New Riders...Start with a smaller bike! | Page 11 | GTAMotorcycle.com

New Riders...Start with a smaller bike!

Dude, you're missing the point. You are in your first season and like every noob that has gone for a "bigger" bike to start, state you are the exception to the rule. You say you have a handle on everything and know what you are doing. You won't be the exception for many years, and if you are, great. All the best to you. You are coming across as arrogant and that's why you are getting heat.
It's your opinion Riceburner. I guess I should feel bad about steadily improving. I didn't know feeling good about it could be viewed as "arrogant" but it's all good man.

Everyone has their opinion.

Sent from my Z957 using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Look there's no sense talking further, Genesis feels that he knows what he's doing better than we do.
He's the exception, that proves the rule.
It's the rider, and had nothing to do with the bike.

When my kids were young, I could just tell them what to do, and they'd believe me.
As they got older, I had to justify my answers, and they didn't always take my advice.
Once they became adults at sixteen, they rarely wanted to even listen, I could advise, but they wouldn't always take it.
It's hard, but Genesis is an adult now, and can make decisions on his own.

So let's just sit down, shut up, and hold his beer.
Lol..

Everyone has their opinion.

the usual defense of the indefensible.....what you are missing is"informed" opinion.

It's like you saying your "opinion" about your illness is equal to your doctor's ....it's not ...his is informed by education and experience and able to back it up with facts.

You have neither experience or facts supporting you.
Fact is....new young riders on powerful bikes cost the health system a lot of money.
Fact is male judgement in particular to risk assessment is not fully developed until they are in their mid-twenties.
Fact is countries like Australia and many places in Europe restrict new riders to Learner level machines...

for good reason.

Best approach instead of trying to make a case is that you understand that you are in a high risk situation and appreciate the concern. THAT shows some good judgement. :rolleyes:

My views are being misrepresented and distorted in order to fit them into a preconceived mold of a common "newbie".

Intellectually dishonest and a showcase of lacking character.

Little of what you said accurately describes my approach or presentation in this discussion and anyone with an ounce of integrity can see that.

I'll agree with most of that. Seems like everybody has come running to dump on the new guy who dares to start on a 600s. Surely you will die, you must, it's the Odds!
Won't somebody think of the children?

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

That just feeds the nonsense....:rolleyes: perhaps you can point out where anyone said anything remotely close to that ......

Genesis: I know better than you guys, i started on an R6, "I have a deep relationship with my bike" "Im one of those guys that wont crash" "(I used to be a newbie)- still in first season"

Everyone else on the forums: Dude, trust me, its not good to start on an R6

Pretty much 11 pages in a nutshell

Seat time is great for understanding traffic. Learning your own limits however should be done with dirt riding and track/racing. Get a race licence you'll learn more in a weekend than a lifetime riding the streets.
BRO! Do you even race?

Last edited:
No no I said I have a "deeper" relationship with the bike. Not a "deep" relationship.

I'm not asking for much intellectually but please see if you can see why that difference matters and why you should be accurate when quoting someone's words.

Oh and thanks for proving my point about misrepresentation.

Also, when did I say it's "good" to start on an R6?

And for "who"?

I recall saying that there are some individuals out there (like myself) who could manage the R6 with success as their first bike.
That has been the basis for my entire argument and it has already been proven as a fact.

Where exactly am I incorrect or inaccurate in my statements?

Which premise did I get wrong?
Go head. Take your time and tell me.

Genesis: I know better than you guys, i started on an R6, "I have a deep relationship with my bike" "Im one of those guys that wont crash" "(I used to be a newbie)- still in first season"

Everyone else on the forums: Dude, trust me, its not good to start on an R6

Pretty much 11 pages in a nutshell
The basis of your entire argument is that because a 600 SS would be too much for you, and too much for many other guys you know, you conclude that it is too much for me.

I'm not obligated to teach critical thinking so I won't bother comment on the structure of your argument.

Secondly, since you're big on experience,
here's a little question for you that might rattle the bird cage.....

Do you or "the others guys" have experience starting on a 600cc+ supersport?

Is it not interesting that the ones who have never done it swear on their life that it's "crazy/insane/stupid/impossible/doomed/etc while the ones who actually Have are living walking/riding proof that it is very much achievable?

Instead of imagining what it would be like if you started on a SS, why don't you listen to guys with experience who has actually started on one?

You have no experience starting on a SS yet you're criticising me from the vantage point of imagination for telling you and others that it is very much possible and achievable to start on an SS for some people.

Funny.

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I think we just need to tone it down a bit. Obviously the opinions have been stated, and no one is right. You *CAN* start on/ride whatever the hell you want, its your life. But some of you are taking this far too personally, and just need to let it go. This is the internet, nothing you say matters, and no one really cares... And if you do care, stop?

[video=youtube_share;aJX4ytfqw6k]https://youtu.be/aJX4ytfqw6k[/video]

Not to add fuel to the fire, but I think we just need to tone it down a bit. Obviously the opinions have been stated, and no one is right. You *CAN* start on/ride whatever the hell you want, its your life. But some of you are taking this far too personally, and just need to let it go. This is the internet, nothing you say matters, and no one really cares... And if you do care, stop?

[video=youtube_share;aJX4ytfqw6k]https://youtu.be/aJX4ytfqw6k[/video]
Yeah, I think we all agreed it's depends on the rider in the first page, lol.

I guess some people really feel the need to be acknowledged.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Genesis, you are articulate and determined, I'll give you that, but you are also overconfident and unwilling to accept criticism. That's a bad thing. Try being humble sometimes.

In the aviation world there's an old saying - "There are old pilots, and there are bolt pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots". The bullheadedness that some newbie motorcyclists exhibit would promptly get you killed inside a few hundred hours of flying, or less - there's lots of student pilots who decided they knew more than their instructors or the flight manuals, promptly got in over the heads, and became a statistic. Refusing to listen to knowledgable people who know more than you , refusing to swallow your pride and not do something you really wanted to do (commonly referred to as "Get-There-Itis" in aviation), or a willingness (or eagerness) to simply discount the facts regardless of the fact you really should accept or understand that what you're trying isn't safe...well, that sort of thing gets pilots killed.

If every newbie on a SS or wannabe racer squid behaved the same as some do on motorcycles, but in the world of airplanes, we'd see crashes on a daily basis.

But do as you wish. It's clear you're not going to humble yourself and at least admit that your choices may have been unwise, and as you've already got the bike it's a foregone conclusion you're going to keep it, so all we can do is wish you well and hope luck stays on your side.

Many newbie/supersport combinations rely a lot on that luck component, regardless if the rider understands or chooses to acknowledge it.

So yeah, good luck, and safe riding.

Genesis, you are articulate and determined, I'll give you that, but you are also overconfident and unwilling to accept criticism. That's a bad thing. Try being humble sometimes.

In the aviation world there's an old saying - "There are old pilots, and there are bolt pilots, but there are no old, bold pilots". The bullheadedness that some newbie motorcyclists exhibit would promptly get you killed inside a few hundred hours of flying, or less - there's lots of student pilots who decided they knew more than their instructors or the flight manuals, promptly got in over the heads, and became a statistic. Refusing to listen to knowledgable people who know more than you , refusing to swallow your pride and not do something you really wanted to do (commonly referred to as "Get-There-Itis" in aviation), or a willingness (or eagerness) to simply discount the facts regardless of the fact you really should accept or understand that what you're trying isn't safe...well, that sort of thing gets pilots killed.

If every newbie on a SS or wannabe racer squid behaved the same as some do on motorcycles, but in the world of airplanes, we'd see crashes on a daily basis.

But do as you wish. It's clear you're not going to humble yourself and at least admit that your choices may have been unwise, and as you've already got the bike it's a foregone conclusion you're going to keep it, so all we can do is wish you well and hope luck stays on your side.

Many newbie/supersport combinations rely a lot on that luck component, regardless if the rider understands or chooses to acknowledge it.

So yeah, good luck, and safe riding.
I understand Pilot.
And thanks.

I appreciate the criticism from all who shared their opinion. Aside from the attitude by some towards a new rider starting on a SS, the actual warnings and advice was good and well thought out.

So thanks.

Can we stop the Genesis **** show? It doesnt take much if you're actually reading his posts to realize he isnt some poser squid who started off on an SS because it was "cool". The guy seems well educated and while it may not be advisable for all new riders to start on an SS, it works for some. Props to you Genesis for even being able to afford insurance on a R6 as a new rider and from what you've said it seems like you're continuing to learn the ins and outs of your bike and most of all have a respect for its power which is great.

Last edited:
Can we stop the Genesis **** show? It doesnt take much if you're actually reading his posts to realize he isnt some poser squid who started off on an SS because it was "cool".
Not entirely true, he started on an SS for purely aesthetic and vanity reasons. He wouldn't want to be caught dead with a 250 unless I misunderstood him.

That said, at least he was honest about it. I'm not one to judge whether he can handle it or not.

Can we stop the Genesis **** show? It doesnt take much if you're actually reading his posts to realize he isnt some poser squid who started off on an SS because it was "cool". The guy seems well educated and while it may not be advisable for all new riders to start on an SS, it works for some. Props to you Genesis for even being able to afford insurance on a R6 as a new rider and from what you've said it seems like you're continuing to learn the ins and outs of your bike and most of all have a respect for its power which is great.
Thanks for your insight. It's always a breath of fresh air to find character in a crowd. Giving credit where it's due is a good showcase of character and Integrity.

On both extreme sides of the spectrum, we'll always see bandwagon jumpers who subconsciously envy or reject individuals who embrace their neutrality and their own path. They don't understand why we don't join the pack, and what's worse, they sloppily throw people like me into a "pre-molded" category they're familiar with because they can't identify or perceive a more accurate description of who they are dealing with.

It's sad, but no worries man. I just have fun with em.

Back
Top Bottom