New to the Bike Scene (Need Help!) | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New to the Bike Scene (Need Help!)

In the words of frekeguy, "unmolested" is always better

Stock>>modded in my book. Always

OP, are you hoping to ride this season?

Realistically there's not much of it left unfortunately, especially before we start dealing with hazards like cold tires that don't stick well, wet leaves on the roads, and potentially frost in unexpected places at unexpected moments - all of these present a potential big danger to new riders.

If you're not dying to get on the road for the few weeks that are realistically left before it's going to be too cold to ride enjoyably anyways (without some serious cold weather gear), you may want to wait another 4-6 weeks and continue shopping then. Once the final nail is in the coffin on the season peoples lofty valuations tend to dissolve and it's a strong buyers market at that point. People are staring down the fact they either sell to an interested buyer at a lower price, or they're going to be stuck with the bike (and possibly related winterization/storage fees) until the spring.

As said by someone else, the mods on that first bike are big money. Even looks like Vortex rear-sets instead of Chinese. So if these are mods you'd want you'll save money buying that bike then buying a stock one and all the bits.

Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that a person would pay for a new sticker this month and then say 'keep the plates, I don't like them'?????

Doesn't it strike anyone as odd that a person would pay for a new sticker this month and then say 'keep the plates, I don't like them'?????

Probably had a 2 year sticker. Possibly a new rider who rode 1 season and discovered riding just wasn't their bag.

Hello!

I know about as much about bikes as Kim Jong Un's rockets.
Not sure exactly what to check for or ask..

LOL, very nice.

1) Stay away from anything heavily modified or electrical mods, or someone who did everything themselves. I think this is especially true for the starter bike market as most haven't owned a bike before and you'd be buying a guinea pig of a bike.

While looking out for bikes for friends it seems many 250/300 owners trick their bikes out with lights, etc. My experience is most people do not do things properly on bikes/cars they don't intend 'to keep forever'. The cleaner/unmodified the better; aftermarket parts generally do not constitute a higher resale value (sometimes the exact opposite)

2) Check the service manual requirements for any bike you're buying. Some of them require a major service (Valve check/adjustment) at (for example) 24,000KM. If you're buying a bike with 20,000km in order to save $750 over another with 5,000km; you're buying an older bike for essentially the same price.

The obvious things check the overall condition of the bike, tires, etc. Realize that as you get into the higher mileage you'll be looking at brake pads, tires, etc (large expenses when compared to the cost of a 250/300 if you're not mech inclined).

I've learned that people are stupid. Not that they have some sort of plan but are just plain stupid. Likely has no idea they can get money back for the sticker or that the plate is tied to them in any way.

Sad, but yes, true.

Hey all!
Just an update, I just completed my day 1 of riding for my Moto course, just one more day and I'll be done!
I got a chance to ride a whole variety of motorcycles, and the one that I never thought I would even touch is the one I liked the most, the Honda Grom.
I'm absolutely in love with it the only issue is, will it make for a decent primary source of transportation? I think going on the highway with the Grom is asking for death, but I feel like I will love the Grom a lot more than a 250/300cc sport bike.

Anyone have experience with the Grom as their primary vehicle?

Thanks!

A grom as a primary vehicle? No, you don't live in downtown LA. The grom can hardly do highway speeds, the grom is a good secondary bike or vehicle to boot and beat around on

I've rode a Grom. I would agree with others that it's entirely unsuitable for 400 series riding. It might do the speed but it won't be stable.

For backroads or around the city streets, sure. For light touring, perhaps, but I suspect you'd find it would get uncomfortable fairly quickly.

Then again, some people are crazy...like this guy that rode a grom to Alaska. Not sure how it took him so long given how many hours a day he claimed to be riding, but there's no question he actually accomplished the trip.

I can see how a Grom would appeal to first time riders
small size, easy handling
very modest power

but think that would get old real quick
quicker than a traditional 250 starter type bike

ill always maintain a ninja 300 is still the king of beginner bikes

ill always maintain a ninja 300 is still the king of beginner bikes

For someone looking for a sport bike, sure.

For someone looking at any other style of bike, not so much.

Basically any of the 250-300 from the big brands will be good starters. Pick your style and ride. Used is good if you can get it at a reasonable price. As I always say, it's your first bike, not your last.

Thanks again for the help!

In regards to insurance, is collision ($1,000 deductible) necessary for a $4-6k bike?
Insurance cost would go down roughly 20-30% if I rid of collision.
Is it just one of those gambles?

Thanks again for the help!

In regards to insurance, is collision ($1,000 deductible) necessary for a $4-6k bike?
Insurance cost would go down roughly 20-30% if I rid of collision.
Is it just one of those gambles?

personal value judgment, but I'd say no

if you dump it, fix it yourself, premiums won't go up

if you write it off and claim it through collision
insurance Co will cut you a cheque

but if it's an at fault loss
chances of getting canceled are pretty good

and at renewal time, being an a new rider
your insurance will go through the roof
and stay that way for years

best to get a few claims and ticket free years under your belt
then look at a more valuable bike and full coverage

I don't have collision on my bike because I buy cheap ($1800) and I generally fix what I break. It's a common occurrence for someone to have collision, but not use it based on how much their rates will go up. If the bike is financed, insurance may be mandatory, or least recommended. It's a personal decision based on your finances, your own opinion, and what you would do if there was an accident. If I hit a deer, I can afford to fix or replace the bike without an insurance claim. Your circumstances may be different.

Back
Top Bottom