Moto Camping refresher... | GTAMotorcycle.com

Moto Camping refresher...

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Hey all,
Was out at a gathering yesterday and was invited for a week long (or thereabouts) motorcycle camping trip from Toronto to Halifax and back as I'm the only one in the group that's done it before.

Assuming that the Scrambler is still the bike at the time, I think I can make it work considering I had a good experience with the CBR250R but that was well over a decade ago.

I've got a small 1 person tent, the small self-inflating mattress and that's about it. I know I don't need a lot, but looking for SMALL and LIGHT gear recommendations for the trip.

If that trip doesn't pan out, I'm also considering a short 1 or 2 night camping trip as per @i-WERKS thread lower down on his CB500X.

Scrambler currently has the stock soft luggage, and I installed the tail bag also so space is at a premium.

Are you planning to cook your meals along the way, or just eat out? That changes things quite a lot.

Dry bags are your friend when it comes to "strap it on" type packing.

Are you planning to cook your meals along the way, or just eat out? That changes things quite a lot.

Dry bags are your friend when it comes to "strap it on" type packing.
I don't expect to be cooking meals nightly. Most likely arrive in the late afternoon, unpack, and then get some food nearby.

If anything bring some sausages and then heat them up around the campfire.

Look at dry snack options like jerky and mixed nuts then honestly, anything that needs refrigeration adds another level of complexity, or do what I often do - after dinner, grab whatever you want for the evening at a local store before heading to the campground.

A good sleeping bag is essential kit. Nothing will ruin your nights more than being cold, and once we become aclimated to the summer temperatures, even a night that goes down to 15-18 degrees overnight can be uncomfortable when you're sleeping outdoors, especially if it's damp once the sun goes down. I travel with my -10c sleeping bag all year round, even in the summer. If it's hot, I unzip it and sleep mostly on it, getting more underneath it as needed if the weather gets cooler overnight. Some nights I never get under it at all and it makes a nice glorified extra cushion to sleep on if nothing else.

A tent fan is absolutely essential kit, especially in the hot muggy weather. There's lots of rechargeable ones on Amazon you can buy that have hooks to hang from the ceiling of your tent and will run all night even on mediium or high, and that air movement blowing on your body overnight is a game changer for staying comfortable. Even if it's hot as balls out with humidity, I sleep 90% better with that air blowing across my body vs just sitting in stale stagnant unmoving air. I then plug it in on my bike and charge it while underway the next day, along with a small power bank that I keep in my tent to recharge my phone, apple watch, and GoPro overnight.

1703977867336.png

This is the one I have. Has a light as well. Works in a pinch to help get your campfire going, too, just don't get it too close to the fire otherwise, yeah.....thermal reconfiguration.

Otherwise, if you're not cooking and don't need all that stuff, don't overthink it - pack a tarp and some bungees (always useful no matter what you use it for), an emergency change of clothing kept separate from all your other clothing and well sealed against moisture (just in case that main bag of clothes gets wet, it can be a life saver until you can get to a laundrymat or whatever to get the other stuff dry), good rain gear, sunblock, tylenol and ibuprofen, Rain-X for your visor and glasses,...anti-monkey-butt powder if you're riding long days. And all your clothes in a dry bag.

Remember that many campgrounds have laundry facilities so often it's easier to just do laundry once during the week vs trying to pack 7 full days of clothes. Throw a few laundry tabs in your stuff and $5 of quarters/loonies.

Hey if you're looking for one more i could be persuaded easily, Just puttin that out there

This reminds me of my East coast Moto-Camping trip back in 2006.
If I was able to do it on an R6 you can do it on a Scrambler but your new VStrom will be the better choice.

Sorry, I don't have any gear recommendations but I'm super jelly if you do this.

Look at dry snack options like jerky and mixed nuts then honestly, anything that needs refrigeration adds another level of complexity, or do what I often do - after dinner, grab whatever you want for the evening at a local store before heading to the campground.

A good sleeping bag is essential kit. Nothing will ruin your nights more than being cold, and once we become aclimated to the summer temperatures, even a night that goes down to 15-18 degrees overnight can be uncomfortable when you're sleeping outdoors, especially if it's damp once the sun goes down. I travel with my -10c sleeping bag all year round, even in the summer. If it's hot, I unzip it and sleep mostly on it, getting more underneath it as needed if the weather gets cooler overnight. Some nights I never get under it at all and it makes a nice glorified extra cushion to sleep on if nothing else.

A tent fan is absolutely essential kit, especially in the hot muggy weather. There's lots of rechargeable ones on Amazon you can buy that have hooks to hang from the ceiling of your tent and will run all night even on mediium or high, and that air movement blowing on your body overnight is a game changer for staying comfortable. Even if it's hot as balls out with humidity, I sleep 90% better with that air blowing across my body vs just sitting in stale stagnant unmoving air. I then plug it in on my bike and charge it while underway the next day, along with a small power bank that I keep in my tent to recharge my phone, apple watch, and GoPro overnight.

View attachment 65245

This is the one I have. Has a light as well. Works in a pinch to help get your campfire going, too, just don't get it too close to the fire otherwise, yeah.....thermal reconfiguration.

Otherwise, if you're not cooking and don't need all that stuff, don't overthink it - pack a tarp and some bungees (always useful no matter what you use it for), an emergency change of clothing kept separate from all your other clothing and well sealed against moisture (just in case that main bag of clothes gets wet, it can be a life saver until you can get to a laundrymat or whatever to get the other stuff dry), good rain gear, sunblock, tylenol and ibuprofen, Rain-X for your visor and glasses,...anti-monkey-butt powder if you're riding long days. And all your clothes in a dry bag.

Remember that many campgrounds have laundry facilities so often it's easier to just do laundry once during the week vs trying to pack 7 full days of clothes. Throw a few laundry tabs in your stuff and $5 of quarters/loonies.
I mostly agree. I don't carry a sleeping bag nearly that warm. If it's cold, ill wear a fleece to sleep.

On the laundry front, I take old socks and underwear and throw them out as they get dirty. Makes space for things you pick up along the way. Two shirts, wash one in the morning and strap it on the bike yo air dry through the day.

Mp, I like to mc travel with a blue foam pad instead of self inflating. It is strapped on outside of luggage, if blue pad gets wet a quick wipe with a fast dry towel and it's ready. All the the self inflating pads i have remain damp if you get them wet.

I mostly agree. I don't carry a sleeping bag nearly that warm. If it's cold, ill wear a fleece to sleep.

I absolutely despise wearing any sort of restrictive clothing like shirts and stuff for sleeping, personal preference. Less clothing and warmer blanket to regulate is what works best for me at least, but yeah, for someone who is comfortable sleeping in whatever level of clothing would be temperature appropriate, you could absolutely get away with a smaller sleeping bag. But given as how my easyset tent is already obnoxiously large (but it sets up in 15 seconds and takes down in 45!), the bit of extra bulk from the sleeping bag isn't a concern really anymore at that point lol.

I like to mc travel with a blue foam pad instead of self inflating

I used to have one of those.

1704033443960.png

Blue foam gets old real quick. trya a night on it at home just to be sure you're good with it.
When we travel the only cooking is done on an open fire and a stick - it's a wise move - no clean up.
Bring a chair WITH a back. No back rest all day on the bike so you need one at the camp fire.

Blue foam gets old real quick

Back during the worst of my sciatica years I was actually travelling with a full blown 12" air mattress, and I carried an inflator to avoid huffing myself to death. Last few trips I had one of the 3" self-inflators. Unfortunately durability is a concern it seems, I got a hole in mine from something poking through the bottom of the tent I think on my last motocamping trip in October,

As for cooking, if you're going to that level, I love my Biolite - just pickup whatever you can find on the ground that will burn (pinecones, twigs, small branches broken up) and away you go. It'll charge your electronics in a pinch as well with the USB port on it.

I also have a little folding/nesting kit (also visible in the photo) from Sail which works as a pot, frying pan, and has 2 plates and cuttlery inside. Both the biolite and the cooking kit pack up into a pretty darned compact space given all the versatility you end up with for cooking.

1704034836908.png

On the last trip after packing stuff for bigger/fancier meals, I ended up just doing MRE's (just boiling water needed), and ate out more than a few times in the end. I hadn't really taken the super short daylight hours into consideration, plus I just couldn't escape the dampness and weather pretty much the entire trip, so the desire to cook at the end of the day (in the dark) was much reduced. And in the morning the "eat sleep ride" bug hits and I just want to break camp as fast as possible and get moving, so more hot water and a bowl of oatmeal was all I ended up doing.

1704035065412.png

Here's my packing list for a 10 day solo camping (non-cooking) trip in the spring down to the US. This is after doing a decent amount of moto camping and knowing exactly what I have needed on past trips and what never got used. I have around 150L of storage to make this work, but never use it all. Sometimes I skip the side cases and just use a dry bag to store my tent and gear. I would usually stop in at a Subway for lunch and then do a nicer sit down dinner at night. I love moto camping.

Tank Bag:
wall charger + Iphone charger + micro usb cord (overnight charging)
wet cloth + dry cloth for visor/windshield
1 headlamp
misc cash for tolls, etc.

Top Case:
heated gloves, summer gloves,
laptop + charger + case
1 headlamp
running earbuds, 4x extra disposable earplugs
face mask / hand sanitizer
clippers and razor
toothbrush + charger + toothpaste, deodorant, skin cream
bandaid's, polysporin, alcohol wipes, chapstick, first aid kit
1/2 roll of toilet paper
spare ziplock bags
chain lube, 1l of oil
tools (sockets, vice grips, multi screwdriver, allen keys, multitool, zip ties, electrical tape, rok straps, bungee net, tire repair)
spare clutch and brake levers

Right Case:
tea, oats, trailmix, clif bars
MSR Dragonfly stove + fuel + pot
folding camping bowl and cutlery set
tent, thermarest, pillow, sleeping bag, folding camp chair

Left Case:
6x underwear
6x socks
6x t-shirts
2x long sleeved t-shirts
1x hoodie
1x black running shorts
2x jeans
2x jogging pants
toque + baseball cap
1x running shoes

Me + Gear:
Passport, Drivers License, Health card, CAA card, spare bike keys
2x battery packs + 2x micro usb charging cords (for phone/Pactalk while riding)
hydration sack
copies of ID's for wife and on bike, itinerary / financial instructions / passwords for wife
heated jacket

I thought about doing moto camping last year, realized that would just be waaay too much baggage and weight with a tent, and sleeping bag, and a folding chair, propane stove etc etc etc.
(Especially for the kind of riding I like to do)

In addition I learned the south in july gets fairly hot,
and in hindsight cant imagine being comfortable in those temps without AC.

In life I've learned less is often way more.

Here's my packing list for a 10 day solo camping (non-cooking) trip in the spring down to the US. This is after doing a decent amount of moto camping and knowing exactly what I have needed on past trips and what never got used. I have around 150L of storage to make this work, but never use it all. Sometimes I skip the side cases and just use a dry bag to store my tent and gear. I would usually stop in at a Subway for lunch and then do a nicer sit down dinner at night. I love moto camping.

Tank Bag:
1 headlamp

Top Case:
laptop + charger + case
1 headlamp
clippers and razor
bandaid's, polysporin, alcohol wipes, chapstick, first aid kit
1/2 roll of toilet paper
spare ziplock bags
chain lube, 1l of oil
tools (sockets, vice grips, multi screwdriver, allen keys, multitool, zip ties, electrical tape, rok straps, bungee net, tire repair)

Right Case:
tea, oats, trailmix, clif bars
MSR Dragonfly stove + fuel + pot
folding camping bowl and cutlery set

Left Case:
6x underwear
6x socks
6x t-shirts
2x long sleeved t-shirts
1x hoodie
1x black running shorts
2x jeans
2x jogging pants
toque + baseball cap
1x running shoes

Me + Gear:
Passport, Drivers License, Health card, CAA card, spare bike keys
hydration sack
copies of ID's for wife and on bike, itinerary / financial instructions / passwords for wife
heated jacket
Tank Bag:
1 headlamp

Top Case:
laptop + charger + case
1 headlamp
clippers and razor

First aid kit: bandaid's, polysporin, alcohol wipes, chapstick, Advil, emergency oxys, tweezers, gauze pads.
1/2 roll of toilet paper
spare ziplock bags
chain lube, 1l of oil
Thermocell and refils
Hatchet

Right Case:
tea, oats, trailmix, clif bars, coffee, scotch
MSR Dragonfly titanium butane stove + fuel + pot coffee perc,
folding camping bowl and cutlery set, melamine cup
2x BIC lighters (real BICs only)

Left Case:
6x underwear
6x socks
6x 3x t-shirts
1 long sleeved t-shirts
1x hoodie
1x black running shorts
2x 1x jeans
2x jogging pants
toque +
baseball cap
1x running shoes

Me + Gear:
Passport, Drivers License, Health card, CAA premier card, spare bike keys, travel insurance
hydration sack
heated jacket

Cat tourniquet in your riding jacket in a location that can be reached by either arm is a great idea. Practice using it one-handed with each hand. Practice on arms and legs. A few seconds in a tourniquet while you practice isn't going to hurt you long-term. Ideally have a practice tourniquet and your game-time ones but most people won't spend that much. Could save your life while you're sitting in a ditch.

@mimico_polak
Look what I found.

I'll ride 2 up with you to pick this up from NC. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

1704048669108.png

Cat tourniquet in your riding jacket in a location that can be reached by either arm is a great idea. Practice using it one-handed with each hand. Practice on arms and legs. A few seconds in a tourniquet while you practice isn't going to hurt you long-term. Ideally have a practice tourniquet and your game-time ones but most people won't spend that much. Could save your life while you're sitting in a ditch.
I can reach my Oxys one handed.

I can reach my Oxys one handed.
That assumes you are within arms reach of the bike. I assume the bike has gone on its own adventure. I need life support with me, not with my bike. Ime, top box is the first to explode in a crash. Life support spread over a few hundred feet is almost useless to me.

Back
Top Bottom