New rider questions | GTAMotorcycle.com

New rider questions

RJ East

Hiya - I have a couple of questions for the more knowledgeable. I got my license late last year and this is my first season of riding. I'm an adult for context.

1) I've been riding all over Toronto proper from 5:30am to 7am daily. Posted limits are often 40, and I'm routinely going over that because it's a ghost town at that time. Am I going to get ruined by speed cameras? I'm not a super speedy guy, but I'll go 55 in a 40 without thinking about it if given space. On that point, can speed cameras issue demerit points?
2) when I signed my insurance policy I assumed that I would be around 1500km in my first year of riding based on my free time. Well, it's been a couple months riding and I've already hit 1000km - mostly because this whole motorcycle thing is even more compelling than I anticipated. Do I need to contact my insurance people now, or should I just make the adjustment when my policy renews?

Thanks - I appreciate any notes you guys might have.

Well, the nail that stands out gets hammered down. It’s a bit different if you’re in a flow of traffic all going at a similar speed as opposed to the only easy target on the road at that particular time.

Certainly makes sense. I'll have a better idea in a month or two when the mailed infractions arrive. Daily riding at 11km over on a camera road could add up quick.

A couple years back I got an $80 ticket for going 51 in a 40 along davisville at 7am. That kind of thing makes me nervous because any normal officer wouldn't look twice but a camera is unforgiving.

Certainly makes sense. I'll have a better idea in a month or two when the mailed infractions arrive. Daily riding at 11km over on a camera road could add up quick.

A couple years back I got an $80 ticket for going 51 in a 40 along davisville at 7am. That kind of thing makes me nervous because any normal officer wouldn't look twice but a camera is unforgiving.
The camera tickets don't affect your insurance policy, just your wallet. No points.

as for your mileage, well..the insurance company will certainly try everything to get out of a claim if you make one. Going thousands of KMs over your 'reported mileage' could be enough of a loop hole, if you want peace of mind; call back and inquire what your premium change would be upping it to 10k/year.

Good to know about the camera / points - thank you. I can deal with a ticket once in awhile, but the points would be more worrisome as an M2 rider.

You've confirmed my thoughts on the KM / insurance. Makes sense to give the insurance people a ring once I've breached what my policy says.

Back
Top Bottom