Motorcycle Parking Fees Recommended without Notice or Public Consultation | Page 37 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Parking Fees Recommended without Notice or Public Consultation

This is terrible. It's the first step in making them not-free. Some day they'll decide "Hey, why don't we install meters here, too!?" and all of a sudden the last reason I would ever have to visit the detestable craphole that Toronto is would be taken away.

interesting.. 300 spots? scattered around? Theres probably about 50 bikes alone on Simcoe and Pearl Sts..!

wasn't 300 spots what was suggested for the "trial" of the new system?

wasn't 300 spots what was suggested for the "trial" of the new system?

ah yes. lets see how it goes through the winter eh? ;-)

Pavement markings will mark the free spots, which is hoped will encourage bikers and scooter owners to not park illegally on streets and sidewalks.

When it free to park on the street..... Where are they parking illegally...or is it the scooters?

Occasionally I'll see a motorcycle parked on the sidewalk. Ontarians seem to have this irrational hatred of motor vehicles. Motorcycles (I'm thinking sportbikes, here, not your 600 ton Goldwing) aren't that much larger than bicycles, yet it's illegal to park them on the sidewalk, even if they were pushed there instead of driven/ridden on the sidewalk. But for bicycles, it's "ok". What, truly, is the difference between the two? Your bicycle has torque applied to the shaft which rotates the wheel by way of your quadriceps, while my motorcycle has the same torque applied to its axle by a rotating metal mechanism. They occupy roughly the same space on the sidewalk, or anywhere else, and there exist bicycles that can occupy more physical space than some motorcycles do. Same argument goes for usage of bike lanes.

Anything the bicycle can do, the motorcycle can do, yet only the bicycle is allowed to take advantage of certain facilities, while motorcycles are punished.

Stupid Ontario, do you do anything right? If so, I have yet to see evidence of it.

Occasionally I'll see a motorcycle parked on the sidewalk. Ontarians seem to have this irrational hatred of motor vehicles. Motorcycles (I'm thinking sportbikes, here, not your 600 ton Goldwing) aren't that much larger than bicycles, yet it's illegal to park them on the sidewalk, even if they were pushed there instead of driven/ridden on the sidewalk. But for bicycles, it's "ok". What, truly, is the difference between the two? Your bicycle has torque applied to the shaft which rotates the wheel by way of your quadriceps, while my motorcycle has the same torque applied to its axle by a rotating metal mechanism. They occupy roughly the same space on the sidewalk, or anywhere else, and there exist bicycles that can occupy more physical space than some motorcycles do. Same argument goes for usage of bike lanes.

Anything the bicycle can do, the motorcycle can do, yet only the bicycle is allowed to take advantage of certain facilities, while motorcycles are punished.

Stupid Ontario, do you do anything right? If so, I have yet to see evidence of it.

You can fit a half dozen bicycles in the same space as a motorcycle. Motorcycles are motor vehicles, not bicycles. They belong on the road and in parking spaces. The same applies to scooters.

Bicycle lanes are to provide safety from motor vehicles. Allowing motor vehicles in bicycle lanes defeats the purpose.

Motorcycle and scooter riders need to understand that they aren't special.

You exemplify what I speak of exactly.

Bicycle riders need to understand that they aren't special, too, then, by symmetry.

You exemplify what I speak of exactly.

Bicycle riders need to understand that they aren't special, too, then, by symmetry.

And you are showing the sort of "sour grapes" mentality that is exemplified by far too many riders. They get to do something that we don't, by law. Get over it. Cyclists are even more vulnerable than are we. Their vehicles are a step above pedestrian. They need to follow the rules that apply to them, but those rules are different from the ones that apply to us.

They get to do something that we don't, by law. Get over it.

Excellent point. I'll be sure to pass that along to all the Jews killed in the 1940s Europe by virtue of "the law".

lol didn't see that one coming

Ok, next time I'll use a more obscure reference that requires further wasted time in explanation. You would prefer a Sharia Law reference instead? Maybe a witch trial law from the 1700s? There is a large pool of counterarguments to the "obey the law cause it's the law and get over it" argument, all throughout history.

Ok, next time I'll use a more obscure reference that requires further wasted time in explanation. You would prefer a Sharia Law reference instead? Maybe a witch trial law from the 1700s? There is a large pool of counterarguments to the "obey the law cause it's the law and get over it" argument, all throughout history.

What I would prefer is something that's somewhat in scale with the discussion, rather than absurd and ridiculous amplifications. I can't recall seeing motorcyclists being gathered up and marched to mass slaughter, any time in the recent past.

As I stated there is little to no equivalence between the two forms of transportation, and the reasons for the laws we have are rather good.

Ok, I'll bite this one:

If on the sidewalk I park half a dozen plus one bicycles (which now take up more space than one motorcycle/scooter, or whatever equivalent), I don't get a ticket.
If on the sidewalk I park one large bicycle that takes up more space than one motorcycle/scooter, or whatever equivalent), I don't get a ticket.
If on the sidewalk I park a motorcycle (or scooter, or whatever equivalent) that doesn't have an engine, it's technically not a motor vehicle, and I don't get a ticket.
If on the sidewalk I park a motorcycle (or scooter, or whatever equivalent) that DOES have a engine, by pushing it there under my own manpower, since its engine was off the whole time, I do get a ticket.

I await an excellent counterargument from physics that shows why this makes sense.

Last edited:
Ok, I'll bite this one:

If on the sidewalk I park half a dozen plus one bicycles (which now take up more space than one motorcycle/scooter, or whatever equivalent), I don't get a ticket.
If on the sidewalk I park one large bicycle that takes up more space than one motorcycle/scooter, or whatever equivalent), I don't get a ticket.
If on the sidewalk I park a motorcycle (or scooter, or whatever equivalent) that doesn't have an engine, it's technically not a motor vehicle, and I don't get a ticket.
If on the sidewalk I park a motorcycle (or scooter, or whatever equivalent) that DOES have a engine, by pushing it there under my own manpower, since its engine was off the whole time, I do get a ticket.

I await an excellent counterargument from physics that shows why this makes sense.

Im with Viper and I think that you should be allowed to park cars on the sidewalk too where there is space to allow it. If one motorcycle is allowed to park on the sidewalk if it doesnt interfere with anyone, it only makes sense that I can park my cars up on it too. None of them are in the way!

Free parking for my car at the foot of my building! All I need to do is make sure I wedge it right up against the glass.

Because its still a motorcycle? With an engine?

Im with Viper and I think that you should be allowed to park cars on the sidewalk too where there is space to allow it. If one motorcycle is allowed to park on the sidewalk if it doesnt interfere with anyone, it only makes sense that I can park my cars up on it too. None of them are in the way!

Free parking for my car at the foot of my building! All I need to do is make sure I wedge it right up against the glass.

Yes, that's called a parking lot. Sidewalks happen not to be as accommodating to vehicles the size of cars, but are accommodating to vehicles the size of bicycles, and motorcycles/scooters, or whatever equivalents, or half-a-dozen-plus-one bicycles just the same.

[Edit 1]
The city of Melbourne, Australia allows motorcycles/etc to park on sidewalks. Nobody's dying there as a result.
http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/Par...king/WhereToPark/Pages/Motorcycleparking.aspx
Golly gosh, look at that, some progress is being made somewhere out there. That place isn't Ontario, that's for sure.

[Edit 2]
Denver sorta-kinda allows it, regardless of the size of your vehicle. As long as the vacuum of your engine does not exceed a volume of 50 cc
http://www.downtowndenver.com/getting-around/driving-and-parking
Well, it's a start. Better than Ontario, again

Most of Europe allows this. Ontario? Nope. Too progressive. Too forward-thinking. It defies the Canadian mentality of ensuring nobody is allowed to have any fun, or come up with any sort of good idea without 9.99x10^999999 people prohibiting it for useless reasons they don't even understand.

Last edited:
If viper wants equality between motorcycles and bicycles, I wonder how he'd feel about motorcycles not being allowed on 400 series highways?

Back
Top Bottom