Near death crash.... should I ride again? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Near death crash.... should I ride again?

If if there was no charges, there was no insurance claim...does it count for the purposes of insurance?

Yes, it still counts as an at-fault collision even if no claim is made.

How your insurance company (or a subsequent insurance company) chooses to treat it with respect to rates going forward is up to the individual insurance companies. Your own insurance company may or may not choose to adjust your rates depending on whether a claim is made or not, or on whether you have first accident forgiveness. Wawanesa for example, does not factor the first at-fault crash in a six-year period into future rates if no claim is made.

However, if you move to a different insurance company, an at-fault crash will usually be considered for rating purposes whether or not a claim was made.

If I had an 18yr. son I wouldn't want him on a bike in any urban areas. So for that reason I couldn't recommend it for any other 18yr. Out in the boonies? Knock yourself out.
Well OP did slide on gravel, which from personal experience is more prevalent in the boonies.

Less traffic in the boonies too so if you are downed and are incapable of calling for help yourself, you might be out there for a while unattended and hopefully still breathing.

Well OP did slide on gravel, which from personal experience is more prevalent in the boonies.

Less traffic in the boonies too so if you are downed and are incapable of calling for help yourself, you might be out there for a while unattended and hopefully still breathing.

I see you've detected a couple flaws in my logic. I will give this a rethink and hopefully be able to provide an iron clad riding protocol. Wait here.

Yes, it still counts as an at-fault collision even if no claim is made.

I think my underlying point was, how would they even know?

If you get in an accident, the police show up and tell you to go get yourself bandaged up at the hospital, your bike is scooped up out of the ditch to be worried about later, and the police do little more than hand you a report number and scratch a few things in their notepads....and no charge is laid...AFAIK there's no automatic chain in this situation that would result in insurance being notified, particularly if there was nobody else involved that could have initiated an insurance claim from their side.

Again, I find it highly improbable in our OP's situation that this could have happened (although we're still waiting for some answers to those questions about charges etc)....but for theoretical purposes it's interesting because of the grey area I see.

I have a retired LEO friend, perhaps I'll ask him for his insight.

I think my underlying point was, how would they even know?

If you get in an accident, the police show up and tell you to go get yourself bandaged up at the hospital, your bike is scooped up out of the ditch to be worried about later, and the police do little more than hand you a report number and scratch a few things in their notepads....and no charge is laid...

Incorrect.
If the officer deems there to be over $1000 vehicle damage or any property damage (including lawns, etc), he is obligated to make a police report about it, even if there is no charge laid. Once your insurance looks into the police reports (they do every couple of years at renewal) they will see the report and raise your rate accordingly for an at-fault accident. Even if there isn't a claim, and no ticket, it is still considered to be an accident. Guy spins out on black ice, no damage to vehicle, but a big piece of city owned land has tire ruts that will need fixing. It's deemed an accident due to property damage, therefore it will reflect on rates.

I never made a claim, I was in contact with my broker while still in the hospital. I cancelled my coverage early and paid the left over money owed. Expecting a terrible rate I emailed him yesterday expecting bad news when I referenced my accident and those were the rates I was given. 2200/year for an R3.

There was no investigation, just an accident report, even though I automatically assumed 100% liability they might have let me go on the fact that there was contractor construction.

In this response, the OP was in contact with the broker.

There is a difference between a claim and a report.

You don't have to make a claim when making telling the broker.

Go ahead and cancel the insurance because you are not riding while recovering.

The issue is, you could come back and report an injury. So they have to report the incident to the insurance company.

Accident forgiveness might be possible.

But someone that is 18 has no more than 2 years driving experience and it's up to the insurance company to determine if they use the information to adjust their rate.

Knowing you cancelled the policy, I'm pretty certain they won't dismiss the report for a new policy.

Again, I know they gave a quote. But the quote is based on what you have provided.

When they review the policy, the report will come up.

I wouldn't bank on the rate staying at $2200.

Insurance companies are not that nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Once your insurance looks into the police reports (they do every couple of years at renewal).

edit: I got clarification from my LEO friend, disregard much of this below, I was missing pieces of the puzzle.

It's my understanding that insurance companies look at two things – your driver abstract, and your autoplus report.

The Autoplus report won't show anything in the case of a non-charged accident with no claim since it only shows claim history and insurance coverage as I understand it.

Your drivers abstract shows convictions, suspensions, and criminal code charges. It does *not* show non-charged police issues, aka "police reports". Again, this is based on my experience with drivers abstracts - in my line of work I've seen lots of them and they don't contain every nitty gritty detail about police involvement, they show the nuts and bolts - tickets, suspensions, points, licence class. They don't show "Got pulled over because he had a headlight out, no ticket just a friendly reminder" type things.

Heres some one interesting reading on what your abstract shows.

https://www.insurancehotline.com/checking-your-driving-record-in-ontario/

Yes, insurers typically only run your abstract every few years (although they WILL run it immediately for new business obviously) but again, it doesn't show everything.

It's entirely possible I'm wrong (hey, I'm just throwing jello at the wall here), however I still don't see how they would become aware of an accident in which the officer used his discretion to lay no charge, and no criminal code charges were laid that would reflect on the abstract regardless.

The only exception to this could possibly be the "Restricted" abstract mentioned in the above link. It's unclear if insurers have access to this however, at which point without doubt such police incidents would be listed

Ill see see if I can get an answer purely for curiosities sake now.

Last edited:
I just spoke to my afforementioned LEO friend. As I suspected I was missing a big piece of the puzzle – insurers apparently do have access to both collision reporting center reports as well as being able to request accident records files.

That clears up the grey area for me.

So yes, OP.. As others have suggested I suspect you're in for a rude awakening when you get beyond the quote stage for new insurance, they will see the accident there whether you choose to disclose it or not, and the price they're giving you now is almost certainly not going to be the one you get presented with before they are willing to write the policy. If they're even willing to write it after the fact.

Best disclose it upfront and see what the new numbers are. As others have also mentioned, that's apt to be the deciding factor for you more than anything else.

I talked to my broker, double checked the if the quote factored in the accident. He said if you don't make a claim then the rate won't increase. So it seems like I lucked out with the whole insurance thing.

Over forty years, bro - that's not bad heheh.

Over 30 years on the street and I had 1 non fault collision, so 12 in 40 is pretty bad.

Meh you're 18. You still have many years of stupid **** to do even without a bike. Just get the bike. If anything you are better aware of the consequences and will be a better rider for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Not much, shorts and a tshirt? I know I should be riding with all the gear all the time blah blah blah, I was cruising around to a buddies house though, you know?

Gear wouldn't have done anything though, unless I had extremely good padding on the side of my leg. It was the right handlebar that hit my stomach.

I was gonna post a warm I feel you buddy shpiel for you, but after reading this part I said nah, not worth it.

A jacket could've absorbed the impact on your stomach better and you'd still be able to fight infections as usual. No brand of pants would've saved the broken leg but definitely road rash (how bad was it, coz you got some for sure)

Cruising around? Shorts and T-shirt? tough lesson you learnt here.

I say keep riding but now you know better what not to do. And definitely get more rider training.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP I am extremely busy so I haven't gone through all the posts in here. I am assuming you filed an insurance claim. Talk to your family doctor he will be able to provide you a list of Physcologist who are experienced in dealing with people who have suffered a collision. Yes your heling physically, (as per your first post), but you also need to get your head in the game to again become a confident rider. The insurer will cover the cost of the treatment, (your therapist will submit a treatment plan to the insurer), they will send you to their own therapist for evaluation. Be honest about your thoughts and if your having trouble sleeping. go back and drive that corner where you crashed see if you have ANY reactions.

Good luck

I guess I don't need to google mangina.

Isn't one of the first questions that the insurance company asks: How many at fault accidents were you in, in the last xxx years?

Can't they use an incorrect answer to deny a claim?

Back
Top Bottom