MTO response to single rider HOV request | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MTO response to single rider HOV request

4 minivans will carry the same amount of people as 10 motorcycles with passenger. It will have less emission too. Less vehicle less risk as well

How many minivans actually carry those said 6-7 passengers? Damn HOV rules should be changed to allow riders on them.

And how many times in Ontario, do you see vehicles in rush hour with every seat occupied? It's rare to see more than one person in a vehicle, and if there is, then typically it is 2-3 (with 3 being typically 2 parents and a child).

If the HOV/HOT lanes are here to stay, then I think they should let us (motorcycles) in it, and leave it up to us to choose if we want to use them or not. Honestly I feel safer in one of the outside lanes, so if traffic is flowing I'd prefer the HOV, but if there is a big disparity between HOV and normal lanes, then I'd probably stay out of the HOV lanes vs risk someone making an abrupt lane change into me.

Also, if we do only account for 3% of registered vehicles, and most of us don't ride daily (as we have a car or transit to work), and the fact that we really only ride 1/2 to 3/4 of the year, any negative impact to the HOV lanes in terms of added vehicles would be negligible. It would also make things less confusing when we have differing rules between the DVP and Gardiner and the 400 series, although in doing that, they'd probably lower tickets and therefore lower their revenue stream.
Definitely noticed a difference in ppl car pooling since the introduction of hov lanes. The hov lanes now on the dvp since the reduction to 2 ppl are much more crowded.

Since bikes use stagger formation as per the motorcycle safety guidebook, essentially you can double the number of bikes per space as opposed to vehicles, even with proper following distances. So you end up with half the space for 10 motorcycles vs 10 minivans.

Except that there are not that many motorcycles out on the road to pair up during commute times when the need to reduce vehicle counts is highest. The majority of the motorcycles out there during commute times are travelling alone and are not doing group rides, so there would be no savings due to stagger formation.

Most cars travelling during rush hour has a single driver

Except that there are not that many motorcycles out on the road to pair up during commute times when the need to reduce vehicle counts is highest. The majority of the motorcycles out there during commute times are travelling alone and are not doing group rides, so there would be no savings due to stagger formation.

Nice spin, but it doesn't pass the smell test. It wasn't about a general statement of "out on the road". The original question specifically said on the 401, and then subsequently added a further description of "in the same space".

Rush hour on 401. If you have 10 minivans vs 10 motorcycles in the same space. Which one is more cluttered?

Last edited:
Nice spin, but it doesn't pass the smell test. It wasn't about a general statement of "out on the road". The original question specifically said on the 401, and then subsequently added a further description of "in the same space".

Ok, change it to out on the 401. There are very few motorcycles out on the 401 during the usual commute times, so any potential savings due to stagger formation simply are not there.

Then you have the preference often-mentioned here that unless you know the other rider and their riding abilities, you simply want to have them follow you at the normal following distance expected from cars, and to not have them ride in closer formation with you.

Was nice when the Games were in town and the DVP had a HOV lane. Was a breeze to get downtown. Just gotta watch the cages and maybe use the left track more than the blocking position.

Da fuq. Douggie is thinking about doing this. If it happens, be very very careful. The high closing speeds and ahole drivers will make this one of the most dangerous riding scenarios we have in Ontario.

Single-rider motorcycles could soon use HOV lanes in Ontario: government
This is true - HOV lanes are dangerous because of lousy drivers. I use the HOV lane on HW7 daily, it's the rightmost lane between Kennedy and Warden. It is downright dangerous. First off, the adjacent lanes are often stopped and the HOV lane wide open to run at posted 70KMH, frustrated drivers regularly dart into the lane to cheat their way through - they do this from a stop without regard for incoming vehicles. Unless I'm following a cage, I'll only run past stopped cars at 40. Second, cars entering HWY7 treat the HOV as a ramping lane, they turn onto the hwy and occupy that lane until they can squeeze into traffic (or they simply cheat it out). Again, they have little respect for oncoming HOV lane traffic.

This is true - HOV lanes are dangerous because of lousy drivers. I use the HOV lane on HW7 daily, it's the rightmost lane between Kennedy and Warden. It is downright dangerous. First off, the adjacent lanes are often stopped and the HOV lane wide open to run at posted 70KMH, frustrated drivers regularly dart into the lane to cheat their way through - they do this from a stop without regard for incoming vehicles. Unless I'm following a cage, I'll only run past stopped cars at 40. Second, cars entering HWY7 treat the HOV as a ramping lane, they turn onto the hwy and occupy that lane until they can squeeze into traffic (or they simply cheat it out). Again, they have little respect for oncoming HOV lane traffic.
I would love it if they put those tall flappy plastic paddles between the HOV lane and normal traffic. In actual emergencies, you can drive through them but they would stop most people from just crashing though them to get a few car lengths. Unfortunately, as we are trying to stop vehicles moving very slowly, they would need a million of them as they would need to be spaced at <10' instead of the more typical ~50'.

I wanna see cops on little KTM hooligan bikes like they do in Europe. Those guys filter, cross medians, and do all kinds of urban moves that Ride the Sixers would be proud of. They could catch their limit in HOV cheaters, and those who have trained themselves in self-cosmetology and updating Facebook while driving.

I would love it if they put those tall flappy plastic paddles between the HOV lane and normal traffic. In actual emergencies, you can drive through them but they would stop most people from just crashing though them to get a few car lengths. Unfortunately, as we are trying to stop vehicles moving very slowly, they would need a million of them as they would need to be spaced at <10' instead of the more typical ~50'.
How about just installing a cheap row of tire spikes?

"Now, if the City of Toronto would just follow through on its promise to allow lane filtering — lane splitting to us motorcyclists — in the GTA, the entire province might actually become biker-friendly."

When were we promised lane filtering/splitting?

We weren’t, but city council is supposed to be sponsoring a study on filtering.

Back
Top Bottom