinion.
Got stuck behind 2 many Gold Wings wobbling around corners.
Just about any road in Nova Scotia is worth the trip (except Tran Canada)
The Adirondacs and Green Mountains are fun if you stay off the interstates.

View attachment 63072
Go really early in the morning. The last time I went, I went around clockwise and was in Baddeck before 8. I think I saw two vehicles on the way around. I did spend a decent portion of the lap in the clouds which made things quite slippery.

Stop in at Meat Cove and go on a whale watching run.
Oshan Whale Watch departing Bay St. Lawrence, Cabot Trail North, Cape Breton.

Spent quite a few hours with my then 9 year old daughter on that boat.
Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at Sep, 6    2023    2.49.03 PM.jpg
This used to be their spash screen - the old digital cameras were soooooo slooooow you sort of pointed and hoped. Lucky on this one, whale, faint spout and sunset aligned.1999 whale.jpg
Great narration, lots of tales. I even got a turn at the wheel.
Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at Sep, 6    2023    2.55.00 PM.jpg
I had a client out there we stayed with and after paying for a couple trips the Capt let us sail free.
Megs ready to haul in a lobster trap. The family is multigeneration working fisherman.Screen Shot 2023-09-06 at Sep, 6    2023    2.57.54 PM.jpg

There used to be a very nice restaurant at the turn to Meat Cove from the main road and there was a Titanic Museum as well.

Big time salmon fly fishery further south and the island loop takes you through the very French Cheticamp (correctly Acadian who are related to to the Cajun diaspora in Louisiana )

and then further to the verrrry Scottish St Annes
Lots of fond memories.
Take your time - there is lots to see and I'd not worry about your gear in Meat Cove or anywhere for that matter

Did the drive out there 2x and loved it each time. Highly, highly, highly (did I mention highly) recommend staying at Meat Cove for the night at the very top of the Cabot Trail. Great place, beautiful scenery, and (was) affordable at the time. Plus you could only book the day of, so that may have changed, as the owner didn't use an online booking system.
'Hey, I'll be up there tonight, you have space?'
'Yup, see you then.'

Good luck and ride safe.

My kid brother (64) lives in Nova Scotia and from what he has told me you are going at the right time of year.
Less fog and more sun as the ocean starts to warm up.
I would like to do the trip again on my V7iii Guzzi.
If you are in Northern New York and Vermont check out the covered bridges.
Some are just off the highways and can you can ride across them.

IMG_1103.JPG

IMG_1064.JPG

Built in 1887 and still in use

+1 for the Glenora Distillery. Do the tour there if you have time. Pricy but fun.
“The Red Shoe” in Mabou is partly owned by the Rankin family and along with great food and local beers they often have random musicians pop in and start playing at all hours of the day. You can also leave your bike there and walk out along the sand onto the rocks about a KM out into the ocean during low tide. Very beautiful.
St Anne’s NB is quite nice and is pretty much dead after Labour Day.
North Conway is great for any shopping supplies you could want and there’s great roads/parks near there.

Well OP if you haven't left already .....fugedaboudit.

Hurricane Lee poised to strike Atlantic Canada, but New England's still at risk​

AccuWeather meteorologists expect a high risk to lives and property from damaging winds and flooding in Nova Scotia this weekend as New England faces some direct impacts.

By Alex Sosnowski, AccuWeather senior meteorologist
Published Sep 11, 2023 12:13 PM EDT | Updated Sep 11, 2023 5:16 PM EDT

I was in nova scotia earlier this summer and did this section: 4750 NS-348 to Aulds Cove

extremely sparse roads with almost no traffic and great technical riding, though some sections have bad potholes.

I also did this section (Fourchu Road) on the eastern side of Cape Breton: 2474 NS-247 to Prime Brook

About 100 kms long with almost no traffic, all paved but some sections are pretty rough. I guess there's no point in maintaining roads in good shape when they get so little traffic.

Back
Top Bottom