Mind your hydration levels - brutal couple od days ahead | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Mind your hydration levels - brutal couple od days ahead

Re: Mind your hydration levels - brutal couple of days ahead

Something is missing from that list, I will check it out and c u on Tuesday.
I actually hate that word too. I reserve it for the lowest of the low.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

I'm surprised that word isn't on the list. It's so vulgar!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

That's what makes it so effective. I know one.

Something is missing from that list, I will check it out and c u on Tuesday.

I actually hate that word too. I reserve it for the lowest of the low.

Sent from my custom purple Joe Bass mobile device using Tapatalk

Cuot? Ya me too.

Not gonna quit ...3 more 30+ in a row this weekend...

leaving early for sure Saturday....Scott jacket just not designed for those temps ....at least its predicted to be ONLY 28 in Rouyn-Noranda :rolleyes:

Not gonna quit ...3 more 30+ in a row this weekend...

leaving early for sure Saturday....Scott jacket just not designed for those temps ....at least its predicted to be ONLY 28 in Rouyn-Noranda :rolleyes:

We are heading out Friday for over 1000K total over 3 days.

I'll take hot and sunny over cool and rainy riding any day. ;)

We are heading out Friday for over 1000K total over 3 days.

I'll take hot and sunny over cool and rainy riding any day. ;)

I'll take that to mean the grass is not greener when cool and rainy?

Grass might be, but they are either on dirt or asphalt....not grass.

Grass might be, but they are either on dirt or asphalt....not grass.

It's just an expression. Usually there's fence involved. Maybe that's where the confusion came from.

invisible electric fence + rainy = ouch on contact

I was on a trip with my wife the first week of June and on our way back from New Hampshire we hit that first heatwave of the season which we were not prepared for (it had snowed North of Toronto just under 2 weeks before). Previously, we'd been camping most nights with the temperatures dipping to 7 degrees overnight, then passing through Vermont into New York on the second last day (Friday) it hit 33 degrees. First time I ever experienced heat exhaustion - fever, nausea, etc. through the night. Riding through the heat that day, I didn't realized I was as dehydrated as I was. It is NOT fun. The next day was also 33 degrees, and we had to travel 700kms to get home – Getting up at 6am to beat the afternoon heat (it was still 26 degrees in the morning). Every hour we stopped to rest for 20-30 minutes in an air conditioned place. Passing through Kingston on the long 401 slab in the heat, felt like a constant blast of hot air.

Stay safe out there. It took me 3 days to fully recover. If it's crazy hot out, make a stop to soak your t-shirt with tap water. Throw the jacket overtop of it, and it'll keep you cool for a good amount of time.

Last edited:

Are you in really bad shape? Maybe see a Dr. that doesn't sound normal.

I was on a trip with my wife the first week of June and on our way back from New Hampshire we hit that first heatwave of the season which we were not prepared for (it had snowed North of Toronto just under 2 weeks before). Previously, we'd been camping most nights with the temperatures dipping to 7 degrees overnight, then passing through Vermont into New York on the second last day (Friday) it hit 33 degrees. First time I ever experienced heat exhaustion - fever, nausea, etc. through the night. Riding through the heat that day, I didn't realized I was as dehydrated as I was. It is NOT fun. The next day was also 33 degrees, and we had to travel 700kms to get home – Getting up at 6am to beat the afternoon heat (it was still 26 degrees in the morning). Every hour we stopped to rest for 20-30 minutes in an air conditioned place. Passing through Kingston on the long 401 slab in the heat, felt like a constant blast of hot air.

Stay safe out there. It took me 3 days to fully recover. If it's crazy hot out, make a stop to soak your t-shirt with tap water. Throw the jacket overtop of it, and it'll keep you cool for a good amount of time.

Just a thought to anyone who ends up in a similar situation -- It might be best to take an extra day and just rent an air conditioned motel/hotel room and rest, relax, and drink a lot of fluids, vs pushing through and potentially risking health issues or a lapse of judgement causing an accident or worse...especially on a bike.

Also, contrary to some beliefs, it might be better if you wear a jacket than ride squid (if you were) -- Reason being is if you are just in a t-shirt any sweat will evaporate immediately before it has a chance to cool you down, as well as ad to the feeling of riding in a blast furnace. Although it would seem dumb to wear a jacket, if it is a lighter textile or partial mesh, it allows you cool yourself down better using a microclimate in the jacket. I know last weekend I was stuck in traffic in Port Perry on a group ride for 30-45 mins. Soaked my t-shirt in my jacket completely, which did help cool me down once things got moving. Just had to remember to drink a bunch of water an hour or so later when taking a quick break.

Last edited:

The soft underbelly of modern life coming home to roast. At least you didn't get scurvy.

Just a thought to anyone who ends up in a similar situation -- It might be best to take an extra day and just rent an air conditioned motel/hotel room and rest, relax, and drink a lot of fluids, vs pushing through and potentially risking health issues or a lapse of judgement causing an accident or worse...especially on a bike.

Also, contrary to some beliefs, it might be better if you wear a jacket than ride squid (if you were) -- Reason being is if you are just in a t-shirt any sweat will evaporate immediately before it has a chance to cool you down, as well as ad to the feeling of riding in a blast furnace. Although it would seem dumb to wear a jacket, if it is a lighter textile or partial mesh, it allows you cool yourself down better using a microclimate in the jacket. I know last weekend I was stuck in traffic in Port Perry on a group ride for 30-45 mins. Soaked my t-shirt in my jacket completely, which did help cool me down once things got moving. Just had to remember to drink a bunch of water an hour or so later when taking a quick break.

Yes, good advice. The next morning I'd improved with the fever gone. If I was in the same shape as the evening before I wouldn't have left the hotel - staying the extra day was the backup plan.

I was wearing full gear at the time. The mesh jacket I was wearing may have been too light with too much air flow, drying me out. My wife had a Gortex jacket which probably kept her more hydrated with the sweat. Seems contrary from what you'd expect but it makes sense.

Above a certain temperature there is no wind chill. They say riding in that is actually worse than standing still. That's right, standing still.

Back
Top Bottom