Next Bike - Narrowed it down but would like opnions | GTAMotorcycle.com

Next Bike - Narrowed it down but would like opnions

Two50noob

Site Supporter
I currently ride a Katana 600. Its a great bike but as my wife and I want to go on longer trips and see more on Canada on the bike I am finding its just not up to doing what I need for 2 up (Luggage is mainly and issue). I also has a little project 400 GS that i will use as a run around.

Plus I think I am ready for something a bit bigger.

I have narrowed it down to 4 choices that i have split into 2 categories. No specific years have been chosen but i think i will go with newer used

Luxury touring - I love the look and the comfort level that these bikes provide. The luggage and storage options are great with room for lots of fancy gadgets. The trouble with them is that I am thinking as a small guy these might not be the best bikes for me to try and keep up. The Concours even among the fans is known to be top heavy at slow speeds

Honda ST1300

Kawasaki Concours

Touring (adventure) - These seem to be a little less Comfort but have great after market support for luggage and can be found used fully decked out for a fair price. Both seem to be a bit more friendly to doing your own work on them as well. These man also be a little cheaper on insurance due to the slightly lower CC

Bandit 1250 (1200)

Vstrom 1000

I think all these bikes will make a good choice for a long distance 2 Uper. With a slight edge going to the smaller Suzuki’s that I won’t be an intimidated by for taking on solo or shorter rides. What's everyone's opinion on these choices and the difference between the two styles?

Additional suggestions are welcomed at well in the sport touring category. But I’m fairly budget conscience and would like to stick with Japanese (I love Suzuki’s) but do also like the triumph ST’s

I currently ride a Katana 600. Its a great bike but as my wife and I want to go on longer trips and see more on Canada on the bike I am finding its just not up to doing what I need for 2 up (Luggage is mainly and issue). I also has a little project 400 GS that i will use as a run around.

Plus I think I am ready for something a bit bigger.

I have narrowed it down to 4 choices that i have split into 2 categories. No specific years have been chosen but i think i will go with newer used

Luxury touring - I love the look and the comfort level that these bikes provide. The luggage and storage options are great with room for lots of fancy gadgets. The trouble with them is that I am thinking as a small guy these might not be the best bikes for me to try and keep up. The Concours even among the fans is known to be top heavy at slow speeds

Honda ST1300

Kawasaki Concours

Touring (adventure) - These seem to be a little less Comfort but have great after market support for luggage and can be found used fully decked out for a fair price. Both seem to be a bit more friendly to doing your own work on them as well. These man also be a little cheaper on insurance due to the slightly lower CC

Bandit 1250 (1200)

Vstrom 1000

I think all these bikes will make a good choice for a long distance 2 Uper. With a slight edge going to the smaller Suzuki’s that I won’t be an intimidated by for taking on solo or shorter rides. What's everyone's opinion on these choices and the difference between the two styles?

Additional suggestions are welcomed at well in the sport touring category. But I’m fairly budget conscience and would like to stick with Japanese (I love Suzuki’s) but do also like the triumph ST’s

How small are you? All good choices here, why not to consider new FJR? The secret to keeping Concours upright is...ride it like a sport bike!

Im 5.6. Its not short but im just not that strong. The FJR was on my short like for a while as well its not made it of completely. When you say side it like a sport bike what do you mean?

I've demo rode all the bikes on your list.
I'd drop the Strom from the list. Same with the Concours.
Comes down to the ST1300, or the Bandit.
If you enjoy a 6 speed gearbox, you won't like the ST.
No slipper clutch either.
Very hard to see the instrument panel with the sun shining on it.
Plenty of storage on both bikes. Huge gas tank on the ST provides more than enough kms per tank.
Unlike the Gold Wing, the ST has an electric windscreen, if that's a feature you're looking for.
If you do your own simple maintenance, oil changes etc, the Bandit will make you happy. Dead nuts simple to work on.
There is a chain to take care of on the Bandit, the ST is shaft driven.
Both bikes have adequate power.
They both come with bullet proof engines.
They both handle better than I expected (especially the ST - I've owned two 1200 Bandits).
The ST runs a 160 rear tire, which I found odd.
The Bandit would be the better fit for solo trips / day trips IMO.
Tough call. I'd say it all depends on your ratio of 2 up long distance, and solo riding.

What I mean by that, is dont ride it like a Vespa! That bike is happy above 5000 rpm. I don't think Concours is a good choice for you, especially two up! Take a good look at Bandit 1250.....great bike, that does everything exceptionally well! To be honest, passenger comfort on Concours and Bandit will be the same!

At 5'6" I think the V-Strom is tall for you. I'm 6' 1/2" and I ride the 650 that sits an inch lower and I can flat foot with straight knees.

I agree - the Vstrom will be a bear and it's top heavy with luggage on. Great handling but tough for your height.

You might want to try for an ST1100 nicely rigged - bit lower and the those that use them ( cops ) preferred the ST1100.

Can't say on the Bandit.

The ST1100 is not so tall but it IS wide - even at 5' 9 I find it a bit of a handful. The 1300 I would think would be worse.

Here is a shoot out.

http://www.visordown.com/road-tests/road-test-honda-st1100-v-st1300/4736.html

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...REDUCED-1993-Honda-ST-1100-W0QQAdIdZ516378472
Pretty nice for $4k - has the toys and the motors go and go and go...

$T2eC16h,!ysE9sy0k0QCBSF4375R)w~~48_20.JPG

One of the top rated used bikes.

But you gotta see if it fits you ....seats are wide on these.

Last edited:
Thanks guys I think the concourse has been dropped of the fjr has replaced it. Sitting on one today and it pretty much fit like a glove very comfortable and didn't feel to much bigger than the kat (well if I took the bags off).

i had the same thoughts about the strom being to tall for me but I'm going to sit on one before I make a choice. Speaking to someone else who rides one (owned four) he loves them and he's not much taller than me. (Plus I find they are available at a good price.

I will look at both the St I think they might be a bit to old for me

Bandit - i toured 2 up with the 650 and the 1200/1250 will be more than enough Im 5'6" too. If insurance is no problem the Busa, Blackbird, zzr1200 or thriumph sprint will be my choice for 2 up tourer and weekend solo fun.
All bikes will accommodate Givi bags.
I tour with a CBF1000 now but still prefer the Blackbird.

Don't be afraid of the age on the ST1100s - the motors go forever - mine in Australia is 20 years old - insurance would be cheap and they pull sooooo smoothly.
Great bike for the money.

Bandit - i toured 2 up with the 650 and the 1200/1250 will be more than enough Im 5'6" too. If insurance is no problem the Busa, Blackbird, zzr1200 or thriumph sprint will be my choice for 2 up tourer and weekend solo fun.
All bikes will accommodate Givi bags.
I tour with a CBF1000 now but still prefer the Blackbird.

Due to insurance costs I have decided relook at the 650 bandit just to save some monthly costs.

I continued with my research today and yesterday. I sat on the FJR1300 05 and loves the position and overall weight and balance of the bike. But the early ones seem to have some technical issues with the valves that I would be worried about on a smaller bike.

I also got some quotes here is the break down. All of these are with TD, Clean record(except a minor accident in 02) M2, at 28 (Might decide to wait till the magic 30 before upgrading to one of the bigger machines)

05 FJR - 1872
05 VsTROM - 1546
Bandit - 1740
ST1100 - 1740
st1300 - 1872
Katana 03/04 750 - 1334

Considering the price you can get a st1100 and the fact that i would noot need to add expensive additional storage its pulling ahead slightly but I still need to sit on one and get a feel for it. But it does seem that these engines are fairly bullet proof.

Yeah some guys with 400,000 + on them.

Go to the forum and ask. http://ozstoc.com and http://www.st-owners.com/forums/

I'm 5' 9 with a short inseam and can flat foot the ST1100. Pillion looks to b comfortable.

FYI insurance on the ST1100 or any of those in Australia is $137 for the year for liability, $265 or so for dual seat. One reason I can afford to have two bikes there.

If you can figure out a topcase for this

$T2eC16dHJGoFFvsRhmeOBSOPdUFGDw~~48_20.JPG

Looks very comfy and custom seat might be lower than stock

http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...-ST-1100-IN-MINT-CONDITION-W0QQAdIdZ524747574

BTW those gray bars covered in plastic are to protect in a tip over....the slave cylinder on my clutch went just as I was trying to do a u turn on a steep road and over I went - while I had help the bike was easy to pick up even on the grade - interesting ride home with just a tiny bit of clutch.
No biggie to fix. Aftermarket adjustable levers are recommended and perhaps risers for more upright position. The screen on that is the touring screen and it's very quiet and buffet free behind it. Screen might be a tad tall for you. There are loads out there including third party.

The cops loved these machines - neat trick is to spin it on the centre stand instead of backing it out.

Last edited:
Insurance in Australia is so cheep cause you have more chance of being killed by any of the 10000 billion poisonous animals that live there.

and im going to look at that very bike Monday hopefully

Cool. I'd say I'd go with you but it's a fairly new ride for me as well and I relied on others to assess it.
The only issue I had of any consequence was the clutch.
The rotors had hot spots and $200 fixed that ( they worked fine at speed - was annoying at slow speed - can happen with any bike apparently - the metal actually changes and the pads grip differently on the changed surface.

Looks well maintained.
Wear your tall boots :D ...I put 1/2" gel heel pads in my boots - helps a bit. The motor is sooooo sweet.

30-150 is a blur considering the size of the bike.
It really does not weight much more than my Burgman 650 and has about the same storage.

NeradaTeaandbikes_zpseff3d639.jpg

riding buddy in Aus rides the same Burgman 650 -I kept walking out the door and getting on his :D

This is without the side cases which are easy on and off and drop the weight.

ScreenShot2013-02-18atFeb18201342051PM_zps05cb8019.jpg

my "winter" conditions....40 km of twisties on The Captain Cook Highway

ScreenShot2013-02-12atFeb12201314318PM_zpsd0367966.jpg

What you save on a bike gets you a trip or two here ;)

off course yeah a few critters...

Last edited:
Why not just look for GIVI cases for your Katana?
When i was switching from the 650 bandit to the cbf1000 my insurance quote was the same for both bikes :)

Back
Top Bottom