New speed camera locations 5/7/2022 | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New speed camera locations 5/7/2022

I don't mind the cameras.

No one as far as I know got one for less then 10km/h.

They are all still within "Community Safety Zones" what ever that means nowadays.

Getting 421 people doing 50km/h over the speed limit on city roads in two years. Just goes to show we actually need this.

Now on the 407 ETR? Left Lane? Yah it should be 180-200km/h.

I mind cameras because speed limits in Toronto doesn't make any sense.

Also like it or not, with the build up of condos and rentals without parking spaces, the city is rapidly seeing the majority of households go car less. Affordability aside, just getting a spot is problematic now, and cars doing 80km/h down mid-town stretch of Yonge street (as an example) are forcing this change.

So this means lower speeds, as in Europe, to compensate for heavier pedestrian, cycling and transit traffic.

There will be a day when all 2 lane roads will be 30km/h, and only the biggest multi lane roads like parts of Lakeshore or the Bayview extension will be 50km/h. It's inevitable with the jacka**es driving on our roads.

And cameras itself don't do anything for the road safety.

No they don't. But since we do not have enough traffic officers it's well something.

They have worked because I am definitely driving slower in the city after receiving a $94 ticket.

I basically stick to the limit in the sensitive zones.

Ironically, I had lectured my sons about the speeding cameras and was the first one to get tickets. Nice photo of my bike too. :)

Also like it or not, with the build up of condos and rentals without parking spaces, the city is rapidly seeing the majority of households go car less. Affordability aside, just getting a spot is problematic now, and cars doing 80km/h down mid-town stretch of Yonge street (as an example) are forcing this change.

So this means lower speeds, as in Europe, to compensate for heavier pedestrian, cycling and transit traffic.

There will be a day when all 2 lane roads will be 30km/h, and only the biggest multi lane roads like parts of Lakeshore or the Bayview extension will be 50km/h. It's inevitable with the jacka**es driving on our roads.
What you are saying makes sense.
But that requires a redesign of the streets a la Danforth, not just slapping 30 km/h signs and putting a camera next to it.

But that requires a redesign of the streets a la Danforth, not just slapping 30 km/h signs and putting a camera next to it.

I agree whole heartedly on that.

But you have to wonder about drivers. There have been 421 summons for over 50km/h with 50 cameras, in 50 community zones, of which the city probably has 2,000 such zones (schools, libraries, community centers and churches).

Kinda crazy to think that's potentially over 15,000 times people did 50km/h over in our city since the cameras got installed.

I agree whole heartedly on that.

But you have to wonder about drivers. There have been 421 summons for over 50km/h with 50 cameras, in 50 community zones, of which the city probably has 2,000 such zones (schools, libraries, community centers and churches).

Kinda crazy to think that's potentially over 15,000 times people did 50km/h over in our city since the cameras got installed.
I was looking at a speed study for a 50 km/h road in Burlington. Many times a day, speeds over 150 km/h were measured (normally very late at night). Equipment malfunction or reality? I don't know and it didn't matter for my purposes. I suspect knobs were racing there almost nightly.

Also, be careful you don't get community safety zones and uses like schools, libraries and community centres confused. CSZ are a political measure that can be applied anywhere and everywhere with no justification. I am surprised that somewhere like Caledon hasn't gone ahead and declared Caledon as a CSZ so they can install cameras wherever they want.

I'd love to see a street that was "designed for" 80km/h and limited to 30km/h in the city.
I was more referring to country roads with that comment. Bayview extension and RVR are two roads where design speed (and safe travel speed) and posted speed keep diverging further and further. They aren't yet down to 30 but they are working their way there. There are few entrances, little cross traffic, few pedestrians etc. 40 km/h is politics only.

Last edited:
The amount of times both cars and motorcycles have landed themselves into the trees on Rosedale Valley Road. Even now with it's posted 40km/h speed limit. Indicates otherwise.

Plus f**k face Saturday in a SUV who hopped the right curb to pass me as I was in the left tire track doing 45km/h. Just to get to the red at Rosedale Valley and Park 30 seconds faster.

Not one but two cameras (so both ways) should be installed! 😑

The amount of times both cars and motorcycles have landed themselves into the trees on Rosedale Valley Road. Even now with it's posted 40km/h speed limit. Indicates otherwise.

Plus f**k face Saturday in a SUV who hopped the right curb to pass me as I was in the left tire track doing 45km/h. Just to get to the red at Rosedale Valley and Park 30 seconds faster.

How fast were they going though when they crashed? Again, numbers on signs are almost immaterial other than revenue generation. People drive close to the design speed. For someone to pass you on the inside and gain 30 seconds on that stretch of road, they were probably going close to 80 without fear of crashing. I'm not condoning their behaviour just pointing out the futility of the current political stupidity. Drop a rumble strip up the centre line a few feet wide and a rumble strip on each side to protect a bike lane and you have narrowed vehicle lane substantially. Vehicle speeds will naturally plummet. You don't even need to bother changing the signs.

Well, congrats, you ruined all the fun for that dude, and for yourself. At 80 km/h it's a fun road to drive/ride, at 40 km/h - it's a snooze fest. And it's not about getting faster to your destination.

p.s. Never heard of any crashes on RVR, googled - "rosedale valley road crash" gives 3 crashes on a first page, 2010, 2013 and 2015. The two later ones are fatal motorcycle ones, but I would say 7 years without major accidents - it's pretty safe road.

(expect incoming "roads are not meant for fun" - not sure why to own a motorcycle then, as it's definitely a toy for a road)

Drop a rumble strip up the centre line a few feet wide and a rumble strip on each side to protect a bike lane and you have narrowed vehicle lane substantially. Vehicle speeds will naturally plummet.

As I said I agree we do need redesigns of our roadway, both to slow cars down and to make them more useful to most Toronto users not just 905 commuters.

With the density of traffic lights, stop signs and cross walks, there are very few parts of the city of Toronto proper (not the boroughs) that doing anything above 50km/h will get you anywhere faster. Even without road design just common sense.

If people feel that entitled to illegally pass and speed to hit the next red light 30 seconds faster. Well, driving is a privilege and cameras are cheaper then $125k/year police officers.

p.s. Never heard of any crashes on RVR, googled - "rosedale valley road crash" gives 3 crashes on a first page, 2010, 2013 and 2015. The two later ones are fatal motorcycle ones, but I would say 7 years without major accidents - it's pretty safe road.

Rosedale Valley Road and where you enter it from the Bayview Extension. Just a quick search on Twitter shows at least 4 reported accidents so far in 2022.

COVID and working from home severely lowered the amount of accidents if you go backwards to 2019 and earlier.

Rosedale Valley Road and where you enter it from the Bayview Extension. Just a quick search on Twitter shows at least 4 reported accidents so far in 2022.

COVID and working from home severely lowered the amount of accidents if you go backwards to 2019 and earlier.
We don't know if any of them are speed related. As they all have happened during morning or midday - my bet is on a distracted driving.

Back
Top Bottom