Motorcycle Lean Angles Explained - MotoGP vs. WSBK | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Lean Angles Explained - MotoGP vs. WSBK

Grabs popcorn. Gotta love how GTAM can turn a simple post explaining lean angles into a pissing match over who can use the fanciest physics word.

Agreed... and even better is that at least one of them has some impressive credentials as I think he is a Chem prof at Queens U (although I could be mistaken).

The use of the word fictitious in the discussion of forces does not mean the same as "a work of fiction" or "a product of fantasy" in the literary sense. Fictitious means it can exist in a certain frame of reference, and possibly not in another frame of reference. Centrifugal forces exist in an inertial frame of reference but do not exist in a stationary frame of reference.

A centrifugal force is mathematically fictitious because it's an internal force. It can't be used during kinematic or dynamic analysis.

Centrifugal forces are not germane to discussing lean angle, CofG, cornering speed, etc.

A centrifugal force is mathematically fictitious because it's an internal force. It can't be used during kinematic or dynamic analysis.

Centrifugal forces are not germane to discussing lean angle, CofG, cornering speed, etc.
I know some of these words

I know some of these words
Me too! Unfortunately they are: lean, angle, are, too...

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

There is no such thing as centrifugal force. There is only centripetal. And while you may brush aside the kinematics of what's going on by using simple words like leaning, the equations and mechanics are anything but.

Here I was thinking I was one of the only people out there that knew this. I always try to correct people when they say Centrifugal instead of Centripetal

Obviously! But how many torques does it take for a plane to take off on a conveyor belt runway that's moving at takeoff speed?

centrifugal_force.png

Back
Top Bottom