MAPLE LEAFS SUCK | Page 32 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MAPLE LEAFS SUCK

they will never win until they give away Franson and Phaneuf. 2 of the most useless players in the game today.

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

Trade Gardiner and Clarkson as well. Unfortunately Phaneuf and Clarkson have ridiculous contracts.

Trade Gardiner and Clarkson as well. Unfortunately Phaneuf and Clarkson have ridiculous contracts.

Gardiner and Rielly are the best young defensemen we have. Clarkson is the only toughness left on the team.

Gardiner is highly inconsistent and soft or physically unmotivated. I'd say polak and komorov are tougher than Clarkson.

big hopes for both of those players, but major disappoints.

Gardiner and Rielly are the best young defensemen we have. Clarkson is the only toughness left on the team.

Clarkson is overpaid and useless

Man, do I ever miss Grabo.

Now there was a guy who always showed up to work and who always punched above his weight. He's obviously not one of the league's elite, but he's a solid guy and there was time when that guy was basically carrying the team (from before they got Phaneuf to a little while after) and look at the credit he got. He was easily my favourite Leaf, but he had the misfortune of being one of the first to give up on Carlyle. So of course they shipped him off for nothing of value.

They should've dumped Carlyle back then instead. Happy to see Grabo doing well though.

Last edited:
Gardiner is highly inconsistent and soft or physically unmotivated. I'd say polak and komorov are tougher than Clarkson.

big hopes for both of those players, but major disappoints.

ya like Polak or Komorov are going to take on any of the tough guys in the league., Gardiner is still young, but he is still better then anyone we have. Gardiner and Reilly are the only two guys that can create a rush from their own zone, and turn it into a scoring chance. The pilon and Franson are useless, both of them give the puck away in our zone consistantly. I still don't understand why Smith is up and not Kozun.

Man, do I ever miss Grabo.

Now there was a guy who always showed up to work and who always punched above his weight. He's obviously not one of the league's elite, but he's a solid guy and there was time when that guy was basically carrying the team (from before they got Phaneuf to a little while after) and look at the credit he got. He was easily my favourite Leaf, but he had the misfortune of being one of the first to give up on Carlyle. So of course they shipped him off for nothing of value.

They should've dumped Carlyle back then instead. Happy to see Grabo doing well though.

Carlyle's record of 21-16 this season, guy should be coach of the year.

Team has so much money and time tied up in the contracts of Phaneuf, Clarkson and Kessel.

Only way out of this is to draft better, way better. This has been the weakest link of the organization for many years.

The way I understand it this is challenged by the cap issues? Don't they need cap room to bring up Marlies? If they have enough people on 2 way deals then they can trade back and forth, but i don't think the big money guys have contracts that allow them to be assigned down.

You can put them upstairs as healthy scratches, but that still hits the cap

I think you nailed it Ted. I never think of the business side. Logic gets in the way far too often.

Y'all see Polak's face last night after his repairs? Yikes.

Carlyle's record of 21-16 this season, guy should be coach of the year.

Team has so much money and time tied up in the contracts of Phaneuf, Clarkson and Kessel.

Only way out of this is to draft better, way better. This has been the weakest link of the organization for many years.

Agree with last 2 points for sure.

There is an element of luck in the draft as well. It's like the futures market and crystal ball gazing. Past performance may not be a reliable indicator of future success.

Past performance may not be a reliable indicator of future success.

and this isn't even a true indicator of trades either. If(?) they could trade Phaneuf, he just might decide to play at the next destination, while you deal with the turd you got for him...

As far a the draft goes, finishing 9th and 10th in your division year after year doesn't get you any closer to the prize draft picks either

As far a the draft goes, finishing 9th and 10th in your division year after year doesn't get you any closer to the prize draft picks either

True dat, but look at the Red Wings. They haven't had a high draft pick in ages and they still manage to work with what they pick.
They also spend a lot less money on theirs scouting staff than the Leafs.

One of the huge ways the Leafs are blowing this is the way they actually don't use their financial resources in the ways which are perfectly legal.

They could afford the largest (and best) scouting team in the NHL. They could afford intensive player support (like Vancouver set a few years back up to give them an edge to offset all the travel they have to face). They could have the best analytics in the League. I'd have said hire a great coach too, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the plan really is Babcock.

Hell, that last one's perfect for guys who're too used to the business world and aren't as sure of themselves in the hockey world.

One of the huge ways the Leafs are blowing this is the way they actually don't use their financial resources in the ways which are perfectly legal.

They could afford the largest (and best) scouting team in the NHL. They could afford intensive player support (like Vancouver set a few years back up to give them an edge to offset all the travel they have to face). They could have the best analytics in the League. I'd have said hire a great coach too, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume the plan really is Babcock.

Hell, that last one's perfect for guys who're too used to the business world and aren't as sure of themselves in the hockey world.

Agreed and hopefully that's what Shanahan has been working on.
He did hire a young assistant GM with a new view on analytics, hope that that is not just window dressing.

True dat, but look at the Red Wings. They haven't had a high draft pick in ages and they still manage to work with what they pick.
They also spend a lot less money on theirs scouting staff than the Leafs.

One word: Culture.

The culture of the organization rolls all the way through from the front office into the dressing room.

One word: Culture.

The culture of the organization rolls all the way through from the front office into the dressing room.

Absolutely, which is why they started with the front office.
Btw I heard the other day that Shanahan suggested to Kessel playing the left wing and Kessel's response was 'no' LOL

Absolutely, which is why they started with the front office.
Btw I heard the other day that Shanahan suggested to Kessel playing the left wing and Kessel's response was 'no' LOL

Makes sense. The center has to be the most defensively responsible forward, helping out below the goal line if necessary. Wingers can hang around the points.

Back
Top Bottom