Neighbours | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Neighbours

This part bugs me. Seems he didn't care about the noise when just the wife was living there. She seemed to be ok with it for 3 years. It sounds like you only care about yourself and not your wife. I think it's time to get past it and just enjoy your house.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk

no, I was away from the house for other reasons most of the summer at that time. That was when the neighbour reinstalled the new AC in the same place and yes I really regret not going over and asking if he might consider putting it where every other neighbour puts their AC unit. I think when he reinstalled it he had the installers move it several inches back right against his wall when he could have easily had it moved and solved all problems (for him too seeing as how he can't use it after 11). My AC installer guy had a look at it and said it was too close to my property line and house.

Yes yes the unit was there when I bought the house...this was my first house and when we bought it was still cold weather outside. We overlooked this potential problem, didn't have a clue. Only when the noise started did we know. Previous occupant of house was a very meek person, wouldn't say boo to a goose, I'm not like that.

As for moving in and fitting in with the neighbourhood, I'm fine with all that, unless someone wants to be an inconsiderate dick.

One thing I didn't say was that I did offer to help the guy with relocation costs for the AC but I never heard a thing from him....he has a nice garden and just built a sunroom extension and my feeling is that he doesn't want to clutter his yard up with an AC unit that might be noisy near his sunroom so he's fine with still pissing me off with the noise.

and yes...depending on what happens next, a lawyer is on the cards. Despite any distance issues there's a clause in our bylaws here that means something needs to be done if you cannot enjoy your own home. The passageway between our houses is quite narrow, more narrow than most other properties here. The AC unit should never have been put there in the first place. I wouldn't mind too much if it was silent with the windows closed (which are new by the way) but it's not, having windows open on a hot night is impossible if the thing goes off. See my problem now?[/QUOTE]

I don't think the part about enjoyment of house will pass the smell test. The previous owner didn't complain, you didn't complain for 3 years and now you admit he not only put in a quiet unit but moved it closer to his house, so yes he tried to do something. My money's on him,I doubt you're going to make anyone force him to move it now. It doesn't matter what the reason was you weren't there in the summer months for 3 years, your wife was and you didn't give a rat's *** about her putting up with it for those 3 years. Sounds self centered to me.

Sent from my LG-D803 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

no, no, wife was in Ottawa, I was commuting between Ottawa and Kingston. As I had the bike I said I'd travel to Ottawa most of the time in the summer so I stayed there most of the time. Wife doesn't want to talk to the guy as she said she'd blow her lid at him. I've done all the talking, as friendly as I could up to a point.

As for the bylaw thing, yes I measured it, to the property line it's just fractionally too close my guess is that the city tried the noise after 11 thing first thinking that might make the guy move it on his own as he couldn't use it during hot nights. It worked for a while then every now and then it's on well into the night and if I complain all I get is a blank stare......quiet for a bit...then it happens again. Seriously, I understand about the posters saying I'm whining, fair enough. You really have to meet this guy though, when he said "oh it doesn't bother me, my bedroom is on the other side" that's when I thought the rational, friendly approach might not work. The first AC unit was well inside the bylaw limit, way too close to the house, instead of putting the second in his back yard, he's shoehorned it into the tightest spot possible but it still doesn't comply. Do you see what I'm dealing with now? Doesn't matter if you don't, also the bylaws for Kingston are a little different than you guys. This isn't a new subdivision where the only spots for AC units are the side of the house, it's one of the older subdivisions with very large yards.

Heres my biggest beef...when the guy had a chance to sort things out once and for all with minimum fuss by putting the second AC unit in his yard when the first was replaced, he chose to be a continual dick. He made a conscious choice to keep it where it was knowing it would still be an issue.

no, I was away from the house for other reasons most of the summer at that time. That was when the neighbour reinstalled the new AC in the same place and yes I really regret not going over and asking if he might consider putting it where every other neighbour puts their AC unit. I think when he reinstalled it he had the installers move it several inches back right against his wall when he could have easily had it moved and solved all problems (for him too seeing as how he can't use it after 11). My AC installer guy had a look at it and said it was too close to my property line and house.

Yes yes the unit was there when I bought the house...this was my first house and when we bought it was still cold weather outside. We overlooked this potential problem, didn't have a clue. Only when the noise started did we know. Previous occupant of house was a very meek person, wouldn't say boo to a goose, I'm not like that.

As for moving in and fitting in with the neighbourhood, I'm fine with all that, unless someone wants to be an inconsiderate dick.

One thing I didn't say was that I did offer to help the guy with relocation costs for the AC but I never heard a thing from him....he has a nice garden and just built a sunroom extension and my feeling is that he doesn't want to clutter his yard up with an AC unit that might be noisy near his sunroom so he's fine with still pissing me off with the noise.

and yes...depending on what happens next, a lawyer is on the cards. Despite any distance issues there's a clause in our bylaws here that means something needs to be done if you cannot enjoy your own home. The passageway between our houses is quite narrow, more narrow than most other properties here. The AC unit should never have been put there in the first place. I wouldn't mind too much if it was silent with the windows closed (which are new by the way) but it's not, having windows open on a hot night is impossible if the thing goes off. See my problem now?

I don't think the part about enjoyment of house will pass the smell test. The previous owner didn't complain, you didn't complain for 3 years and now you admit he not only put in a quiet unit but moved it closer to his house, so yes he tried to do something. My money's on him,I doubt you're going to make anyone force him to move it now. It doesn't matter what the reason was you weren't there in the summer months for 3 years, your wife was and you didn't give a rat's *** about her putting up with it for those 3 years. Sounds self centered to me.

no, no, wife was in Ottawa, I was commuting between Ottawa and Kingston. As I had the bike I said I'd travel to Ottawa most of the time in the summer so I stayed there most of the time. Wife doesn't want to talk to the guy as she said she'd blow her lid at him. I've done all the talking, as friendly as I could up to a point.

As for the bylaw thing, yes I measured it, to the property line it's just fractionally too close my guess is that the city tried the noise after 11 thing first thinking that might make the guy move it on his own as he couldn't use it during hot nights. It worked for a while then every now and then it's on well into the night and if I complain all I get is a blank stare......quiet for a bit...then it happens again. Seriously, I understand about the posters saying I'm whining, fair enough. You really have to meet this guy though, when he said "oh it doesn't bother me, my bedroom is on the other side" that's when I thought the rational, friendly approach might not work. The first AC unit was well inside the bylaw limit, way too close to the house, instead of putting the second in his back yard, he's shoehorned it into the tightest spot possible but it still doesn't comply. Do you see what I'm dealing with now? Doesn't matter if you don't, also the bylaws for Kingston are a little different than you guys. This isn't a new subdivision where the only spots for AC units are the side of the house, it's one of the older subdivisions with very large yards.

Heres my biggest beef...when the guy had a chance to sort things out once and for all with minimum fuss by putting the second AC unit in his yard when the first was replaced, he chose to be a continual dick. He made a conscious choice to keep it where it was knowing it would still be an issue.[/QUOTE]

But it only seems to an issue with you, not your wife, not the previous owner. Can't change the world for 1 person.

lol

I'm not saying op's in the right, i'm just agreeing that the neighbor being a dick.

That doesn't answer my question. That seems to be the quintessential French answer. :p

Last edited:
^i guess it would depend when it was installed.
Before op moved in = deal with it.
After = ok to complain at the time of installation. If you wait three or nine years = deal with it.

EDIT:
Op said neighbor replaced the a/c. He should of complained at that time. That would be reasonable.
The neighbor knew about op's distaste for the noise, and when the replacement got installed, the neighbor should have moved it. That was a dick move.

If the A/C was installed prior to there being a bylaw then the A/C owner could try for a grandfather clause exemption. Nothing to do with when the OP moved in or his situation changed. The A/C guy lost the grandfather exemption when he replaced the unit. According to some people the A-Hs have all the rights and the rest of us should put up with their crap.

If the A/C was installed prior to there being a bylaw then the A/C owner could try for a grandfather clause exemption. Nothing to do with when the OP moved in or his situation changed. The A/C guy lost the grandfather exemption when he replaced the unit. According to some people the A-Hs have all the rights and the rest of us should put up with their crap.

Not true about him having all the rights, but neither the op or his AC guy measured the distance, they are just guessing that's it's against by law, guessing doesn't hold up in a court of law. Also the city by law officer didn't issue a compliance order, which tells me it's not against by law there. You're convicting the neighbor without any proof of a violation.

Last edited:
Not true about him having all the rights, but neither the op or his AC guy measured the distance, they are just guessing that's it's against by law, guessing doesn't hold up in a court of law. Also the city by law officer didn't issue a compliance order, which tells me it's not against by law there. You're convicting the neighbor without any proof of a violation.

I know this won't hold any sway here because that's not how things work in the new world but who cares about a couple inches or even feet. People put stuff where it doesn't bother them, who cares how it affects other people? NIMBY.
I'm pretty sure I'm within my legal rights to warm the bike on the back patio and then drive it between the houses when I'm good and ready. My bike's never been proven to be illegally loud so f my neighbour right? I live on a hill, hit the starter button, by the time I get to the bottom I snick it in gear and off I go. I don't NEED to do that but I feel better about it.

I know this won't hold any sway here because that's not how things work in the new world but who cares about a couple inches or even feet. People put stuff where it doesn't bother them, who cares how it affects other people? NIMBY.
I'm pretty sure I'm within my legal rights to warm the bike on the back patio and then drive it between the houses when I'm good and ready. My bike's never been proven to be illegally loud so f my neighbour right? I live on a hill, hit the starter button, by the time I get to the bottom I snick it in gear and off I go. I don't NEED to do that but I feel better about it.

The problem is, you can't buy a place then complain about an existing situation later. He should of questioned it before the purchase. It's his fault for not noticing it before. No one forced him to buy that house, he chose to.

The problem is, you can't buy a place then complain about an existing situation later. He should of questioned it before the purchase. It's his fault for not noticing it before. No one forced him to buy that house, he chose to.

Yes you can, to a certain point. Where is that point?

i wasn't talking about legalities. Just being neighborly.

fyi - burlington doesn't have a time requirement, or a decibel requirement. Any noise that someone thinks is annoying, you can call the cops for. If you don't like your neighbors weed wacker, you can call the cops. You just have to give your full name and address which the police are allowed to give to the accused if they ask for it.

Yes you can, to a certain point. Where is that point?

I don't believe you can. You make a choice to purchase something, it's up to you to make sure it meets your needs. You can't convince me as easily as you can our resident wanna be French guy dasiffy. Lol

Last edited:
I don't believe you can. You make a choice to purchase something, it's up to you to make sure it meets your needs. You can't convince me as easily as you can our resident French guy dasiffy. Lol

That's true. Like the funeral home with unburied bodies in the backyard. Do your due diligence.

If it's any consolation we moved into a new custom built home last year which is in a neighbourhood that is full of middle aged to elderly couples that have lived here for 15+ years. Our lot is a corner lot so we only have one technical neighbour (the land behind is protected forest and the land to the other side is also protected). Now our neighbours are very proud of their property so they protect it 24 hours a day a giant light that emits the same amount of light equal to 1 million suns. They also despise any kind of debris on their 250 ft long interlock driveway which requires constant gas powered leaf blowers to clear anything including snow off of their interlock from the hours of 7am till 10pm. Its pretty much hourly they have some kind of gas powered maintenance equipment going.

All this being said we are the new ones. No need to be ousted over having the sun shinning 24 hours a day or the glorious sound and smell of two stroke engines running 15 hours a day. It was easier to purchase some good quality light blocking curtains and use the 7am 2 stroke starting up as a good wake up call to get up and get things done. They are in their mid 70's let them live their lives out in piece and when they pass we will be that age and we can be those annoying neighbors.

So...a few years pass...I spend some time between Ottawa and Kingston. Most of the summer I was in Ottawa for 3 years but now I'm back in Kingston full time with wife
This part bugs me. Seems he didn't care about the noise when just the wife was living there. She seemed to be ok with it for 3 years. It sounds like you only care about yourself and not your wife. I think it's time to get past it and just enjoy your house.

and yes...depending on what happens next, a lawyer is on the cards. Despite any distance issues there's a clause in our bylaws here that means something needs to be done if you cannot enjoy your own home. The passageway between our houses is quite narrow, more narrow than most other properties here. The AC unit should never have been put there in the first place. I wouldn't mind too much if it was silent with the windows closed (which are new by the way) but it's not, having windows open on a hot night is impossible if the thing goes off. See my problem now?[/QUOTE]

That sunroom extension might muddy the waters. We live in a backsplit and there is no possible way we could have our AC unit in the back of the house without some significant expense and modifications to make it happen. Hence, the unit is to the side of our house. We talked to our neighbor about it before the unit was installed and we bought the quietest unit we could get and one with a two speed fan. Our neighbor beside us has a crappy unit and it is in their backyard which is where our master bedroom is. So, fans have to be on to not hear their AC unit.

We have one Ahole neighbor behind us and offset a bit. Their son who is pushing 30 now still has regular parties all summer and we end up with beachballs in our backyard and we have to seal up the house to get any sleep. We are on year 7 of this now and we just close the windows for the night. I feel bad for our neighbor next door who has these turkeys right behind him.

Doesn't matter where you live. There is always going to be someone who does not play well with others...

Feel your pain as I had put up with crap neighbors too.

The joy of home ownership really is ruined by only a handful of dbags..

Like others said.. Moving is the quickest option to solve these kinda problems.

But I have to say with stories like yours, I really am tempted to remain a tenant.

I think I will spend the down-payment money on investing in REITs.

나의 SGH-M919V 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Back
Top Bottom