Naked Sportbikes | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Naked Sportbikes

If you have the money, the BMW S1000R, the Aprilia Tuono 1100 (R or Factory) and KTM 1290 Super Duke are the cream of the crop. If track time is your thing, the Aprilia is definitely the cream of those three, and if very tight back roads are your thing, the Super Duke is. If you like big power but aren't about "character", the S1000R is a good choice.

Everything below that level is a great bike: Z1000, Speed Triple, Street Triple, GSX 1000, FZ-09, et al and you will enjoy it. But the three bikes above? Maybe the best sporting bikes ever made, better IMHO than any faired superbike for the majority of people.

And I'll probably take flack for it, but in the case of the Tuono, the v-twin options are now under $7000 for an ohlins-suspended 140hp twin (lightly used) and the 1000cc V4 versions have just lost a substantial amount of value with the 1077cc version hitting the market with more power and more refinement (but perhaps less hardcore cred?) so there's also that to consider. The BMW and KTM are only a year old, so no deprecated versions are available.

I'd shy away from the EBR even if they sell for under cost. :(

I never ride with a fairing. Can't stand 'em. I took the fairing off my old 650 Seca because it was like driving with a bus in the way. No fairing on my Harley either. I like this new naked bike trend. Gets back to the days when men were men. None of this candy-arse wallet-biker poser nonsense.

Wind doesn't bother me on a naked. I actually like it at high speed when touring. The wind pressure takes a load off the core muscles. Just ride fast and lean into the wind, supports you. All the whining about wind, really? Maybe it's the dudes that ride in t-shirts that are moaning about wind.

Does anyone have experience with the MkII Tuono, the older V-twin model?

I sold an F4i a few years ago and am looking to pick up a naked this year. I've been looking at the 2007ish Tuonos and there's something about them that's quite appealing. I was originally looking at Street Triples, but used MkII Tuonos seem to offer much better value.

I'm hesitant in purchasing an Aprilia considering their lack of dealer support in Ontario, and potential reliability issues. Any thoughts on this or input from Aprilia/Tuono owners?

Insurance might also be a killer, as TD seems to want SS litre-bike money, although that's probably justified considering the performance.

Does anyone have experience with the MkII Tuono, the older V-twin model?

I have one. It's been the bike I've owned the longest, have no desire to sell it and it's also been the most reliable bike I've ever owned. YMMV. They're great bikes and the v-twin is endlessly entertaining. The 2007+ bikes have a number of fixes for small issues that the older ones had (weak sprag clutch on the starter is one). Just finished up a 100km ride on mine a few minutes ago in fact.

I am not the only one that feels this way, George @ Corsa has told me several times now that he can't make owners trade in their V60 bikes for the new Tuono V4R because they like them too much. Add my name to the list. The extra power, a bit better handling and smaller size of the new bike somehow don't make it any more enjoyable to ride on public roads, the V60 can be raucus and belligerent but also smooth if you want it to be. At speed, the bike feels practically weightless (that feeling goes away at the track and reminds you it's a mid-2000s litre bike, but it's still VERY good). The suspension is good too... Sachs for the R and magic carpet Ohlins for the Factory version. At 25K the shock is just starting to tire a little on my bike, which is commendable since my GSXR shocks were all worn out at this age and milage. Keep the fork oil fresh and the forks are excellent as well.

It has some minor quirks. Main one is that some people have had issues with particular power cable connectors getting hot and even melting. There is a relatively simple fix for it but it is in fact not a design flaw so much as that people power-wash their bikes and get water into the connector housing. I don't ever power-wash my bikes, in fact I mostly just wipe them down with a dampened rag, sometimes with a little soap in it if there is any sort of oil film on the bike. Ergo, I have had no issues. The brakes are ferocious and take a bit of getting used to. There is a "race" map (Map 2) available that improves the fuelling of the bike in all circumstances. They need semi-regular throttle body balancing - perhaps every 20k, because they tend to start rev-hunting at lower RPMs which progresses up the tach over time as they are more out of sync.. and the dealerships sometimes try and cut their time by not using the exhaust tap as per the Rotax documentation. If they didn't remove your exhaust bung and tap the exhaust gas there, then they didn't properly do a balance. This is important on this bike because the throttle response and rev-hunting could lead someone to think there is a major mechanical flaw in the bike - in fact it's a relatively simple thing to fix. I have had GSX-Rs also go out of sync in this amount of time, it's not a flaw of the bike, but it does react to it noticably being a big twin. Some people have had moisture get into the instrument cluster and over time, it's caused the cluster to fog a bit, and mine is slowly developing this issue - the fix is to disassemble it, clean it and reseal it... again not a big deal but I am doing my best to relate any quirk.

Not much else to say, I really haven't had a moment's issue with my bike. The one and only thing I had a problem with that wasn't my fault (I crashed it on black ice in 2013) was that a case screw backed off a bit and caused a very slow coolant weep. A quick tighten and it's been fine since, and this is a semi-common issue with ALL big twins, they will on occasion loosen a bolt off somewhere because of the nature of the engine.

Oh, also don't be worried if the engines seem a little noisy. The clutch is a bit noisy by design and the engine has a system in it to lower the amount of back torque when you let off the throttle quickly, like a slipper clutch system but mechanical. That system makes a little noise and people mistake it for an issue, but they do it right out of the factory. There are also two heads, four cams and a long camchain like any v-twin or v-four. Really it's another part of the bike's charm, you always know that there is a machine underneath you and it's doing mechanical things...

The way the bike comes off corners and grips like a politician to a pension is glorious and the way you can slide the bike with confidence lacking in a bike with supersport bars... it's a joy to ride the V60 every time I take it out. Don't care that it's only a bit quicker than a modern 600, the way the bike feels is worth taking the Tuono keys to the garage every time. I still like it better than my RSV4 most days. Especially at night... best lights on a sporting bike ever.

Last edited:
PS I might regret this, but here's a video from last year out on my Tuono. You can't so much tell from the video footage but I was on two-year-old Q2 tires with a lot of heat cycles and 4500km on them, so the bike was sliding sideways at both ends in some of the corners. But like I said, you can do it on the bike, the bars and chassis make it possible in a way you can't do on a supersport bike. I was always just messing around so don't expect anything too serious.

[video=youtube;19jE2t2Vxqg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19jE2t2Vxqg[/video]

PS I might regret this, but here's a video from last year out on my Tuono. You can't so much tell from the video footage but I was on two-year-old Q2 tires with a lot of heat cycles and 4500km on them, so the bike was sliding sideways at both ends in some of the corners. But like I said, you can do it on the bike, the bars and chassis make it possible in a way you can't do on a supersport bike. I was always just messing around so don't expect anything too serious.
The first left hander, are you taking it that tight to the turtle because of the type of bike or is that your regular line. I am asking because I tent to also take it tight but when I watch others racers (fast ones) they stay on the outside and then cut in.

I feel with your line you have to brake earlier and lose some speed having to bring it back around left hard to set up for the next turn.

Not sure if that makes sense. I only raced once there and one track day, so I am trying to learn the ideal lines still.

I followed tricked but I was still learning the track on a cold morning and I couldn't really get up to speed until that afternoon so I couldn't take advantage of following him too much.

Last edited:
It makes plenty of sense. I have a few different lines I use. On the 600 I try to maximise corner entry speed, usually near redline in third and go to maintenance throttle in third or shortshift to fourth before I enter so that I can pour on the power again as soon as I can stand the bike up a bit. This way I can run up to fifth to corner two or let the bike just run out of revs in fourth. There is subtle camber in the corner, you see, so you want to get in close to the rumble strip at some point and then power out at full throttle from the apex, carrying as much speed as you can. If you get it right, you'll be at nearly full lock and sliding out to the edge of the track with some power left to spare if you chose the right gear for your corner speed. Shouldn't take long to figure it out.

That said... it's a mind-@#$% to do it because the bike really will be near full-lock coming out of the corner and sliding both ends. I asked Dan LeBlanc about how he does it and that's how he does it too. At Shannonville, fast is loose at least on a GSX-R. There's an old saying for corner one, and I know it gets used a lot, but "don't brake until you see God" is definitely this corner's mantra. You shouldn't be braking in a straight line on a 600 unless yours is a lot quicker than mine, you should be settling the nose with just a touch of trail brake as you enter. Watching Nesbitt and Casas go through there last fall at a clip no other amateur was close to, they were both doing roughly the same thing.

The line also works for the Pro track, but you have to gather up the bike at the apex and hit your mark for 2, which feels awesome until the bike hits the slight negative camber on the exit of two and tries to go sideways on you. Anyone remember Crevier crashing there multiple times on the Buell one weekend? He'd lose front end grip on the bump entering two and then lose it entirely at the exit trying to recover. He gifted his broken Buell fairings to Gauthier... it wasn't taken well... I find that the key to Pro corner 2 is to steer into the negative camber a bit and let the bike settle with the gas on full. The downside to that is that the 1000 will sometimes shake its head and saw the rear through that corner, it's weird but both of my modified GSX-Rs have done it, and going over the pavement seam where LT corner seven exits can unsettle the 1000 pretty badly.

So anyway, that's the inside line for corner one.

On the 1000 I try to enter the corner a little wider and a little slower and try to turn the bike quickly so that I more or less ignore the apex and get back on the gas as soon as I can. Right or wrong, I've tried it both ways and this seems to work better for the 1000. Mine, at least, stands a good chance at highsiding you if you use the same tactic as I do the 600, or I have to get on the gas later than I'd like. That said, I see a lot of pro superbike riders hugging the inside as well. Try before you buy?!

Every now and then I hit a magic line that seems wrong but always punts me up to #2 without drama and just as fast as any other way. Be damned if I can recreate it consistently.

So, why was I taking that inside line on the Tuono? Because I was nowhere near race speed what with the old Q2s on it and all the sliding it was doing everywhere, so I just took the 600 line, made use of the camber and then powered out with a bit of drift. The big-bang 60 degree twin really does grip when accelerating, so I made use of that and let the rear steer the bike a bit out of the corner. I'd have to try and turn the bike too suddenly at turn-in for those old tires to take the 1000cc line, which, I find, requires a bit of trailbrake to settle the front end and shorten up geometry for that line. It's a dance getting it right and I confess that I don't always seem to be consistent, but then when I'm doing track days I like to mess with different lines anyway and see how they work. On a race day I'd pick what seems to be working and finesse it at most.

Hope there's something that works for you in all that.

Last edited:
The most fun I have had in turn 1 was full throttle through it in 6th gear... on a 250 lol. Small bike but you get the roller coaster sensation and have to fight against the feeling of wanting to close the throttle.

Ok so as i suspected it I am probably losing a crap load of time with my 1000 by not staying outside and cutting in. Any perspective from other riders always helps.

Turn 2 on Pro is a *****.... I went weed whacking during a race by turning in too early, thankfully I kept it up and was able to get back taking a portion of long track into 3...but when you get it right is fun.

I like Shannonville a lot.

Last edited:
One thing worth considering too... since the repave, there is less camber in corner one. Throttling out doesn't unsettle the bike as much as it did, so definitely experiment with lines there. I myself have only been on Shannonville a handful of times with the new pavement.

There's always drama from 1 to 2 on long track with a superbike.

Pro 2 takes a bit of work to figure out, it's easy to get sucked into turning in too early. It's weird. I need a track map to explain it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can get fly screen's for most. They break the wind nicely and you can buy all different heights

There's always drama from 1 to 2 on long track with a superbike.

Pro 2 takes a bit of work to figure out, it's easy to get sucked into turning in too early. It's weird. I need a track map to explain it properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly, that's what I did and then had nowhere to go but straight and into the bush, thankfully the non paved areas around turn 2 (PRO) and the right hander after the back straight are fairly even and you can ride them through at high speed. Suspension wasn't helping me neither but when you and Derrick recommended the 3 clicks, that basically solved a lot of my issues.

Anyways. sorry OP for the derailment.

I never ride with a fairing. Can't stand 'em. I took the fairing off my old 650 Seca because it was like driving with a bus in the way. No fairing on my Harley either. I like this new naked bike trend. Gets back to the days when men were men. None of this candy-arse wallet-biker poser nonsense.

Overly+manly+man+hes+so+manly_f229d1_4903015.jpg

If I were in the market for a naked bike, the Z1000 would top my list. IMO it has amazing power, great handling, very comfortable and I actually really like the way the new ones look. For a bike to stomp around on for day trips and maybe an over nighter, I think its a tough bike to beat.

..and it won't break and cost you bazillions in maintenance.

Best bike I rode last summer on demo days, although the rear shock was a mess, far too stiff. Turns out it has a progressive spring and adding some pre-load fixes the issue for some bizarre reason.

There is a '12 demo bike on sale at Grand river, they can't sell it for some reason. Insurance is cheaper than most litre bikes.

Having gone from SS to Naked, I can agree that 130-140+ can get fatiguing. If you regularly do high-speed highway riding for long durations, it will be noticeable compared to a SS. Good core workout! For around town and back road riding, there's no issues.

You can get fly screen's for most. They break the wind nicely and you can buy all different heights

A fly screen with a small lip can make a huge difference.

The Yamaha MT01 has surprisingly little wind buffeting, i think due to the high tank and large headlight.

The wind is the biggest different, anything above 145km/h is not very enjoyable. It's like a built-in speed limiter.
Very very true. I miss a fairing bike on highways and long hauls.

Back
Top Bottom