Motorcycle industry is in deep trouble and needs help fast | Page 19 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle industry is in deep trouble and needs help fast

The motorcycle industry is just like any other.

There are products available for all price points. New bikes come in all shapes, sizes and configurations, ranging from $5,000 to $50,000. Just because you and your friends won't spend $20K on a motorcycle, doesn't mean nobody will.

Exactly!

lots of people out there willing to spend 80K+ on a Superlaggera or the HP4. someone has to buy new $20k+ bikes in order for them to end up on kijiji one day....these people are willing to pay the premium for a new bike, with new technology, they use it for a number of years and upgrade before there is a need for maintenance, or repairs, or they just want a bike that no one else touched before.
the fact that there is a demand for limited edition bikes in the 80k range, and that a fully decked out Harley _______Glide CVO is around 50k when you get it out the door makes me doubt that the industry is in any trouble.

Was at the bike show yesterday and it was packed, product is flying off the racks, people walking around with cash burning a hole in their pocket, parking lots are bursting at the seams, salami and club cuts as far as the eye can see..............I call fake news on the original article

lots of people out there willing to spend 80K+ on a Superlaggera or the HP4. someone has to buy new $20k+ bikes in order for them to end up on kijiji one day....these people are willing to pay the premium for a new bike, with new technology, they use it for a number of years and upgrade before there is a need for maintenance, or repairs, or they just want a bike that no one else touched before.

Also the $20K bikes are halo models to get buyers excited and recruited into the brand. Dream about the R1200GS Adventure, but end up buying a G310GS. Then maybe when it's time to upgrade, get a F800GS. A few years later, the guy that claims he'll never buy a $20K motorcycle has a better paying job and there's a brand new R12GSADV sitting in his garage.

That's how the crack pipe works.

the fact that there is a demand for limited edition bikes in the 80k range, and that a fully decked out Harley _______Glide CVO is around 50k when you get it out the door makes me doubt that the industry is in any trouble.

Was at the bike show yesterday and it was packed, product is flying off the racks, people walking around with cash burning a hole in their pocket, parking lots are bursting at the seams, salami and club cuts as far as the eye can see..............I call fake news on the original article

OP is stupid and doesn't know sh*t! :evil1: :evil4:

And I pay higher because my husband doesn't have his M, or have to sign a waiver stating he will not go near the bikes.

I get a bit of a multi-vehicle discount when I have 2+ 4 wheel vehicles on the road , but not enough to make it a deal breaker when you look at coverage/company satisfaction with claims. Last time I did this it was $150/yr difference, but TD was a nightmare compared to SF. Not worth it.

Last time I added another streetbike to my policy it was $246/yr extra (2 2w on the road) . The rules are not in place to switch machines mid policy, and that sucks. However it's not as expensive as it seems, especially if you sign that exclusion paper.

A friend in the USA (Yeah apples to apples) insures three bikes but one doesn't even run. The multi discount makes it cheaper to insure three than two. Crazy!

Personally, I have an insurmountable mental barrier to spending $20K or more on a motorcycle. I simply WON'T do it. While at the show I overheard a number of conversations that shared that point of view. In some cases they were talking about buying late model used as opposed to new, in some cases it was that the technology was "nice to have" but not worth it in the grand scheme, and in other cases it was why spend so much on this when I can do the same ride, or type of ride on something that's thousands less?

I can't do this either lol

I got my 08 GSXR750 for $7500. It was tuned by Z1, and a fully system. How the hell am I gonna beat this value buying new?

油井緋色;2541380 said:
I can't do this either lol

I got my 08 GSXR750 for $7500. It was tuned by Z1, and a fully system. How the hell am I gonna beat this value buying new?

what value??? you're comparing apples and French ticklers

the 08 GSXR will be lost era legal in 2 years, Zaid is a respectable tuner, but that by no means means that your 08 GSXR is comparable to a modern $20k bike

actually it is....the industry doesnt want you to think that though
Agreed. Especially for everyday street use.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

what value??? you're comparing apples and French ticklers

the 08 GSXR will be lost era legal in 2 years, Zaid is a respectable tuner, but that by no means means that your 08 GSXR is comparable to a modern $20k bike

My bad. I didn't clarify a few things. I bought said bike back in 2013 or so; new bikes would've still cost 2x-2.5x.

Other thing is I am, personally, no where near capable of utilizing nearly every used supersport/superbike to it's maximum potential...so why buy something new/better?

油井緋色;2541397 said:
My bad. I didn't clarify a few things. I bought said bike back in 2013 or so; new bikes would've still cost 2x-2.5x.

Other thing is I am, personally, no where near capable of utilizing nearly every used supersport/superbike to it's maximum potential...so why buy something new/better?

just because you cant push it to its max potential, doesnt mean you wont be able to tell the difference.
I was running older bikes at the track until I made the mistake of trying out the S1000rr on a demo at one of the Pro 6 day, guess what my next purchase was??
I'm not running it anywhere near it potential, but I have a blast on it every time I get to take it out.

North east of Kenndy and Bovaird. I used to be there.... till the cops started showing up on dirt bikes.

I took my kid there a few times on his crf50 way back when. Was good considering its location. One time seen a cop down there stuck in the mud (in a cruiser)...Gave him a couple toots of the horn- along with a hearty wave as we went by...

Last edited:
Agreed. Especially for everyday street use.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

so carbs vs efi are the same thing? slipper clutch is the same as regular? just a marketing gimmick? drum brakes are pretty much the same as ABS? conventional suspension is just as good as semi active?

just because both can get you from A to B doesnt mean thy're the same, you dont want to get a new bike every year? i'm with you on that one, but dont pretend that 10 year old technology is just as good as the latest stuff

A few more people would own multiple bike if insurers would give a break on rates but in spite of one rider only being able to ride one bike at a time there is no break in rates.

You can thank all the 16 year old zero experience kids who are insuring their supersports under daddy's name so they can ride for $1000.00/year instead of $10,000.00/year for that.

And we can't say it's never happened - seen plenty of examples of posted right here over the years, and for everyone that blabs about it in the open, there's probably 1000 that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by mbroyda View Post
but dont pretend that 10 year old technology is just as good as the latest stuff
its not as good but it is about 98% as good

It's not, but there is a reason bikes like the CB500x and Yamaha triples are succeeding in a difficult market and that's offering reasonable tech at reasonable prices.

2014 was a tipping point.....kids FZ8 was $11k in 2013, the FZ9 came out way cheaper ...

Aug 7, 2014 - The Yamaha FZ-09 is one of the most exciting bikes released in the past year. ... Saying this bike has incredible bang-for-your-buck value in no way means that the FZ-09 is either a budget motorcycle or boring in any way. ..
https://www.google.ca/search?client...UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=Y7FSWpnAKc-DX5_qhOAD

Strom riders know that from the get go ....reasonable tech, accessible prices.

It's nice to so the "arms race" in the 250-400 market with price, features and performance providing both value for consumers and downward pressure on last years models and used late model.

Those getting in will move into the newer bikes and some will want advanced features....but I suggest price is the main driver especially for bringing in both younger riders and returning riders.

Low price offsets the punitive insurance of entry/re-entry. Except for ABS ..there is not a lot of "new tech" this is must have and ABS is likely to be legislated in.

Get them riding ....THEN pitch the feature set to the moving up riders.

Honda was on a horrid arc until the 500 series got them back to basics where the 700s sucked and didn't sell.

Adventure is a strong category and the emergence of the 300s is brilliant.

It's price ....most everywhere in the world. Features help in a price war like the 3-400s but a distant second to price.

You can thank all the 16 year old zero experience kids who are insuring their supersports under daddy's name so they can ride for $1000.00/year instead of $10,000.00/year for that.

And we can't say it's never happened - seen plenty of examples of posted right here over the years, and for everyone that blabs about it in the open, there's probably 1000 that don't.

Tin foil hat time but I wonder if the insurers want that to happen every once in a while so they can jack rates and say "See it's not our fault"

And I have requested an "In my dad's name" post be made a sticky it's asked so often.

Back
Top Bottom