Min wage increase | Page 29 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Min wage increase

A friendly reminder, to no one in particular: the minimum wage hike was always expected to make things more expensive. So complaining that things are getting more expensive due to the minimum wage hike is a bit uhhh... rich.

Sucks more for unionized tradesmen. I gained skills and learned a trade to make a decent buck, now my decent buck isn't very decent anymore, and I'm stuck with it because it's a union contract. And if a union wants more than 1% per year at contract time then you better be ready for 3-6 months of fire barrels and picket signs, and an instant loss of 12-25k in wages. Hard to keep up at 1% per year when 15 years of liberal rule has seen the cost of literally everything jump more than double in that time. I may sound old when I say things like I remember when smokes were $3 a pack, or when gas was 45 cents a liter, or bread was 79 cents etc etc etc. But the truth is, it wasn't that long ago, not long at all. My parents' house cost them 89k 20 years ago, comps in the neighbourhood are over 300 now. 15 years ago an apartment cost me $500/m inclusive, now it's minimum $1k/m plus h+h, in Hamilton... HAMILTON. This is the city where Toronto social workers used to bus their welfare clients to, and it's become too expensive for the working class to afford. Yeah Liberals are great for the poor :banghead:

Oh recent example of the wonderous effects of the min wage increase. Girlfriend just had a job interview this week at an optical store. They told her she's just what they're looking for, but they need to wait and see if they can get a wage subsidy from her employment program, who has btw already run out of their wage subsidy allocation for the year. So basically, the only way this helps the poor, is if they're in a government funded employment program so that employers can get half of this ridiculousness covered by the government. And who funds the government? You guessed it.

I got a giggle out of your post. My mom quit smoking when they went up to 35 cents a pack. When I got married gas was 29 cents a GALLON. My brand new 1970 Corolla ($1979.00) anoyed the crap out of me because it wouldn't take a $4.00 fill-up of premium that would entitle me to a free bottle of Pepsi.

In the mid 1960's the minimum wage was $0.80 IIRC. Now it's 18 times that. A decent job was $5K a year and now its 20 times that BUT the house we were living in then was worth $15,000.00. Now it's $1.5 million, a hundred times the old price.

Bread or a quart of milk was under a quarter.

In the 1970's my cheapskate brother-in-law got my wife to buy him an ice cream cone because he didn't want to break a one dollar bill. Yes, that cheap.

Where in the Hammer do you get a house for $300K? My daughter bought near Gage Park 10 years ago well under $200K and they are now double that for a fixer upper.

Optical store needs a government subsidy? My daughter worked in one and quit because of the pricing con games. Weigh a pair of glasses and calculate the cost per pound. It's the opticals they say. Price a decent SLR camera that also happens to have opticals.

Back to basics, it's a shame we don't understand English anymore. People make statements that roll nicely off the tongue but are a total deception and we accept the statements as valid.

Picket sign says "I DESERVE A HOUSE"

NO B**** You deserve the opportunity to get a good education and the presence of stable banking system that together will enable you to earn a decent living so that if you live prudently you can save enough money to buy a house.

My version doesn't fit on a picket sign.

Last edited:
Everybody is entitled to something these days! Nobody wants to earn it.

Optical store needs a government subsidy? My daughter worked in one and quit because of the pricing con games. Weigh a pair of glasses and calculate the cost per pound. It's the opticals they say. Price a decent SLR camera that also happens to have opticals.

Now there's something worth talking about. Luxottica is one of the most obviously crooked operations around, when is that going to get toppled

Now there's something worth talking about. Luxottica is one of the most obviously crooked operations around, when is that going to get toppled

I'm going by recall but my daughter's problem with their ethics might have been up-selling.

You up-sold glasses for a kid by pushing more expensive plastic lenses because they won't break.

You up-sold glasses for an adult by pushing more expensive glass lenses because they won't scratch.

Even non-prescription Raybans @ $200 a pop and up. They weigh an ounce. $3200 a pound, $7000 a Kg.

Any wonder why Pacific Mall exists.

I'm aware that tinted glass doesn't give UV protection so be aware of tinted glasses that don't offer UV protection as they could be worse than nothing, tricking your eyes into thinking they're protected.

but you forget the cost of style and brand name......lol

Gotta laugh at ppl(relative) buying LV cause the ugly logo is plastered all over the outside.

I just came from the theatre.... Nobody working the till for tickets. Replaced by self serving kiosks. Good job Wynne now the kids are going to get a hard time getting a summer job.

I just came from the theatre.... Nobody working the till for tickets. Replaced by self serving kiosks. Good job Wynne now the kids are going to get a hard time getting a summer job.
Do you actually think any business would keep people even if they cost $5/hr if they could be replaced by kiosks? This was coming anyways, the wage increase just helped them rationalize it. Libs got some votes, the cons mouths foamed and secured even more votes for the libs.

Do you actually think any business would keep people even if they cost $5/hr if they could be replaced by kiosks? This was coming anyways, the wage increase just helped them rationalize it. Libs got some votes, the cons mouths foamed and secured even more votes for the libs.

Remember the times before UPC's? Someone had to put a price sticker on every can of peas. Price check line four! Now no benefits, sexual harassment issues, overtime, vacation pay, WSIB, employment insurance, CPP, OHIP. Higher wages increase those as well. Expect more self check outs at the grocery store.

There is an employee head count number that triggers a whole new list of problems for the employer. If you can drop your employee count below that number you can beat some costly regulations under a small business ruling.

For example small businesses get tax breaks (No OHIP isn't free) and access to grants.

As a customer I would like a person to serve me to process special payments or discount. Any questions that I may have too.

I do not think people would've lost their jobs if they had to pay them $15

If this happened this year in Ontario you'd be saying "good job Wynne".

http://nationalpost.com/news/world/...citizens-to-pump-their-own-gas-for-first-time

Point is these things happen. ATMs, self-serve gas, McDonald's self-serve Kiosks. Business is gonna business.

BTW the min wage increase was always predicted to cause a loss of some lower wage jobs to automation. Just as it was always expected to cause prices to increase. Of course detractors act like those are the *only* outcomes of the change, but they're really not. Prices have increased continuously since forever, same with job automation. Those are hardly markers of a suffering economy!

Last edited:
Climate change happens on it's own too, lots of things happen on their own without some idiot trying to accelerate the **** out f it. Hell let's just cut to the chase, make minimum wage $100 now instead of waiting 30 years, and see what a dollar is worth tomorrow. Or how about this, population is gonna grow anyway, lets just nix the birth control and everybody start banging everybody, atleast that will be fun. Oh I have a good idea, everyone is going to die anyway, let's just legalize murder and give everybody guns.

It's always easy to say "oh well it was going to happen anyway".

FYI, yes the results were predicted, but only by conservatives. Lefties have always assumed that that business could, should and would just absorb the blow.

Climate change happens on it's own too, lots of things happen on their own without some idiot trying to accelerate the **** out f it. Hell let's just cut to the chase, make minimum wage $100 now instead of waiting 30 years, and see what a dollar is worth tomorrow. Or how about this, population is gonna grow anyway, lets just nix the birth control and everybody start banging everybody, atleast that will be fun. Oh I have a good idea, everyone is going to die anyway, let's just legalize murder and give everybody guns.

FYI, yes the results were predicted, but only by conservatives. Lefties have always assumed that that business could, should and would just absorb the blow.

Strong parallels. Brilliant.

Remember the times before UPC's? Someone had to put a price sticker on every can of peas. Price check line four! Now no benefits, sexual harassment issues, overtime, vacation pay, WSIB, employment insurance, CPP, OHIP. Higher wages increase those as well. Expect more self check outs at the grocery store.

There is an employee head count number that triggers a whole new list of problems for the employer. If you can drop your employee count below that number you can beat some costly regulations under a small business ruling.

For example small businesses get tax breaks (No OHIP isn't free) and access to grants.
Stickers were a small part of the job. Someone still has to stock and face everything.

BTW the min wage increase was always predicted to cause a loss of some lower wage jobs to automation. Just as it was always expected to cause prices to increase. !

I thought you guys fight for the poor? How is that going to fight poverty?

I get it, you fight for the lazy.

I agree it's too much too fast, but the whining is against any increase at all.

Stickers were a small part of the job. Someone still has to stock and face everything.

You obviously didn't work the frozen food aisle. For every single item you had to warm a spot, stick a price sticker on and hold it there until it stuck. Yes, a case of Campbell soup cans could be priced in less than 5 seconds. A case of frozen juice cans would take significantly longer.

I thought you guys fight for the poor? How is that going to fight poverty?

I get it, you fight for the lazy.
I don't know who 'you guys' is. If you stop thinking about society as a competition between 'sides' you might understand things more clearly.

I agree it's too much too fast, but the whining is against any increase at all.
I didn't read it like that. I think most ppl are complaining about the too much too fast. I personally have never had a $4/ hour raise. I won't even get into %

Sent from the purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Back
Top Bottom