Motorcycle gear - Who wears all black? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle gear - Who wears all black?

I just bought a Bohn Armor Cool Aire mesh jacket. There is nothing like it here in the stores. Order on the web from CA. It's like you have nothing on and you don't bake in the heat, yet still protected. https://www.bohnarmor.com/catalog/proddetail.php?prod=BGSC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I would get one just like that except for the fact that I'm #NoHomo
edit: I have to stop posting before I have coffee I sound like such an @$$.
I just meant if I wore that shirt, I'd have a clan of guys following me around on my bike like I do on here. I'm too sexy for that shirt. (but it does look like a blouse ). Much rather the Fox or Thor armoured shirt that MacDoc has posted before.
You'd have to be an idiot to ride in all black knowing how bikes lose the crash contest.

I guess we're idiots.
My "idiot" black leather over your armored blouse. But, to each their own.
"All black everything." Hova. That's how I roll.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk

All black, never had any issue around visibility.

Screw it. I'm just gonna ride in a hi viz safety vest and thong.

Last edited:
That's why I have a silly white jacket. I don't think it looks cool, I just want to be seen.

You'd have to be an idiot to ride in all black knowing how bikes lose the crash contest.

Hahahaha. For reals? The color of my gear isn't going to help in a crash either. My bike is electric blue and white. I wear all black a lot. If you can't see that on a public road then who's the idiot? :dontknow:

Been riding 19 years, always wore black. It is not to look like a badass or anything like that, just hate the flashy colours. Never had an accident on the road in all that time. I make sure I am not in peoples blind spots, my lights, well you cannot miss them, I ride defensively. I do not think me wearing high viz gear would change anything or improve anything.

Exactly how I look at it, the only reason why I have a jacket that isn't black is because I got a super good deal on it.

Don't be so sensitive. If you are wearing a black coat at night and I'm wearing my yellow reflective vest OVERTOP of my coat, who is more visible? Who are you fighting here? It's the people in the cars, that we CANNOT win against that must see us. So if you want to be cool, it might cost you. I've just completed 37 years of safety work - Fire Service - and I can tell you there is no cool in dead.
Re Homo: I'm anything but, however in our 85 F heat I hate riding even though I bought a great armoured coat years ago. Really? The mesh goes under a (bright) long sleeve t-shirt or under a jacket that is nicer to wear than a heavy biking coat. If wearing the jacket, put on a 'dorky' life saving high visibility vest. Simple. Argue this and I believe you argue life. Have you even seen any helmet cam fatal crashes where the car driver simply cuts out in front of a rider who has no choice??

what he said.

I switched because I might as well have been a ghost to other drivers all in black on a grey bike in fog and rain at dusk.
The ghost thing could easily have been real given my lack of Viz.

If nothing else - a Hi-Viz helmet and reflective tape is minimal and shows at all angles.

I also wear full hi-viz yellow Icon rain jacket with reflective tape which I bought the next day.

The helmet works all the time.

The jacket when it's ugly out and actually is a good layer in chilly mornings or evenings when viz is poor.

I'd rather be unfashionable than wheeling around in a wheel chair or casket.

what he said.

I switched because I might as well have been a ghost to other drivers all in black on a grey bike in fog and rain at dusk.
The ghost thing could easily have been real given my lack of Viz.

If nothing else - a Hi-Viz helmet and reflective tape is minimal and shows at all angles.

I also wear full hi-viz yellow Icon rain jacket with reflective tape which I bought the next day.

The helmet works all the time.

The jacket when it's ugly out and actually is a good layer in chilly mornings or evenings when viz is poor.

I'd rather be unfashionable than wheeling around in a wheel chair or casket.

I agree with you, however the difference is that I don't give High Viz the priority that you're giving. The sport has a certain element of thrill and maybe that thrill manifests in a different way for you than me. Rode in rain, dusk and fog and never had a worry if I somehow blended in with the environment in my all black getup. However, I'm not hear to preach on what YOU should wear and I hope that you'll return the same favour to me.

Hahahaha. For reals? The color of my gear isn't going to help in a crash either. My bike is electric blue and white. I wear all black a lot. If you can't see that on a public road then who's the idiot? :dontknow:

The car driver would then be the idiot, but he would most probably be alive. We as bikers can't ultimately win vs a car whether car drivers are unsafe or not. Make sense?

I agree with you, however the difference is that I don't give High Viz the priority that you're giving. The sport has a certain element of thrill and maybe that thrill manifests in a different way for you than me. Rode in rain, dusk and fog and never had a worry if I somehow blended in with the environment in my all black getup. However, I'm not hear to preach on what YOU should wear and I hope that you'll return the same favour to me.

Fair enough. I come a safety background and was just trying to help others see the safety viewpoint. It seems like the past few days I've seen a number of 'black knight' riders. I don't get it.

The car driver would then be the idiot, but he would most probably be alive. We as bikers can't ultimately win vs a car whether car drivers are unsafe or not. Make sense?

Sure we can! Just kick off the car driver's mirror on your way to the grave. That will show them.

You know what they say

56992776.jpg

Don't be so sensitive. If you are wearing a black coat at night and I'm wearing my yellow reflective vest OVERTOP of my coat, who is more visible? Who are you fighting here? It's the people in the cars, that we CANNOT win against that must see us. So if you want to be cool, it might cost you. I've just completed 37 years of safety work - Fire Service - and I can tell you there is no cool in dead.
Re Homo: I'm anything but, however in our 85 F heat I hate riding even though I bought a great armoured coat years ago. Really? The mesh goes under a (bright) long sleeve t-shirt or under a jacket that is nicer to wear than a heavy biking coat. If wearing the jacket, put on a 'dorky' life saving high visibility vest. Simple. Argue this and I believe you argue life. Have you even seen any helmet cam fatal crashes where the car driver simply cuts out in front of a rider who has no choice??

Before I came onto this forum I was wearing a tshirt and runners with a bucket.
So at least I'm nore protected.
My original jacket was all black. My current Joe Rocket has reflective piping.
Wasn't saying you were homo, I thought that shirt was meant to be worn on it's own to cut the heat. Not my cup o tea.
Also, you're new here, so you may not know that I ride a bright purple bike. That's pretty hi viz. Some may also say a little homo. But I likey.
Thinking of going silver for next helmet with Solas tape accents, though.

Sounds good. I would NEVER wear the BOHN on its own. It would then belong in the PRIDE bikers parade! Just tryin to keep my skin.

Shouldn't we all be riding as if we're invisible anyway?

I expect cars to pull out in front of me no matter what I'm wearing.

I've been cut off in an eighteen wheeler back when I used to drive truck... I don't know how I could have been more visible.

Saying that, I've got nothing against hi viz gear and I do have gear that is hi viz and reflective strips.

I don't care much, however, for ******** who preach their way and calls everyone who doesn't agree with them idiots.

I've been cut off in an eighteen wheeler back when I used to drive truck... I don't know how I could have been more visible.

There will always be the occasional @$$ wipe that cuts us off deliberately... A woman driver making a right turn off a side street did this to me a few weeks back.. Pulled up beside her and gave her the thumbs-up for the brilliant move. The look on her face was... 'What did I do?' Seriously lady??? Aside from morons like that, HiViz, for the most part, does its job to prevent serious injury or fatality...

This debate happens in multiple threads in multiple forums every year. The best points I usually get from them are the following:

1. There is no debating Hi Viz is more visible than all black at night.

2. Don't ride motorcycles, they are dangerous.

3. If you ride motorcycles, wear whatever you want but be aware of the consequences.

Feel free to add more.

There will always be the occasional @$$ wipe that cuts us off deliberately... A woman driver making a right turn off a side street did this to me a few weeks back.. Pulled up beside her and gave her the thumbs-up for the brilliant move. The look on her face was... 'What did I do?' Seriously lady??? Aside from morons like that, HiViz, for the most part, does its job to prevent serious injury or fatality...

I had one do the same.. when I questioned her if she saw me in the HiViz vest on the bright Orange bike and why she still pulled out in front of me, she said "yes. but I thought you would change to the other lane... " !!!

I learnt thats the mentality of a lot people here (riders/drivers/pedestrians/young/old/cops/civillians etc) - me first - you look out for yourself..

Back
Top Bottom