Need to Borrow a Ring Filer. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need to Borrow a Ring Filer.

Tyrell

Hey People looking to borrow one for a day or two. I dont mind throwing some money in for the deal!

use a dremel tool with a cut off wheel. pinch the 2 ends together on to the wheel with evan pressure.

Interesting idea. have you had much success with that technique:confused:

What's wrong with a simple file?

You must ensure that the end of the piston ring is absolutely square to the way the piston ring sits in the bore, and there must be no burr on the edge. There is no way you are going to do that with sufficient accuracy with a normal file. Pinching the ends on opposing sides of a spinning dremel cut-off wheel is an interesting idea but I would consider it to be a risky one. If the end of the piston ring is not absolutely square, the remaining opening between the two ends of the piston ring will be bigger than it needs to be, and it doesn't take much for this to lead to excessive blow-by.

No, I don't have the right tool for this. I've had good luck with not needing one so far (end gaps checked out OK straight out of the box).

I guess being a toolmaker by trade and being able to use a needle file helps. I've never had a problem keeping the ends square. The finishing touch can be applied by squeezing the ends against the file then stone away any burrs.

Since you said you dont mind throwing some money to borrow a file, why dont you just buy one? An actual piston ring filing tool can be had for as low as $40

piston_ring_end_gap_filing_03720.jpg

That is what it is coming down to. Do you know any local suppliers? anyone?

That is what it is coming down to. Do you know any local suppliers? anyone?
Automotive tool supply stores, might even be in some bike shop catalogs....Tons on Ebay for around $40-50 if you dont mind using Ebay

I have installed thousands of rings and I have never seen a "ring filer".
You'll be fine with a file... just take your time and be careful.

Back
Top Bottom