Motorcycle math: Can you choose a motorcycle by the numbers? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle math: Can you choose a motorcycle by the numbers?

Could you choose your spouse the same way and be happy? I think not.

Someone once told me that if you consider a person a friend because they meet a specific criteria they are an acquaintance not a friend. Bikes are somewhat similar.

A truly happy owner has a harem of bikes.

For anybody who didn't read the article: it is not seriously proposing choosing a bike based on spreadsheet math. Instead it is simply talking about different ways of quantifying value, and power. It is an offseason sort of article, it wasn't a horrible read.

For anybody who didn't read the article: it is not seriously proposing choosing a bike based on spreadsheet math. Instead it is simply talking about different ways of quantifying value, and power. It is an offseason sort of article, it wasn't a horrible read.

I actually read the entire article and didn't like it at all.

Cost per cc and cost per torque/hp are ridiculous metrics.

When you purchase a motorcycle, you're not just buying an engine. The purchase price also includes suspension, chassis, brakes, electronics, not to mention the soft costs like warranty, marketing and brand cachet.

Spread-sheeting engine stats to MSRP without discounting or separating out whether the bikes in question are using top-shelf Ohlins and Brembos vs cheaper in-house suspension and brake parts renders this comparison meaningless.

IMO, it's a dumb article.

Let's not forget WHO this article was written for... people that don't know bikes.
I don't buy bikes for HP, or torque ratings, whether or not it has bling parts... I buy a bike for how it rides. I have enough experience in bikes to KNOW what I want.
This article, in my opinion, is written for people that don't know bikes, that need help in deciphering what the bike's advertisements are trying to tell them
If you KNOW bikes, go talk to a SALESMAN, and let them try to SELL you a bike, say the least you can, let them SELL... it can get quite funny

Back
Top Bottom