Moto Guzzi or Ducati? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto Guzzi or Ducati?

Personally I like the Guzzi over the Duc. I've wanted a V7 for a few years now and I don't care if it's rather underpowered as I think it looks brilliant and has tons of character.

Thats what I'm saying to get a brand new 2014 for under 8 grand is probably the best choice
she's gonna love it! I old her earlier that moto guzzi is probably not a good idea cause of the lack of dealerships. But such a simple bike should be fine! I mean OEM parts shouldn't be that big of a deal right?

Thats what I'm saying to get a brand new 2014 for under 8 grand is probably the best choice
she's gonna love it! I old her earlier that moto guzzi is probably not a good idea cause of the lack of dealerships. But such a simple bike should be fine! I mean OEM parts shouldn't be that big of a deal right?

I haven't had any issue getting any parts for Aprilia, same dealer network as Guzzi. But I haven't needed much. In my experience it's pretty rare that a dealer has what you need in stock if it's anything other than your regular consumables. Its the same wait for it to come in at the big 3 as it is at the exotic brands. Nobody wants to carry inventory anymore.

I haven't had any issue getting any parts for Aprilia, same dealer network as Guzzi. But I haven't needed much. In my experience it's pretty rare that a dealer has what you need in stock if it's anything other than your regular consumables. Its the same wait for it to come in at the big 3 as it is at the exotic brands. Nobody wants to carry inventory anymore.

yes but when i call snowcity, my kawi parts arrive in 2 days! cause kawi itself has parts in stock. dealerships don't most of the time... now how is it with Guzzi? do they have a big manufacturer office where they keep inventory or do the dealerships order straight from italy? big difference.

yes but when i call snowcity, my kawi parts arrive in 2 days! cause kawi itself has parts in stock. dealerships don't most of the time... now how is it with Guzzi? do they have a big manufacturer office where they keep inventory or do the dealerships order straight from italy? big difference.

Don't know the specifics of the supply chain.
But I've had experience with the kawi supply chain. It was no different to get zx12 parts or 300 parts. One being too old and the other too new. Had to wait weeks.
It's random. Had the same with suzuki.
I always buy the passionate choice. Means I'll usually put up with a little more crap to enjoy my toy.
If I buy something off of a spreadsheet I know I'll tire of it quickly. That's just me though.

Don't know the specifics of the supply chain.
But I've had experience with the kawi supply chain. It was no different to get zx12 parts or 300 parts. One being too old and the other too new. Had to wait weeks.
It's random. Had the same with suzuki.
I always buy the passionate choice. Means I'll usually put up with a little more crap to enjoy my toy.
If I buy something off of a spreadsheet I know I'll tire of it quickly. That's just me though.

you're right. my girl keeps telling me "it's gotta be something i love to look at, i use it every day" lol i guess you guys are right... originally she was into Bonnie & V7 .. then came out the Scrambler with that price! i was shocked lol but i keep leaning twards the guzzi. it looks better, for the price u get better performance also... the suspensions on the base bonnie is no good. if you wanna get a proper bonnie u gotta pay quiet a bit more. i see myself starting a really cool scrambler project with that Guzzi. and the fact that it's a very simple bike, i think it's winning me over... just looking at the bike you can tell they pay more attention to details compared to the Bonnie. that's my take anyways.

V7 is shaft drive. That's a nice feature when on long tours. Hate cleaning my chain when I'm out and about. (no center stand). If she isn't a aggressive rider I don't see why the V7 can't do it all. People rode all over the planet on lesser machines once upon a time.

V7 is shaft drive. That's a nice feature when on long tours. Hate cleaning my chain when I'm out and about. (no center stand). If she isn't a aggressive rider I don't see why the V7 can't do it all. People rode all over the planet on lesser machines once upon a time.

what are the downsides of a shaft drive

I get parts in for my rare Aprilia for less money and faster than I did for my 650R.

what are the downsides of a shaft drive

You just don't get it.
Shaft drive has a higher degree of power loss and is the heaviest of the final drives. The jacking effect of a shaft can vary between mild to almost non existent.

Motorcycling is not about power only
you don't get it
the griso has 110 HP with 80 ftlbs of torque
how the hell is it underpowered?
That's why you don't smoke at night before replying to a thread! Lol

I thought I would help you with this one as you have no experience with me or my humour. The Griso is about 99 hp and 75 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel. Being a twin the power characteristics for a street bike are excellent.
Currently I am on my 21st motorcycle with MX bikes, fire breathing liter sport bikes, an adventure bike, a few cruisers, etc.
I currently I own an SV1000S and a VN2000. I get it believe me.

I made the post in jest my son. :)

Hey guys
So we're on the fence here....
Girlfriend is buying a new bike for this season (need one that can handle highway BADLY, time to say goodbye to the S40! lol)

She's into classics...

right now she's fixed on the Duc scrambler...

originally she wanted the Guzzi V7

I, however disagree. I prefer if she gets the Yamaha bolt so i can work on it and make it look cafe/classic-ISH!

i LOVE the Guzzi and the Duc but problem is we live in Canada... maintenance cost on both is higher than Japanese bikes...

i wanted to get your input... what do you think? do you think a Guzzi would be worse than a Ducati to maintain and buy parts for?

PLEASE if you are going to make a suggestion, DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING OLD or a CRUISER! she won't go for it, trust me on this one. just trust me!

by the choices i'm assuming you know the price range too... under 10k.

thanks guys!

Go with the Ducati, I have ridden the V7 and it is not a great bike. At 140kms in the hwy, it was pretty close to maxed out. The brakes are not very good and it vibrates terribly at lower RPM.

Go with the Ducati, I have ridden the V7 and it is not a great bike. At 140kms in the hwy, it was pretty close to maxed out. The brakes are not very good and it vibrates terribly at lower RPM.
at 5o horse power i wouldn't be surprised if it was closet o max out at 140! lol
you brought some good points. in every video i saw, it vibrates quiet a bit at low RPMs!
and you could be right, i mean 1300 dollars difference, is it worth it? i don't know man i'm getting back on the fence again. THIS THREAD WAS SUPPOSE TO HELP ME! LOL

I haven't ridden the Scrambler (I don't think too many people on this site have yet) so I can't really comment to much about how one rides.
I have ridden many Moto Guzzi and as much as I love them, and have even built a few pretty snazzy ones, I don't think I could buy one to ride regularly.

Japanese inline 4s have very interchangeable riding experiences and you can buy whichever one you like the most and make minute changes to tailor its characteristics to the way you want it to ride.

I am not sure if your girlfriend has ridden a Ducati before but Ducatis tend to be very polarizing, you either love the experience or you hate it. The Moto Guzzi is even more so.
I love my Ducatis but I have never owned a Guzzi because it just didn't jive with me, no matter how pretty I think they are.

Both of these bikes are "try before you buy" propositions. Buying one purely on looks or specs will be a mistake.

I thought I would help you with this one as you have no experience with me or my humour. The Griso is about 99 hp and 75 ft lbs of torque at the rear wheel. Being a twin the power characteristics for a street bike are excellent.
Currently I am on my 21st motorcycle with MX bikes, fire breathing liter sport bikes, an adventure bike, a few cruisers, etc.
I currently I own an SV1000S and a VN2000. I get it believe me.

I made the post in jest my son. :)

don't worry i am an ******* most of the time myself. as u've noticed.

Back
Top Bottom