Motorcycle Camping | Page 9 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycle Camping

Elora Gorge was cool with motorcycles and did not make us pay extra to bring them on the camp site like you would if you had extra cars on the site. Also, Cyprus campground by Tobermory was good with motorcycles on the camp site as well.

I have stayed in provincial parks and when I have had more than one bike on the site, we have always only had to pay for the price of one. I also think it's a it expensive for a solo rider, but for more than one bike, it becomes a good deal and preferred way for me.

I personally have never been to a provincial park that did not allow bikes.

I personally have never been to a provincial park that did not allow bikes.

For note, Pacific Rim National Park on Vancouver Island has camping spaces reserved for motorcyclists. But don't expect to find one empty if you show up in the evening. They're always busy, and you won't find a campsite if you don't book ahead.

I'm hoping to do Algonquin park this summer - or spring if the weather allows. More for the ride than the camping, but if I can I'll stay for a couple of nights riding the fire roads if I can find them. At the very least I'll camp for a night at Opeongo.

I know the area well from years of tripping so now its all about my bike.

I'm hoping to do Algonquin park this summer - or spring if the weather allows. More for the ride than the camping, but if I can I'll stay for a couple of nights riding the fire roads if I can find them. At the very least I'll camp for a night at Opeongo.

I know the area well from years of tripping so now its all about my bike.

Check out the rail trail north out of Manitoulin Island, you've got the perfect bike for it.

Garbage bags will not burn a hole in your pocket

And they weigh nothing, unlike Ronnies 35lt canoe bag. Packing the sleeping bag in a garbage bag before jamming it into a saddle or hockey bag is cheap insurance against rain.

And + 1 for vagrant camping - it's the best way to get a spot all to yourselves. We camped rough on the Friday night on our way to the New Liskeard bikers reunion last year. Had a huge roaring fire and found out later there was a total fire ban in the area... Oh well no harm no foul.

I wanted to go to summerfest, never been before, but ended up camping with some friends.

f6348bf9.jpg

f95dd795.jpg

e6cefad8.jpg

I am really happy with how much my adv panniers give me, compared to the GS vario panniers. I had my tent, sleeping roll attached to my rear seat. Left pannier had my rain gear, 2 sleeping bags and a pillow. That left the right pannier virtually empty save for one change of cloths, meds, and beer with room to spare.

two mentions of this tent and no names!
can someone let me know the make?

two mentions of this tent and no names!
can someone let me know the make?

This is the newer version, slightly different.
http://www.dualsportplus.com/product_p/ntc-t002y.htm

It is a big tent and packs big, so you need the space on your bike. I dont use it as much, as I am trimming things down, and setup is way faster on a small 2 man tent opposed to this big tent. Very nice when up, just takes a bit more work to get it up.

and i wasnt expecting $500...haha

Any suggestions for starter tent $200 or less. 3 Person. To fit on top of tailbag/side bags.
Sport tourning rig...not packing heavy. very basic camping.

I just want to be dry and have enough room for fun in the tent

and i wasnt expecting $500...haha

Any suggestions for starter tent $200 or less. 3 Person. To fit on top of tailbag/side bags.

Said it a few times, you can get great <$100 tents at steepandcheap.com if you keep an eye on it. None of the canadian tire garbage. Their only downside is that they weight 4LB+, which is great for camping standards, way too much by mountaineering standards. But who cares when it's on the back of the bike.

You can see what they had at http://sacalerts.com/history.php

I have talked to a few people and this is apparently a good tent for the money. http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Tents/3SeasonTents/4Person/PRD~5027-696/mec-camper-4-tent.jsp

That looks very similar to my REI Half Dome 2, though clearly larger. It is indeed a great tent, and at a decent price. The 2-man is a perfect 1-big-person-with-hardboxes size, fast to set up even in the dark, reasonably durable, no problems with rain getting in, free standing (one of my must-have features), and so on.

It is not a superlight or compact tent, but very reasonable for motorcycle camping trips.

I do recommend you also get the fitted ground sheet. Helps protect the floor of the tent against sharp stones, sticks, etc.
The 2-man ground sheet is at http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/Tents/Footprints/PRD~5021-701/mec-camper-2-footprint.jsp

And the gear loft is handy. http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Hikin...ging/PRD~5028-233/mec-universal-gear-loft.jsp

Last edited:

Check out the Eureka El Capitan 3 - 3 person, very good tent - bought from Lebaron for well under $200.

I picked up a Wanderer 2 from Mec for $250 and use a $5 tarp for the footprint. The tent is a little heavy, but I didn't cause any issues on the bike. It packed into my dry bag with my sleeping bag, sleeping pad and 2 blue tarps. I figured I had spent about $400 on cheap tents in my life and they all failed. The best bet is to buy the best you can afford and it will be with you for life. The Wanderer is more then enough room for 2 people with lot of room under the fly for boots and bags.

x8577094731_a760399bf4_n.jpg

Last edited:
I second that!

..Tom

I'll third that. I have a Eureka 3 man that's perfect for myself and two kids. It's a little bulky and heavy and I'd rather have metal poles than fiberglass but it lasts a long time. Mine even fell off the back of my bike a few years ago, I did some repairs to the floor and she's water tight again.

I'll third that. I have a Eureka 3 man that's perfect for myself and two kids. It's a little bulky and heavy and I'd rather have metal poles than fiberglass but it lasts a long time. Mine even fell off the back of my bike a few years ago, I did some repairs to the floor and she's water tight again.

Eureka has a lot of 3-man tents. The El Capitan has Aluminum poles and two vestibules. My 3 man is smaller than the "two man" Crappy tire specials I had been using. It can fit in a Givi E1 sidecase (which I rarely do as I generally prefer to not have sidecases on my bike.)

Below is a picture of my old Strom at the Grand Canyon. My Tent is in the red bag on the back seat, along with a ground sheet, two sleeping bags [Wiggy Nautilis with hood overbag and Hunter Ultralight with Hood], my sleeping pad (Exped Synmat 9dlx) a light sheet [for hot nights] and a camp stool.

GrandCanyon-0124_zpsed947445.jpg

..Tom

I also picked up a Wanderer 2 from MEC but I have the fitted gound sheet and an extra tarp as well. It doesn't take up much space, but it is a bit heavy. Not a problem on my bike since it is space, not weight, that is at a premium. I have used it regularly for the last 4 years. I have always had a dry good night's sleep.

I picked up a Wanderer 2 from Mec for $250 and use a $5 tarp for the footprint. The tent is a little heavy, but I didn't cause any issues on the bike. It packed into my dry bag with my sleeping bag, sleeping pad and 2 blue tarps. I figured I had spent about $400 on cheap tents in my life and they all failed. The best bet is to buy the best you can afford and it will be with you for life. The Wanderer is more then enough room for 2 people with lot of room under the fly for boots and bags.

x8577094731_a760399bf4_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom