Need a new laptop... have no idea | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a new laptop... have no idea

I probably have a copy of the 10.13 install package (or earlier) on one of my machines kicking around here somewhere. Let me look.

So High Sierra is probably your best bet if the hardware isn't super new.

You can download the installer by clicking here.

You can then make a bootable USB stick by using this tool: Install Disk Creator -

Install it and then when you get to the welcome screen there's an option there for "restore from Time Machine backup". Try that.

Bump!

Anyone have a west end GTA connection for off lease PC laptops? Need one for my my 80yr old mother in law to replace hers which just bit the dust.

Ideally looking for something less than $300, w/ 15” monitor, 8gb RAM and 500gb storage. She only uses it for emails, web browsing and some basic document writing.

No Apple products please, because she doesn’t want to learn anything new and is comfortable with PC operating systems. Asides from that - brand doesn’t matter.

I might just give her my wife’s or my PC laptop and get a slightly better one for us - same basic specs, but I’d pay $400 for us if it had a better graphics/video card and cpu since we do stream on it and watch vids.

Thanks!

Bump!

Anyone have a west end GTA connection for off lease PC laptops? Need one for my my 80yr old mother in law to replace hers which just bit the dust.

Ideally looking for something less than $300, w/ 15” monitor, 8gb RAM and 500gb storage. She only uses it for emails, web browsing and some basic document writing.

No Apple products please, because she doesn’t want to learn anything new and is comfortable with PC operating systems. Asides from that - brand doesn’t matter.

I might just give her my wife’s or my PC laptop and get a slightly better one for us - same basic specs, but I’d pay $400 for us if it had a better graphics/video card and cpu since we do stream on it and watch vids.

Thanks!
I normally look at refurb.io. Someone posted a link on gtam to another off-lease provider. Camt remember their name though.

Seriously, buy her a tablet. An android tablet if you must, although an apple one will last longer and be more reliable.

We have an 85 YO relative in a nursing home who was working with a windows laptop. The thing was a colossal pain in the ass as it was constantly infected with every drive-by adware / malware that she willingly clicked “OK” on and the last straw was when I found a piece of malware that put her bank account as risk as she used it for banking.

Bought her an iPad. Took her a week to adjust and she absolutely adores it now and the laptop has been collecting dust since.

Bump!

Thanks!
Check out Bauer systems in burlington

If not give me a call and I'll direct you.

Seriously, buy her a tablet. An android tablet if you must, although an apple one will last longer and be more reliable.

We have an 85 YO relative in a nursing home who was working with a windows laptop. The thing was a colossal pain in the ass as it was constantly infected with every drive-by adware / malware that she willingly clicked “OK” on and the last straw was when I found a piece of malware that put her bank account as risk as she used it for banking.

Bought her an iPad. Took her a week to adjust and she absolutely adores it now and the laptop has been collecting dust since.
I disagree. I hate typing on a tablet and she mainly wants this for activities that require typing. The only tablet I have that is completely useless is an ipad. Apple stopped ios updates on it and then apps wpuldnt run without updating which wasnt possible. I have never had that problem with an android tablet (yet). The oldest android tablet I have is a six year old galaxy tab A (~$160 when new) that is still in use daily by the monsters.

I'm going through the same thing with my parents. Need some kind of remotely-managed PC (which can be accessed through the cable-modem FW) which can be wiped free of viruses periodically. I like what I've seen in some Internet cafes, basically the OS is freshly re-installed for each user. Just tell them to turn the PC off and then on, and voila, fresh install, no malware, no viruses, everything running smoothly and quickly again, not bogged down by a hundred background processes that they've inadvertently clicked on and installed...

And also for their smartphones as well... :unsure:

I disagree. I hate typing on a tablet and she mainly wants this for activities that require typing. The only tablet I have that is completely useless is an ipad. Apple stopped ios updates on it and then apps wpuldnt run without updating which wasnt possible. I have never had that problem with an android tablet (yet). The oldest android tablet I have is a six year old galaxy tab A (~$160 when new) that is still in use daily by the monsters.
Where is that coming from, I have a iPad mini 2, with no more system updates and all apps work perfectly fine. Typing is what it is on a tablet.

She only uses it for emails, web browsing and some basic document writing.

Go Chromebook.

They are an incredible value. Especially if she already uses an Android phone as it can also run all the Android apps and will sync with her phone.

Skip the apple garbage and Check out the Lenovo 2n1 that converts to tablet (magnetic detachable keyboard) or works as a traditional laptop.

Lenovo Chromebook Duet | 2 in 1 Chromebook | Lenovo Canada

the reviews don't lie, and you can buy one brand new for cheaper than a "used" laptop as they go on sale quite frequently. All the schools are adopting chromebooks now.

Last edited:
Don't know how comfortable you are with refurbished deals, but Best Buy has some

Too bad you are stuck on the learning curve, but understandable because a Chromebook would fit well, and cheap too.

Tablet is a good option if you had more budget and ability to switch up learn it, my mom never really got windows etc, but when given the ipad she took to it very well (can't keep her off Facebook :rolleyes:)

Where is that coming from, I have a iPad mini 2, with no more system updates and all apps work perfectly fine. Typing is what it is on a tablet.
Original ipad. Apple end of lifed ios updates. Apps like netflix require the latest version to run. Cant install the latest version with the ios on the iPad. It can run safari and not much else now.

If I am typing something (especially document editing) I vastly prefer a keyboard. Obviously we all get by with touchscreen typing, I just find it slower, less accurate and more annoying.

Original ipad. Apple end of lifed ios updates. Apps like netflix require the latest version to run. Cant install the latest version with the ios on the iPad. It can run safari and not much else now.

If I am typing something (especially document editing) I vastly prefer a keyboard. Obviously we all get by with touchscreen typing, I just find it slower, less accurate and more annoying.
Ahh I think I know why now, remembered after I wrote my last post. Now that you mention an older model as well. They cut off 32-bit apps, your model probably falls under this 32-bit hardware cut off. So that is a double wammy for the hardware and OS updates. My mini doesn't have this as it can run 64-bit apps, even though OS updates are no more.

Yeah I hate typing on tablets/phones, it's nonese, there is no finese, even basic copy and pasting stuff is a chore, which can be done with a real keyboard instantly. But typing out a quick email response on the go with a phone, is very helpful.

Yeah I hate typing on tablets/phones, it's nonese, there is no finese, even basic copy and pasting stuff is a chore, which can be done with a real keyboard instantly. But typing out a quick email response on the go with a phone, is very helpful.
Love the stylus on the Note for these tasks.

I use it full time for meeting notes, got a lot of raised eyebrows and a question or two from my boss about it though lol.

Don't know how comfortable you are with refurbished deals, but Best Buy has some

Too bad you are stuck on the learning curve, but understandable because a Chromebook would fit well, and cheap too.
That’s really close to what I have now except I have 8GB of RAM and a 1TB drive. We bought 3 of them for $225 each about 3 years ago.

That would be perfect for her if we go that route.

Thanks for all the other suggestions.
Maybe a Lenovo or a Chromebook for me and I give her my Laptop.

Love the stylus on the Note for these tasks.

I use it full time for meeting notes, got a lot of raised eyebrows and a question or two from my boss about it though lol.
Well I am what you call I guess a greybeard now in the computer world, so I am done learning the new fangled ways.
I used Andorid back in the day, and it was aweful (keyboard, typing, editing), once I switched over to Apple devices it was much better experience, I am sure now they are relatively on par with personal preference the deciding factor.

Well I am what you call I guess a greybeard now in the computer world, so I am done learning the new fangled ways.
I used Andorid back in the day, and it was aweful (keyboard, typing, editing), once I switched over to Apple devices it was much better experience, I am sure now they are relatively on par with personal preference the deciding factor.
iphone is a phone that just works. if you don't like to fiddle with things or customize it then it's the perfect device.

i'm always wanting to change things so i know i'd never be happy with one and again, i'm not a fan of being bullied into their eco system. I note they are finally putting USB-C on their devices, so maybe one day.

Last edited:

its the "locked" in to Apple world that kills the deal for me. I like choice. and Android provides plenty of options.

I was using blackberry (android), now I am using Samsung. I have a choice to use a phone with a stylus (Note) and I love it. Or I could have chosen a million other Android phones at all budget levels. I can shop around to any kind or brand of Chromebook at all price levels. I have CHOICE.

with apple, you are stuck with whatever they ram at you with their fixed prices.

Back
Top Bottom