New WSBK Rules: Win Race 1 and start from 9th place in Race 2! | GTAMotorcycle.com

New WSBK Rules: Win Race 1 and start from 9th place in Race 2!

Lightcycle

Rounder of bolts, Dropper of tools
Site Supporter
Affirmative action? I thought I had a stroke and woke up April 1.

I'm just trying to picture a scenario where it would be beneficial to drop a position in race 1, losing a few championship points, but get a good grid position for race 2 to net more points at the end of the weekend.

For example, you're running in 3rd place with no hope of catching 2nd or 1st. If you finish in that order, you get 16 points and have to start race 2 in 7th.

However, if you intentionally drop down one position and try to take 4th, you get 13 points (3 points less) for race 1, but you get to start in pole position. And if you manage to keep that position till the end of race 2, it's a 16 point difference between 1st (25 points) and 7th (9 points).

So net point difference for the weekend is 6 points if you give up a position in race 1 from 3rd to 4th.

Lot of ifs, like maintaining the lead in race 2. But if the track is tight with very little passing opportunities, this kind of jockeying for the coveted 4th place in race 1 might be a valid strategy.

Exactly. Which means it's not really "racing" anymore, as if that means anything in the world of entertainment. Personally I am sick to my stomach. I will be spectating under protest. If this gets SS riders off the street I'm all for it tho. Pretenders, the lot of them.

Lots of "ifs" alright. I don't think they can count on loosing points in race 1 to gain more in race 2. It's racing after all and "stuff" happens.

it's hokey/artificial, but WSBK has a perception problem, and not enough people are paying attention to it. I guess they are trying whatever they can to get more people watching.

I'm just trying to picture a scenario where it would be beneficial to drop a position in race 1, losing a few championship points, but get a good grid position for race 2 to net more points at the end of the weekend.

For example, you're running in 3rd place with no hope of catching 2nd or 1st. If you finish in that order, you get 16 points and have to start race 2 in 7th.

However, if you intentionally drop down one position and try to take 4th, you get 13 points (3 points less) for race 1, but you get to start in pole position. And if you manage to keep that position till the end of race 2, it's a 16 point difference between 1st (25 points) and 7th (9 points).

So net point difference for the weekend is 6 points if you give up a position in race 1 from 3rd to 4th.

Lot of ifs, like maintaining the lead in race 2. But if the track is tight with very little passing opportunities, this kind of jockeying for the coveted 4th place in race 1 might be a valid strategy.
Was thinking this but could be bothered to do the math. You da real MVP

Nobody is going to drop a position and lose guarantied championship points during a race for hopes of a better grid for the next race. Grid position is important but you can have a bad start and there it goes the advantage, Points gained during a race are real points.

Last edited:
They are trying to explain it

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/news/2016/WorldSBK+Race+2+Grid+Modifications+Defined

But I'm still confused.

1. What happens if I qualify in Superpole for grid position 9 for Race 1 but I finish the Race in Position 10. So I don't get to race in #2 race since I have no position to take according to these rules.

you'll start on row 4. i think it only as to do with the top 9 positions.

My concern is where do I start if I qualified pole and crashed out !?!?!
I start last on the grid ????

Or first lol

From a spectators point of view, it'll make the beginning third of the races a bit more interesting. It doesn't make it any less dumb though. An at-random lottery would've been a better idea...

Get to the back!!

Good question though since 10th downward is based on Superpole results. So if 15th in superpole has a DNF, is looks like they'd start in 15th again.

The rules are kind of vague about what happens if you qualify in the top 10, but finish outside of it in Race 1.

My guess is that the order of 10th to 24th (or whatever) is preserved and that order is bumped up or down depending on where the Superpole Top 9 finish after Race 1.

So say Jordi Torres qualifies 11th, and then finishes Race 1 in P8. Rea DNFs Race 1 (we're just going to take for granted he qualifies somewhere in the top 10).

The top nine finishers in Race 1 reorgs based on the new rules. Torres lines up in P5 for Race 2. Rea goes to P10. The rest of the bottom of the field lines up behind Rea in the same order they finished in for Superpole.

For every one of the bottom P10-P24 racers that moves up to the top 9 in Race 2, someone from the original top 9 has to get bumped down to P10, P11, P12 etc.

Last edited:
^ looks reasonable^ which I'm sure it is. As long as the final results are merit based that's all I care about. I'm having none of this garbage in garbage out malarky.

As long as they don't get tangled up into anything, it will still be the same guys at the front whether they start in 1,4,7. Unless something is out of the ordinary it will be green or red at the front again.

Back
Top Bottom